“If I could choose a zero score, I would. One word.. FLEAS!!”

The Mountaineer Inn
Ranked #33 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2013

ThIs place was suggested by the visitor center as an inexpensive place to stay. They are currently renovating, but that actually would be a big improvement. The cost was on the low side... Compared to many of the other places in Asheville. $90 compared to $350 and up. But I got much LESS then I paid for. First, my room smelled bad when I walked in.... And I mean REALLY BAD!! The carpet was probably 30 years old and the room was not one of the recently renovated. The bathroom was in sad shape as well, so much so, I did not use the shower. (I was actually afraid to use it) The standing lamp was just a light bulb, no shade... Nothing to cover the bulb at all. The TV was probably 30 years old. BUT......... To top it off......... The room had FLEAS!! They were in the carpets... In the beds... And I suspect there was quite an infestation. I could see them hopping on the bed. In the morning when I spoke to the owner to tell them about the fleas, he said they were probably from the guest who stayed there the night before me. NO WAY.. Unless the pet was severely infested.. There were too many to be a random event. The only thing the owner offered me for my miserable sleepless night was a cup of "complimentary" coffee!! After my sleepless night of itching... I took my things and "RAN"!! A suggestion for those thinking about visiting the Asheville area and looking for an inexpensive place to stay... Stay outside of Ashville in Hendersonville. You can find reasonable rates... Even less then what I paid for this flea trap.. And you are only about a half hour from Downtown Asheville. Luckily my next night after this motel was in a very nice Ramada Inn and the rates were $30 LESS per night!! With all the comforts of a decent chain hotel... PLUS complimentary breakfast!!

Room Tip: Stay AWAY from this flea trap!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Familygal845

Reviewed 29 September 2013

There are multiple things I liked about this place. I know a lot of people say it's old and outdated but I think that's what gives it it's charm. As for cleanliness, it wasn't an issue for us. It's close to downtown, has a pool, and beautiful fig trees on the property. Pick some figs, they are delicious. The one thing that really made the stay memorable was the owner, Chris. He's friendly, funny and has a lot of interesting things to say. The free breakfast is nice, but the Greek coffee that Chris went out of his way to make me was even nicer. The place is old fashioned but I enjoyed staying here if only to have met Chris (and for the figs.)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Don't bother ... Make a U turn and get out.
This place was dirty with bugs all over the room ..
Internet didn't work..
Crash there if your desperate but that's about it .
Lots of sketchy characters hanging around the front of the building.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Millsey31
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

This is my bad review here, but dare I say it was earned. And if you read my other hotel reviews, you'll see that I was bitten by an unknown bug in the dark at a Days Inn in Virginia and I still recommended it so I'm not exactly a diva. My story:

I booked my room for $50 a few weeks in advance. Great price for Asheville, with great-looking photos of the hotel. Bad reviews interspersed, but honestly if you care more about kitschy character and value than pseudo-spas, bad reviews roll off your back. And upon arriving at the hotel, my hopes appeared justified - the neon and gigantic Jed Clampettish guy with the serious character formation flaws gave it the Hillbilly Route 66 vibe I wanted.

Then I went to check in. There were a few others waiting. The elderly lady working informed me I was "out of luck", that they were out of rooms. When I told her I had a reservation, she gave me a dead look back and repeated. However one of the guys waiting was not actually checking in but handing back keys for a room that he refused to stay in - Room 129. This became my only shot, on a night when apparently every other hotel in Asheville was booked. Gotta love that choice. The old lady at the desk made a comment that the rejection probably happened because 129 was on a lower level. (In retrospect, I can't tell if she was in denial or just being cynical.) So I booked it.

The good: the room looks just as kitschy as you'd hope - wood paneling, a 30-year-old Zenith tv, screen doors, etc.

The bad:
- the room had a HORRIBLE smell. Couldn't tell if it was moisture in the carpet (as the carpet all over the room was wet) or mold. Toilet seat had dark coloration that at least suggested latter. I survived by breathing through my mouth. My wife later said, "I've stayed in places where my safety has been at risk, but this is the first time I've stayed at a place where my health is at risk!"
- My kids had fallen asleep on the drive so I laid them on the bed as is. I got in the other bed and felt dirt under the pillow. I also felt dirt throughout the night as I shifted - unprompted, my 7-year-old reported the same from her bed later the next day. My wife and I decided to sleep with our clothes on to be safe.
- in the middle of the night, my wife heard a buzzing that turned out to be a bee or wasp in the room. (I guess the former based on other reviews.) She trapped it in the bathroom and with that we said to each other, ENOUGH.

As soon as our kids showed signs of waking the next morning, we rushed them out of bed and straight into the car. Keys dropped off at the front and we were off. No matter what, our day was guaranteed to improve from there.

From reviews, there are apparently good and bad rooms, and not all are this bad. If that's the case, this place should do us all a favor and just shut down the 129-style rooms, or offer them at a $5 "buyer beware" rate or something. I will NEVER give them another chance. And geez, if someone reserves a room then for goodness sake just hold the room! Or call if a phone number is listed before you potentially ruin someone's night.

This place looks great from the outside, but it's deeply flawed internally. Let's hope some of that mountain air cleans out these people's senses.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank ScottInPTC-GA
Reviewed 21 July 2013

A late arrivel in town and no availibility in other places was the reasen we slept in this motel.
When I asked the manager if the room was ok he answered it was a beautifull room. So I payed and that was stumperd of me. We had a very dirty room. Nonsmoking room with an ashtray and burned cigaretwholes in the blankets. The smell was awfull and the dust on the the lamps and furniture dated from the other century! No cleaned window, armchair with spots. Is was so squared to sleep in the bed... But I payed in advance more than 90 dollars. The breakfast in the office was the best thing: toast with jam and bananas and coffee. When I told the lady at the desk this room needed a huge cleaning, she did not react. So, I like to waren other tourists for this.....
This was a nightmare for me, fortunately for one night.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before paying, from now on I do if there is doubt!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DivinaSan
Reviewed 5 July 2013

...but its not. There's a lot of potential here, but its wasted. The rooms are dirty the beds are horrible, even for cheap motel standards. It is however close to downtown and quick and cheap to get a cab if you're looking for a night of partying. The value is lost though when you come back to your room and pull back the sheets to find little black specks and a sheet that looks like it has oil stains on it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed here for a night in Asheville on a road trip with my dog. The rate was $50 plus a $25 pet fee (which was the most expensive pet fee I paid out of the 4 motels I stayed in during the trip, making this motel the most expensive one of the trip). The room lacked amenities that the other cheap motels had. The room smelled a bit musty and the carpet wasn't the cleanest (heck, it was even bumped up in parts from being overly stretched). The air conditioner was loud. The curtains did a poor job at blocking light (there were 2 tracks and only the outer track had curtains). The fridge was a cube fridge, as seen in a college dorm.

I am not the type of person who usually cares about these things, but even for a cheap motel (and I regularly stay in cheap motels), it was below average. It had a pool, which was lacking water. I don't know if this is normal or just because it was before Memorial Day (even though it had been above 80 before it rained that night). There was a continental breakfast, which didn't look spectacular, but I got a banana out of the deal, which was good.

Other than the room, the service was fine. The people at the front desk were helpful and pleasant. But they need to do some renovations before I'll consider giving it a higher rating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo