“Very pleasant but not exceptional...”

Red Roof Inn Asheville West
Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Very pleasant but not exceptional...”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here at the tail end of a lengthy road trip. When I compare the cost to everywhere else I stayed it was not a good value. No breakfast, no microwave, no refrigerator, no hair dryer. I have come to expect most of these things at 2 star properties. I understand that prices in Asheville are high but this is still a pretty spartan package.

That said, the office staff are delightful, very courteous and helpful. Their are franchises within easy walking distance. Our room was spotless. The motel is a long way from downtown and the drive isn't fun when there is traffic. But West Asheville is way cooler anyway. Lots of excellent dining and the Regional Farmer's Market.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

These guys are really trying with these refurbished room locations. Our room a king double deluxe was new clean and bright but fairly small.Nice new flat screen tv. Bathroom was all new and clean and bright. Our sink was almost plugged and would take forever to drain. No noise to bother us. Bed linens all crisp white and new.A tricky location can be seen but tough to find turning gps got it after second lap lol! So yes good value value for budget room. No breakfast available but coffee and hot water for tea 24/7.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank agj232
Stanwich, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is our second RRI in two weeks of traveling. $72 is a great deal. Clean modern room with a nice TV, a good shower and a decent WiFi connection. You don't get breakfast or a pool, but it's $72!!!!!!! The two full beds were comfy and the climate control was fine. The refrigerator worked well. It is right off the interstate so it is PERFECT for a one night stay on a road trip.

Room Tip: get the better room so I am told
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

First of all I just want to say that my overall stay was awesome. The room was spotless and cozy. They're pet friendly and don't charge a fee. A real plus when traveling with your furry companion. The location was perfect. About 10 mins from downtown. The price was unbeatable. However upon check in I experienced probably one of the rudest hotel clerks I've ever encountered. I had called the day before and requested an early check in since my travel plans had changed and I was going to arrive earlier than expected. I was told by the night clerk that if a room was clean and available that they would be more than happy to honor the early check in request. When I arrived around 11am(normal check in is 1pm) to try and check in I was greeted by a very rude gruff woman. She snapped at me when I ask to check in. Saying check in wasn't until after 1. I told her about the conversation I had the night before with the previous clerk and she replied "They don't know what they're talking about. You can come back at 1!" Really? You can be a little more humble than that. If a room wasn't available I feel like there could have been a nicer way of putting it. I've just never been treated so rudely. But I will say other than her everyone else was nice and welcoming. My housekeeper was really sweet too and always kept my room spotless.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank WanderlustNomad77
WI
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The place was clean and typical for Redroof. This location is noisy right next to the freeway, you can see that so it's not really a complaint just an fyi. Some sort of food in the morning would have been nice so they lose a rating for that. The Wi-Fi is my real issue it's important for me to keep in contact with my customers. The hotspots are few and far between and once your in your concrete bunker the signal is all but gone. Tethering my cell phone worked fine but I shouldn't have to do that when I'm in a hotel with Wi-Fi. The front desk wasn't any help at all.

Room Tip: Get on the opposite side of the Freeway and next to one of the few hotspots if you need wi-fi.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Cincinnati
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Asheville is the halfway point for us to drive to the beach. Picked this Red Roof based on a couple criteria: they are one of the decently-rated pet-friendly places with outside doors in the area, and there appeared to be an adequate area out back to walk the dog. Noticed after booking that the floors are laminate, and I now hope that becomes the norm for even non pet-friendly budget motels! The room was clean - you could tell it was clean! Seems like a no-brainer now, but carpets are the bane of most motels. The house was pretty full, but it quieted down early. Worked great for us, and we'll be back!

Room Tip: North (non I-40) side was very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I booked two rooms for a two night stay in Asheville. We chose this property as my friends have two dogs and it was recommended as pet friendly. We could not have more pleased. The staff in every instance were warm, friendly and welcoming which over three days we had experience with several different staff. Even the cleaning personnel were courteous and unobtrusive. The rooms were an absolute pleasure. Clean, comfortable beds and warmly furnished and decorated. One of the nicest touches was a laminate floor instead of wall to wall carpeting which felt much cleaner and is especially important in a pet friendly property. This hotel is very popular with dog owners apparently as the place was full of owners and their pets. It was such a warm atmosphere with friendly owners and their pets. There is an adequate area to walk the dogs and it is kept clean. The location could not have been more convenient right off the Interstate and every conceivable food choice either within walking distance or a very short drive away. West Asheville is a funky interesting area of town to explore but the hotel is also very convenient to downtown Asheville and the Biltmore estate. All in all, it was a wonderful stay and all weekend we kept congratulating ourselves for having chosen this property for our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends