“Outstanding Mountain Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Tampa, United States
“Outstanding Mountain Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is an incredible getaway spot right near downtown Asheville but feels like you are tucked away in the Blue Ridge mountains. Incredible views and food at the Terrace restaurant. The Spa is A+. Highly recommend for business or pleasure.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Hungarian first
Syracuse NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed at the Grove Park in for 4 days in July 2013. It has lots of good qualities. The setting is beautiful, the Inn is gorgeous from the outside and in the lobby and public areas that I could see. I was little concerned when I read they had gotten new owners just before our stay. I had read that there was discontent from the employees. Not sure why. Possibly the young man who was installing carpeting at 8pm on a Sunday night in poor lighting could have answered that. Anyway, when we arrived our room wasn't ready. This was astonishing to us as we arrived at 7:30 pm, long past the check in time. They gave us free drinks while we waited, which was nice. The wait wasn't too long, but when we got to our room we discovered that they had given us no hand towels and no washcloths. We also had a problem with the air conditioning. Both problems were quickly resolved and the staff was extremely friendly. It was a cavernous room, and the bed was very comfortable. There was a sign on the door stating that Debbie Reynolds had stayed in the room in 1992. Unfortunately it looked as if they had not changed the decor since she had been there. Everything was clean except for the carpet, which was stained beyond cleaning. Also we found the place hard to navigate. Most hotels have a welcome book that tells you about the place and the amenities and where things are, etc. Not here. The spa was expensive and seemed under used. The pool was not easy to get to. Restaurants were uber expensive. All of this being said, we did enjoy the time we spent there and in Asheville. We would consider staying there again, but feel that the new management needs to step up and improve some of the little things.

3 Thank Ann H
The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Thank you for being our guest and providing a review for us to continue to improve. We apologize for the late check in and other inconsistencies you experienced in the room accommodations. We are working hard to finish updating all areas of the Inn and will continue to improve the overall experience for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Hickory,NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

We only live an hour from Asheville and we will sometimes go here to get away for a quick weekend. We love the Spa. The porches are nice too and they have a great seafood buffet on the weekends. We prefer to stay in the newer section. Very charming and worth a trip if you have never been there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kturner108
mrswade
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I had read all of the bad reviews of this property before staying here so I was indeed nervous. But I was pleasantly surprised by how gorgeous and massive the lobby was when we entered the Grove Park Inn. All of the employees were very friendly and engaging. We had a couple of issues that were quickly resolved by the front desk! And we were very thankful for their commitment to making this a peaceful destination. We dined at the Sunset Terrace and hands down, the best sea scallops I have ever had. The crème brulee was huge and delicious served in some NC pottery. The view from our room was nice, but next time we would like to be higher up. I will say that the bed wasn't as comfortable as I am used to. The hotel has gone through renovations, but it still as the old charm that you would expect. I look forward to our next visit and trying out the club level in this gem of a hotel.

Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Just returned from a three night stay for golf, sightseeing and culinary adventure.
Let me star by saying the Grove Park Inn is expensive. But as with most resort properties I have visited, they are not out of line with their fees.
My trip started with excellent help from reservationists Kathy and Elizabeth. They were very helpful and gave me excellent advice. As with all older properties like this and The Greenbriar, Homestead, etc., you need to be wise consumer. I have always found I like the new areas better and try them. I can't speak for the older rooms, but my room in the Vanderbilt Wing was brand new, with great bathroom and mountain views. It was clean, had a refrigerator, new flatscreen mattresses and sheets and a safe.
The public areas are beautiful and the staff was top notch during my stay and there was not one thing that I would complain about the service. As an omni select guest(sign up online and it is free) a paper of your choice every day at you door and a fancy coffee or soft drink for 2 is free. also, wi fi.
The parking is expensive, there is a small resort charge and the food is expensive. But really if you can't afford it and only complain you should stay somewhere else. I did not mind the $300 dollar golf, the room and food costs because I thought it was exceptional. The breakfast buffet is expensive but one of the best I have ever seen. The entertainment is free in the lobby and at Elaine's where 3 men do dueling pianos. You don't even need to get a drink if you don't want to.
The construction is almost over and the new restaurant, Edison's just opened but we did not eat there. I will not say anything else about the spa except it is probably the best spa in America. Do not miss it. Sure, it is expensive but what you get is worth it. If you don't like spas, do the twilight entry and spend from 5pm there for around $50. It is worth that just to see it!
We dined on the terrace one night and the food was great. My only complaint was not being told of a 6 dollar fee to split a salad with my wife. We should have been told this in advance. Both are meals were served hot and I had no complaints about the service.
We ate two nights in Asheville and I recommend Limones and Chestnut. A warning- again as they can be expensive.
Do not miss the Biltmore audio tour(get tickets online) if you have not been there. The Vineyard is a must, also.

I am sorry several people had complaints about this resort. I really feel they almost sound like they stayed at a different place. I have no tolerance for bad service and have stayed at some of the top properties all over and I really did enjoy my visit and so did my wife. We plan to return again and enjoy the ambiance of the Grove Park Inn and it's beautiful views. Remember this is a large property so do not complain about the distances and size. If you want small go to a B&B. However, the size allows this hotel to offer so many options that it is fun all the time!

Room Tip: Vanderbilt Wing, renovated. Talk to Kathy or Elizabeth as they are very knowledgeable. The hotel i...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Asheville and for sharing your review and positive remarks about the newly renovated Vanderbilt room accommodations. We apologize for not communicating the split charge prior to presenting the bill at dinner. This has been addressed internally and we are addressing different solutions. We look forward to welcoming you back for another fun golfing, sunset watching, delectable experience!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I booked our stay at the Grove Park in using Expedia and added a request for a dog friendly room. A week out, I decided to confirm with the hotel that our booking accounted for a dog and in the hotel's books, it did not. While I was able to add a dog to our reservation without issue, it was a hassle to have to call both the Inn and Expedia to sort out the details. Perhaps the GP Inn can add this option to their external booking site options?

Our arrival was in the midst of a torrential downpour and right at check-in time. While we did have to wait in line with many others (due to the 4th of July weekend/100th Anniversary crowd), the line moved at a decent pace and the Inn had all of their reservation desks manned with employees. Initially our key cards didn't work but after sending the hubs back to get them re-keyed we were in our room. The dog-friendly rooms are on the 2nd floor of the hotel providing a close and easy walk-out access to grass and roads for walking., The elevators are quick to bring you back to the hustle and bustle of the main lobby.

A large window faced the valley below and overlooked part of the golf course. The room appeared to be newly renovated with a very large bed, aromatic cedar dressers and a wonderfully modern-yet-arts and crafts styled bathroom. While the room was not furnished with antiques (as I suppose many of the rooms are) it didn't feel like a typical pet-friendly room filled with second-hand cast offs and tattered linens. There was absolutely no evidence of previous animal occupants in smell or condition.

That night we enjoyed the city's Fourth of July fireworks from the balcony of the hotel that overlooks the valley below. The next night was the hotel's own firework show to which we sat along the rock wall between the spa and the hotel patio. The fireworks were wonderful!

We never dined at the hotel but enjoyed sipping cocktails in the lobby with the live music and ambiance around us. The place had a great, celebratory vibe and felt very comfortable. We also spent some time wandering the many floors and hallways of the hotel, stumbling upon a curious displays of vintage "chill tonic" labels from Grove himself. If we ever visit again sans-canine I would love to stay in one of the original rooms with the original history.

Pros: very pet-friendly, great room and bathroom, convenient access to town, romantic environment, beautiful view, cheery atmosphere, coffee and snack bar for quick morning meals

Cons: pricey drinks, dining reservations book up quickly, not all rooms are "historic," lines at check-in, no free parking

I definitely recommend to others and would stay here again. Make sure to book with parking and breakfast included!

Room Tip: The pet rooms are wonderful with easy access to outdoor area
1 Thank Beaterson
Exeter, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I spent several days at the Grove Park Inn in late July 2013. I found the prices exorbitant for the quality of the food and acommodations. The hotel decor is tired, dark and drab, as are the rooms. Internet service was poor (and not helped by a call to the technology department). The bedding was terrible; the poly-cotton sheets were pilled and felt like fine sandpaper; the pillows were like squashed jelly donuts. The prices pf meals were astonishingly high. At dinner it's $30-$50 for the entree; sides are extra. One server on the terrace steered me toward a $21 glass of wine without telling the price. All in all, it was 30-50% overpriced for the quality. A big disappointment.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Karen P
The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for being our guest and providing feedback. We are sorry you did not perceive the value in our accommodations, services and amenities and felt disappointed. We are currently updating all areas of the Inn and hope you will join us again to see the improvements.