“The Perfect Sunset”

Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Tampa, Florida
“The Perfect Sunset”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I recently visited the Grove Park Inn while visiting Asheville as I had heard that it provided the best view for a mountain sunset. Not only was I totally impressed with the elegance of this resort, inside and out, but my daughter also loves the underground spa they have. She and I sat and relaxed outside, enjoying drinks, and just watching the sun set. Unfortunately, in late July, one does not have the best view of the sunset...but it was still a wonderful view to enjoy.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Hungarian first
Pittsboro, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Beautiful setting-architecture splendid-with many amenities. Many dining choices Easy access to Asheville Self contained if you want to be in one location Spa is available with classes and a variety of services,On site shopping with lots of options

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Villa Rica, Georgia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband and I went to the Grove Park Inn for a small getaway in July. We just wanted to relax, get pampered at the spa and have good food. And we absolutely loved it! Everything was perfect from check-in to check out, the staff was so courteous and attentive. Our room had a wonderful mountain view. We spent two full days at the spa, the most beautiful I have ever seen! And for dinner we went to the Sunset Terrace, which had great jazz music playing, candle light, great service, a spectacular view and the best food! In the morning we went to the breakfast buffet, which again was great, with everything one could wish for and the best service ever. Thank you for providing such a wonderful resort and maintaining this spectacular building this way. We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with mountain view. It's spectacular!
Jonesborough, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We went to the Grove Park for our 43rd anniversary. My husband thought he had booked a bed and breakfast package but when we arrive they said no we are getting a senior rate for 234.00++++++ Which ended up costing 299.49 per nite. No breakfast unless you wanted to pay. We were put in the Sammons historic wing. Room was clean but window did not close completely because the window sill was rotting and the handle had broke. The view as beautiful. My husband was upset because the internet service would not allow him access on his laptop. We could use a small elevator in the chimmney to access our room on the second floor or use the back stairs. They even deactivated our room keys before we left the hotel making it difficult to leave the garage. We had been there 4 years before and it had felt more like a 4star hotel.

Room Tip: call to make sure of what you are getting don't relay on website.
4 Thank Charlotte S
The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Thank you so much for spending your 43rd Anniversary with us and providing feedback on your stay. It sounds like you may have stayed in the historic Main Inn where the rooms are accessed by the elevators hidden in giant rock chimneys. Please accept our apologies on some issues you experienced while here, we just turned 100 and we are working hard to get all areas of the resort up to our guests standards. We hope you will decide to join us again in the future and have another memorable experience.
atlanta
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at the Grove Park Inn (GPI) starting Sunday July 28th. This was a company sales trip and we were looking forward to staying at the GPI as I have heard many things, both good and bad, about this property.
Forget anything negative you have heard about this hotel. From the moment we stepped on property until we got back into our car to leave, everything was perfect and we had ZERO problems.

Hotel-
The hotel is very nice and the renovations are really helping out. The desk clerk said they were about 90% done with all of the work that OMNI Hotels has put into the property. Upon arrival a bellman approached our car and greeted us by name. This was a great start and made us feel extremely welcome at the GPI. After a 2 minute check in we were shown to our room on the 4th floor in the Vanderbilt wing. Our room had been renovated recently and we were also on the same level as the spa. The room size was very good and included a king size bed, 2 lounge chairs, coffee table, desk, fridge, and a Keurig coffee maker. We were blown away at the size of the room and the amenities. The bathroom was the same, big and had everything we needed. Ample towels, 2 bathrobes, but the vanity only had 1 sink. The bathroom also included a chair for the women to use while applying their makeup each day. The hotel itself is big and you will be walking at some point during the stay. The views from most anywhere on the property are breathtaking and this is partially what you pay for in your room rate.
Amenities-
I used the golf course, pool, and spa during our trip and I would recommend all three to any guest of the GPI. The golf course and pool are a 10 minute walk or a 2 minute hotel shuttle/car drive. Some people say they are off property but that is not true. They are just not located directly next to the hotel. The pool has a nice cabana area which you can get food and adult beverages while lounging all day. The price of the golf is fair and the course is extremely difficult. It has many elevation changes and elevated greens. I enjoyed playing the course and I look forward to playing here again soon. Now on to the SPA. As you heard from other reviews, THE SPA IS AMAZING AND A MUST DO!! My wife and I chose 2 separate treatments and did them at the same time so we could also enjoy the 4 different pools and saunas together before and after our treatments. The spa is a great amenity for this hotel and everyone who visits must do the spa at least once.
Food-
We chose to eat at the Sunset Terrace (ST) each night. This was recommended to us and we are glad we ate here. The view is breathtaking from 6-9 each night and the food is extremely good. Yes it is pricey but the view and quality of the food is top notch. We had 3 separate meals at the ST and we loved every meal. The price of cocktails is somewhat higher than I would like to pay but it comes with the territory when you stay at a higher end resort. Save yourself some money and get a 12 pack of beer or a few bottles of wine for the room. You can also sit on the lower areas of the terrace and enjoy beverages purchased off property while watching the sunset. We ordered room service for lunch one day and the food was decent. BE AWARE that all of your service charges, taxes, etc. are included in the price. There is no need to TIP again for room service as well as some of the restaurants on property. Be sure to ask your waiter if gratuity is included. We also found a decent meal in the small market on the lobby level off the Vanderbilt wing. My wife ordered an entire pizza for us at $20 or you can pay $5 per slice - the pizza is actually not bad.

Service-
All of the reviews regarding poor service need to be corrected. Not once did we encounter an employee who was not in a good mood and very upbeat. They all greeted us warmly and we never had any service issues the entire trip. From housekeeping, bartenders, waiters, hallway attendants, etc. everyone was super nice and really made us think highly of the GPI. We never saw any major construction being done. We saw a painter one day and that was it. No problem whatsoever as we never heard or saw them after that.

All in all, we loved our trip to GPI and we look forward to when we can return again. I would rate this hotel as a 4.0 out of 5 stars. Once they get the beverage prices under control I would bump up my rating. They are already getting big bucks for the rooms - you don’t have to nickel us to death on the $8 beers! Service, food quality and amenities all make this property a must stay for anyone traveling to Asheville. AWESOME STAY!!

New York, NY
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I'd heard so many great things about this hotel and other than it's recently updated lobby and spectacular views, I have few positive things to say about the hotel. Granted, I'm here for a work conference at a seemingly discounted rate of $250 but for that price, I'd expect better. After taking about 15 minutes to check me in, I was placed in the "original" wing which translates into a desk chair that has a huge gash in the upholstery, a bathroom that looks older than my grandmother's house including a shower whose glass is spotty and kind of gray, paint that's peeling off the walls and dented pine furniture. To top it off, my lunch (cobb salad and an arnold palmer) was a whopping $40 including a service charge that they added onto the bill as if I wouldn't leave an adequate tip myself (btw, my server was rather surly too). The one good thing is that the internet is rather speedy, enabling me to write this review quickly. I've heard that there are nice parts of the hotel, but I have yet to find them...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank RoamingMenehune
Thank you for staying with us during your recent conference and providing feedback about you experience. Please accept our apologies for falling short of you expectations with the accommodations in the historic main inn. We are in the process of updating all of our rooms while staying true to the historic nature and Arts and Crafts style that we are known for. We hope you will stay with us again the next chance you get to experience all of the wonderful aspects of our resort.
Tampa, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is an incredible getaway spot right near downtown Asheville but feels like you are tucked away in the Blue Ridge mountains. Incredible views and food at the Terrace restaurant. The Spa is A+. Highly recommend for business or pleasure.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts