“Spoiled rotten”

The Omni Grove Park Inn
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I loved the natural beauty surrounding this hotel, the great views out of every window, the history of the hotel, service and room. It was my last night of vacation and so I paid for an upgraded room that included a huge jacuzzi. After a not-so-great experience at another hotel, my last night of vacation was redeemed at this hotel due to the great staff and beautiful hotel. I saw a picture outside of my room of John Burroughs and the quote stated "I go to nature to be soothed and healed." and this stay was exactly what I needed. This hotel exemplifies great service at a great location.

Room Tip: Request a room on one of the top floors/high floor and request a mountain view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (6,935)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have heard so much about the Grove Park Inn and were excited to stay at this hotel.
Rooms: We were in a recently upgraded room. The room was large, clean and had all the amenities. There was enough place to relax and not feel crowded in. The newly renovated bathroom was wonderful, modern in feel, and contrasted nicely with the old world charm of the hotel. The beds are new and wonderful to sleep on.
Service: The service is average at best, going from excellent to terrible. Check-in is always a nightmare and the staff on the front desk are just plain rude. This is your first real interaction after you are wowed by the impressive building, and your image is shattered. Some of other staff including specifically the concierge desk, house cleaning and support staff are outstanding. Most of the staff at the bar and restaurants are overworked and seem forever harried.
The hotel is spread out, the pools separate, the sports complex a short walk, and multiple places to eat casually.
Food: We choose not to eat at this hotel.
Ambiance: Arriving at the hotel is spectacular, entering the lobby and looking out through the lobby is quite spectacular. It is wonderful to sit outside, with a drink in the evening, or at a meal, and soak in the view! The old world charm of the large lobby with the massive fireplaces, contrasts nicely with the modern wings and rooms.
Overall, a spectacular hotel with service issues that need to be resolved.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Khaja
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a piece of history. Over 100 years old and built out of stones, this is truly a grand historic hotel. The lobby is magnificent. The huge stone fireplaces on both ends hide the historic elevators inside of them that you use to get to the upper floors of the historic section of the hotel. Staffed by interesting elevator operators, it is unlike any experience I have had. My room was in the historic section looking out over the patio with a fantastic view of the blue mountain range. I opened my larger wood windows and was treated to the lovely sound of the huge waterfall which lulled me to sleep each night. I spent the afternoon in their amazing spa. Unable to get an appointment for a treatment (although I was told I was first on the waiting list and that they would call me only to find out that others that were there for the same meeting I was there for were able to walk in and get an appointment that same day) I opted for the day pass. I am so glad I did. What an amazing relaxing experience. While I loved staying in the historic section of the hotel, others attending our conference did not and had tales to tell about erie encounters they had had with unexplainable things happening. They opted to move to the new section. I didn't have those experiences and enjoyed the historic ambiance and character and views from my room. This is truly a magnificent property and a very special place. What a treat - and the spa was simply amazing.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have been fortunate enough to stay here on several occasions - mostly for the A&C Conference each February. The staff has always been very friendly and helpful.This 1913 hotel is beautiful and has been nicely maintained. In the past I have stayed in the Vanderbilt wing and in the original building. I prefer the Vanderbilt Wing only due to the size of the rooms, I would prefer to see that all the rooms be furnished in the A&C style, but that is due to my interest in that aesthetic. The main hall has wonderful fireplaces and some cozy seating, although some of the newer furnishings seem to be completely out of place with the environment. The antiques are exquisite. The views are wonderful from the terraces, everyone should find the time to sit back and enjoy them, I have always enjoyed dinner on the Sunset Terrace. Breakfast is always wonderful although very expensive. I agree with some reviewers that it would be very helpful to have a shuttle run to Asheville on a regular basis, not everyone arrives with a car.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laura R
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Nice historic hotel with what we were told was a great spa..we could not get any services..were told they were booked out for 2 weeks..never told this on front end..old outdated musty rooms....no room service on one day, decided to check out early..has a nice gym, but not connected

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We took a long weekend and spent every moment at the hotel. We enjoyed a great breakfast buffet and began our day at the spa. The staff and service were wonderful. I highly recommend getting a massage and enjoy the spa area for the entire day. There is no better way to relax!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

It was our 40th Anniversary so we splurged on a night at the Grove Park. The hotel staff was wonderful and the food was good. The cost was out of sight. Plus at dinner time the elevator attandant took an hour break so that meant we had to walk down the stairway with bad knees and it ruined our evening. Won't be staying here again.