“Historic Gem”

Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
San Antonio, TX, United States
“Historic Gem”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

There's so much amazing history with this property. Loved that the most recent remodel was to take so much of the decor back to the original Arts and Craft era, yet the luxury and amenities of are definitely that of a very fine hotel. The spa is world class.. amazing, beautiful, quiet and relaxing! Never experienced a better one.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Hungarian first
Mt. Pleasant, SC, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Besides a gorgeous view you will encounter a courteous staff, great food and a 43,000 square foot spa that is fabulous!! We ate at every restaurant which was completely unbelievable. Also, took a historic tour of the hotel and saw things we had passed by and didn't even notice. Can not wait to go back and do it all over again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Annapolis, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just know that the beautiful pool you see in all of the Grove Park ads is an additional $65 per person per day. Also, only one tiny mirror in the bathroom, that is so far from the sink, no other mirrors in the room. Overpriced drinks. Beautiful hotel and spa, great views, clean rooms.

1 Thank Gerald F
The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. As you mentioned, there is an additional fee associated with the use of our spa. We offer day passes to give our guests an opportunity to experience it but we hope you understand that by opening it up to all of our resort guests it would completely contradict the tranquility and peacefulness that embodies it. We do offer two different pools that all of our resort guests can access, both indoor and outdoor. We are reviewing different possibilities for additional mirrors in certain rooms and do appreciate you bringing that to our attention.
Durham, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Wife and I came here for our first couples retreat after having our daughter. We scheduled a spa day the morning after we arrived, and had what I can only describe as a heavenly, first rate massage and spa experience. Without any hesitation I recommend the spa. Additionally, we were celebrating our 5th anniversary, and had a fantastic celebratory dinner at Vue 1913, which I can again recommend without hesitation. We also highly enjoyed a dinner at Edison, which is not only delicious but lovely as well at sunset time. On the other hand, our room, in the Sammons wing, had several issues, some minor, some ... not so. Minor issue: the Tv had an annoying green vertical line 2/3rds of the way to the right of the screen. We didn't come here to watch tv, so this only bothered us for a couple of hours at most. More bothersome, however, was the A/C. Now August in the mountains is lovely, and it's fantastic that the Sammons (can't speak about hte vanderbuilt wing) wing has windows that open up. However, my wife and I, both with Masters degrees, couldn't figure out the thermostat and get it to set a temperature. We'd lower the temp a degree or two, and the display would change... and then it would revert in 5 minutes. Lastly, and most importantly, the mattress in our room was ... painful. As someone who has spent many nights in an Omni Hotel, this mattress was not to the standard I've experienced at say, the Omni San Francisco. My wife and I woke every morning with lower back and neck pain. In short, I cannot recommend the spa *enough*, but I don't know that I'd make an extended vacation out of the GPI, given the bed experience we had.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The front desk clerk sold us on an upgrade to the club level. We then continued to get conflicting information on when our room would be available before finally being able to check in at least 30 minutes after our arrival. My new bride and I had been expecting to stay in an old historic hotel and did not realize that the club level was not historic at all. It was extremely inconvenient that we were just about as far away from the lobby and the outdoors as possible. It was nearly a 10 minute walk just to get outside from our room ruining the pleasure of any easy enjoyment of the mountain environment. Additionally there was a very loud air conditioning unit just below our room's window which canceled out the peace and serenity we hoped to encounter at least in our own room with an open window. We realized early on that we we dissatisfied and would like to just go on to our home and enjoy the rest of our honeymoon relaxing there, but when I called the front desk I was told we could leave early, but that I would still be responsible for the full stay, including the upgrade charges the check-in clerk had sold me on. As for the spa, the weather during our stay was very warm and we were sorely disappointed that there was no cool outdoor pool in which to feel refreshed.

Turners Falls, Ma., United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The overall experience was terrific. I was made to feel comfortable and was well taken care of. Service was always prompt and courteous and the quality of everything was top shelf. The Grove Park Inn is a special and warm retreat.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

NY, NY
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and I and three children (8, 12 and 14) stayed in two connecting rooms for several days in June. I had read so many wonderful things about the inn--plus the website featured appealing pictures of children playing croquet on a lovely lawn. I thought certainly it would be a great stay for the whole family and plied the children with pictures of the famous pool.

First off--no kids in the famous pool. I don't know how I missed this in all of my research. I think there is some confusion on this point. There are three pools at the GP (1) a small indoor one at the athletic center; (2) a large, rectangular, regular outdoor pool near the golf club, a short walk or shuttle ride from the inn; and (3) a much-photographed and publicized indoor water extravaganza that is located in the spa and only accessible by adult guests paying an extra fee. So there you have it. If you bring your kids here, don't talk too much about pools.

Also, don't talk too much about anything the kids could do there because, frankly, the place just isn't set up for children. We saw very few during our stay. I inquired about the croquet/mini golf pictures I had seen on the website and the staff had no idea what I was talking about. "I think the problem," one concierge said, without a trace of irony, as she gestured towards a great expanse of green lawn, "is where would you put it?"

We stayed in the Vanderbilt wing on the ground floor in two very spacious rooms. Agree with the reviewers who said it seems like there is furniture missing. Comfortable but not plush. It has a modern, Marriott Courtyard-type feel that lacks the charm found in the main inn and lobby.

We ate dinner one night at the main restaurant on the terrace. Very expensive but magnificent views and so I recommend it. I also recommend getting the excellent breakfast included in the rate. The expansive buffet is about $25 per person if purchased separately.

All the staff were lovely and helpful. The valet parking is free, so don't be confused by the valet staff who ask helpfully if you want to park the car yourself or have them do it for you.

Lastly, the Grove Park has an alluring gift shop we had to pass to go to and from our rooms. It features a large glass case with beautiful cupcakes and adorable, expensive stuffed animals (the one my daughter wanted cost $60). Just throwing that out there so parents can plan their strategy beforehand.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family