“FANTASTIC PLACE TO STAY!!”
Review of The Pines Cottages

The Pines Cottages
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We absolutely love the Pines Cottages. Our cottage was beautiful and very clean. We were warmly welcomed. We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dreaminjust

Reviewed 4 July 2011

I loved the place. Great local spot with a very accommodating owners. I had a great time and have recommended this to all of my friends traveling to Asheville. It is just outside of the city but just outside some great hiking spots.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank er562001
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My wife and I along with our little dog, stayed at The Pines Cottages. The hospitality of Tara and Allen is second to none. These two were very helpful and have very well rounded knowledge of Asheville as well as the surrounding areas. The Pines is very central to Asheville as well as other areas. Thanks for the recommendation for 12 Bones BBQ.
We had cabin 5, which is located right in the middle of the grounds. The cabin was very quaint and clean. It had a nice porch for setting. While walking the dog, we spotted a huge bullfrog at the bottom of the hill and a red fox that was kind enough to let us see him. The Pines is a very pet friendly place.
We hopefully will get another opportunity to stay here again.
Thanks
John

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank abigphish
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I was desperate for a vacation and looking for a place I could bring my large dog. After much internet hunting I chose The Pines Cottages after reading so many nice reviews. I stayed 5 nights in Cottage 8 and can only assume the great reviews were on the other cabins. I in no way expected luxury but I did expect something for the 100 a night!

The shower is a postage stamp and there is NO way to shave your legs there I could only shave by the sink. I am also 5'4" and the non-adjustable shower head pelted me directly in the face so that I can guess what water boarding must feel like. There are also only 2 tiny triangle shelves in which to put your soap, shampoo, etc... which was completely inadequate...the bottles couldn't fit (nothing but a raisin would fit) and constantly pelted your feet and the shower drowned you all in a 2'x2' scary box.

The kitchen was quite dirty when I arrived. I spilled a little bit of water on the floor my first day and when I wiped it the paper towel was BLACK. I don’t think the kitchen sees any mopping. The dishes were also quite nasty...greasy with fingerprints. The oven doesn’t work (there is no heating element in the oven) which was a big disappointment since the cooking I had planned to do couldn’t be done. The pots and pans were also of the cheapest nature with stained thin metal, and heating anything on the stove caused the handle of the pot to also become like lava (even when the handle was nowhere near the heat) and with no pot holders or oven mitts I got a nasty burn. The sponge by the sink smelled like death and I actually threw it away and bought another sponge.

The bed was comfortable (huge bonus) but the picture the hung next to the bed had what I think was black mold growing inside the glass.

The AC unit is in the bathroom and even though the cottage is quite small...only the bathroom seems to get any AC. In fact the bathroom will be freezing but still 85 in the rest of the cottage.

There isn’t much of an area to walk your dog....so any doggie exercise must be done elsewhere...there is a great dog park about 10 minutes away though (French Broad River Dog Park).

All in all I felt like I had made a very poor choice for my vacation and vacation dollars....I sadly don’t get many PTO days so I will have to wait another year before I can have a good vacation. I see a lot of work being done here and maybe my poor experience had to do with this cabin not being renovated? I felt ripped off and that maybe the owner’s don’t take this place seriously...maybe more like a hobby. I don’t think anyone checked the cabin for cleanliness before I arrived. Also there is NO alarm clock or so much as a scrap of paper/pen in the cottages which may not sound like a big deal but in searching for activities to do around Asheville it would have been nice if I could have had access to paper and not had to use a paper towel to write down addresses, etc...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank kungsgarten
Thepinescottages, Owner at The Pines Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

The Pines Cottages is not for everyone. We offer a stay at an original cabin court, a piece of Americana, which for many is the a large part of the experience.

Thank you for your feedback, we are truly sorry that you found your stay so disappointing. We wish we had been informed while you were staying with us that you were so dissatisfied. We had no opportunity to make you feel more comfortable while you were staying with us. We could have moved you to another cottage with a bigger bathroom but we received no feedback at all while you were staying with us.

The cottages are "vintage" because they were built in the 30s, 40s and 50s. Some did not have bathrooms originally and the bathrooms were added on at a later date.

We take cleanliness very seriously and try to inspect cottages regularly to make sure our cleaning staff is doing the job we as we would like it done. However, we do not get to inspect every cottage or cabin every day and rely on customers to let us know if something is not as it should be. We have been regularly getting feedback that the cottages are very clean. I can assure you that there was not black mold on the picture, we went and inspected it, it was a water stain, but nevertheless we switched out the picture.

The AC units are in the bathrooms of 8, 9 & 10 because the old windows in the living space of those cottages will not accommodate a unit and installing central air into these vintage gems would be a challenge at best not to mention prohibitively expensive.

Cottage 8 actually rents for $90 during the week and $100 on the weekends, and offers a full kitchen, a vintage Asheville experience, a nice location (5 acres of mature trees and gardens in and around the cabins and cottages) and accessibility to all things in the area. Cottage 8 is also one of our most popular cottages.

We most certainly take The Pines seriously. This is our livelihood and we work tirelessly on all aspects of the business. We are in the process of updating the cabins and cottages. We have completely renovated #2 and have just a few more details on #1. Renovating the cottages is a lengthy process and we are doing the work ourselves. The first part of the season was also spent catching up on maintenance issues that had arisen while Allen was going through stage 4 cancer treatment last year. However, even after updating the cottages will still be vintage cottages, which some find charming and others may find that they are happier at a chain hotel.

Again, we are very sorry you were disappointed, we work very hard to try and ensure our guests enjoy their stay with us but must rely on them letting us know while they are here so that we can correct any problems that may have arisen.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

I came to visit Asheville for a sister's get away weekend and wanted to stay somewhere unique. I had found this place online and decided to try it. We had a tour scheduled at 4 on Friday and couldn't check in before nine, but the owners were very sweet and let us check in the next day.

We stayed in cottage 4. It was very comfortable. The beds were amazing and the cottage extremely clean. We are about 20 minutes from downtown Asheville but it's mice being somewhere quiet. Would definitely recommend the pines to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Heavz
Reviewed 19 April 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the pines cottages right north of Asheville. The cabins were 5 minutes from historic downtown but with the feel of a country cottage. We had everything we could ask for. We chose the small cabin with out the kitchen because we chose to dine down town.

Now if you want room service and spa treatments, then this would probably not the place for you. But if you are looking for a chance to escape the daily grind, then you will be more than pleased with the Pines Cottages and Cabins. These cabins are much better than staying at a hotel. It is an amazing way to get away from it all but remain in a civilized setting. I do not have any bad things to say about our experience.

Room Tip: AAA, call ahead early to book your trip
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jeepster0000
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Spent 4 nights at cabin 15 with three of my old friends. We are all in our 50's plus. Traveld to Asheville for the Bele Cher Fest just for a "road trip", and found The Pine Cottages perfect for us......well almost perfect as the two bedroom cottage has two doubles and one king. We fliped coins to see who got what beds, and I ended up in the king with Dave. (he stayed on his side of the bed) lol. Terry and her son Chris were very kind and accomodatiing hosts. (PS Chris is a super musician). The knotty pine interior made it feel very comforable, and the cabin has everything you need. Exteriors could use some paint, but that did not effect how we slept and enjoyed the cabin. I hope to return in October with my wife for a stay to enjoy the beauty that surrounds Asheville. :"Road Noise" from prior reviews was not an issue.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends