“This is the ONLY place we will stay in Asheville!”

Whispering Pines Motel
Ranked #59 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Mills River, North Carolina
“This is the ONLY place we will stay in Asheville!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

My husband has a terminal illness & we take advantage of every minute we have together. Even though we only live 45 minutes away, we enjoy getting away from the stress of survival for a few days. We get some food & movies & head to the Whispering Pines for some quiet time together. We have been staying there repeatedly for the past six months & we have never had a bad experience. Kenny & his lovely wife have always treated us with kindness & respect. The rooms are clean, the sheets are fresh & the showers are hot. During our most recent stay, we had planned on just being there for a couple of days, but my husband's condition worsened & he didn't feel like walking to the car. We ended up staying six days. Since it was during the week I had to leave my husband every morning to go to work, nearly in tears. Knowing that Kenny was there & was only a phone call away made me feel better about leaving him there. I cannot imagine leaving him any place else. They made us feel at home & empathized with our situation. So would I recommend Whispering Pines? YES! Will we be going back? EVERY CHANCE WE GET! And it's okay if our last days together are spent in our cozy little room at Whispering Pines....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank terriandmichael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lancaster Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

We had a group of four people going to NC on vacation. We got to the area late, most hotels were booked. It was late, we were tired, it was raining, and although we did not like the looks of the hotel much, we decided to stay. We ask to see the room first. The lady that showed it to us rushed us in and out quickly. The room was not the cleanest but we were tired and got the room. Once we got the key, we went in and looked around a little more. Thank GOD I had only set my purse on the table when I pulled out the desk chair and a roach came running up the chair. Then my boyfriend decided to check the beds. To our supprise another roach came running out. I immediately went to the office, and the lady that rushed us in the room sent a man to our room to see. We showed him the roaches that my boyfriend had killed and he grabbed them in a hurry anf flushed them down the toilet. We asked for our money back and he refused. My boyfriend was persistent so the only way we could get some of our money back was if my boyfriend signed another recipt for them to keep a percentage of our money! It was this or lose all our money! So the motel ended up keeping $13.75 of our $73.75! All this and not to mention both people there were rude and nasty with us!!!
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank ChevyGal70
Seymour, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

I was traveling to Asheville and planned to stay 3 nights in this motel. However, my vehicle broke down on the way and I was unable to make it. I called on the first evening of my reservation to cancel the next 2 nights. The person that answered the phone hung up on me several times and keep saying there was no manager. Needless to say I was never able to cancel my reservation and my credit card was charged the full amount. I am still trying to get reimbursed. I wouldn't stay at this motel if it was the last one on earth and was free!!!!!!! VERY UNSATISFIED!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank CindyLou49
Clemson
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

We were treated very rudely by the management. We were later told that the rude person was a friend of the manager who was filling in for Labor Day weekend... felt that the management could have been much more selective in chosing a fill-in person to represent the service provider, The room smelled like smoke even though it was advertised NON-SMOKING. This also was disappointing. The rate is low, but I don't think we will be returning.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geowood64
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2008

Whispering pines is beautiful, I had a great stay and the owners were really nice!

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2003

We read the review of this motel at this web site. Decided it sounded nice. When we arrived we were leary of the way it looked. Went into a dingy lobby that had a smell and an attendant that looked unkept. Some of the motel room doors were standing open. They wanted $70.00 for a room with one bed. We were tired, it was raining and 9:00 p.m but decided this was not for us. Found a nice Days Inn with a wonderful fresh, clean, room, with two beds, and breakfast for $53.00 for the night.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2002

Pleasantly surprised to find a remodeled, clean, privately owned budget motel.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member