“quiet spot for dinner and drinks”
Review of Coda Bar & Kitchen

Coda Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #496 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Massachusetts
“quiet spot for dinner and drinks”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I went here last night and sat at the bar. The bartenders were very friendly and attentive. The drinks were good. The food was ok. We had the burger which was overcooked and had a soggy bun. I don't know that I would go back here. There are some other, more lively places in the area. It's not a terrible place - just no real wow factor.

• Visited February 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Food good....bartender NOT so good!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We didn't have a reservation on a snowy winter night, but we were prepared to wait. We sat at the bar and ordered drinks from a very bored bartender. I think a bartender should be engaging and make us feel welcomed. She was doing her job and that was about it. A smile would go a long way.
After about 45 minutes we moved to a side table and enjoyed the Charcuterie and arugula salad. The meats were fresh and tasty. The salad was lightly dressed and had good toppings. We shared a spicy pasta dish that was hot and cheesy. Great red wine and a nice server left on a high note.

Visited January 2014
Providence, Rhode Island
“Nice bistro feel”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We went to Coda on a Sunday afternoon for brunch, not really knowing what to expect. What we found was a nice little neighborhood bistro with a varied menu, including seasonal items. But, whatever you do, have the doughnuts with Nutella dipping sauce as an appetizer (and be prepared to share - there were 5 large "doughnut holes" on the plate). These seemed to be made with a cake-doughnut batter, and they were fried with an eye to not-too-dark/not-too-light, and not the least bit greasy. I then proceeded to Eggs Benedict which would be predictable except that the buttermilk biscuit the eggs came on was a different, and pleasant, surprise. My husband had the Coda Monsieur (their version of Croque Monsieur) and was pleased. Unfortunately we just didn't have room for dessert as I wanted to try the pumpkin crème brulee! Next time. Finally, any bistro that can make a good cocktail with Campari gets my seal of approval.

• Visited November 2013
Phoenix, AZ
“Average”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

1st night in Boston after a long day in the airplane; we didn’t want a heavy meal, nor did we want to wander too far from our B&B. We walked by several restaurants and decided on Coda after reading the good reviews on Trip Advisor. First impression: nice, cozy and charming atmosphere. I liked the exposed brick wall and simplicity of design. There were a number of full tables, but the place wasn’t loud so we were able to carry on a conversation without having to raise our voices. I like that.

The whiskey was a nice generous pour as was the wine. Hit the spot after a long travel day. Although the deviled eggs appetizer sounded good, we dove right into the main dishes. Mac ‘n cheese seems to be the big thing on menus these days, and reviews raved about it so that was my choice – not difficult since I love mac ‘n cheese! Sorry to say you all let me down <sigh> on this one. I just wasn’t impressed. The pancetta did add a nice smoky flavor, but the mac ‘n cheese itself just plain bland. Not worth the rave reviews at all. The grilled salmon was good, the chickpea puree not so much.

Overall impression: nice ambience, food unimpressive. Of all the places we ate on during our ten-day trip in the area, this was our least favorite.

• Visited October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Local's bar - great food”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Been going here since Coda opened, and even though the chef has changed, the food continues to get better! App's, entree's (meat, fish, chicken, pork) are all great!

Visited August 2013