“Wonderful displays”

Ranked #9 of 389 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Relive the Kennedy era in this dynamic combination museum and library, where your visit starts with a short film and then leaves you on your own to explore a series of fascinating exhibits, including the Kennedy-Nixon debate, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the space program, 1960s campaign paraphernalia and displays about Jacqueline and other Kennedy family members. The striking, I.M. Pei-designed building overlooks the water and the Boston skyline.
California
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Wonderful displays”
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Spent almost two hours looking at all the displays. I enjoyed seeing the old artifacts from the President's campaign days. The staff was helpful, and the gift shop was nice too. This is a great place for children to learn about history, as well as adults. I was very pleased they allowed photography, as so many museums now do not permit picture taking. There is a nice harbor walk area outside the Library/Museum, with good views of Boston. I recommend this trip for all ages.

1 Thank sandytravelbug

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Riverview, Florida
189 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 407 helpful votes
“Interesting but rude staff”
Reviewed 1 March 2009

The museum is a huge modern building with lots of memorabilia from the Kenendy years and exhibits on his journey to the White House. Would recommend but do nto expect a friendly or welcoming staff.

Washington state
“One of the highlights of my Boston trip”
Reviewed 2 June 2008

The Frommer's "Boston Day by Day" guidebook suggested allowing two hours for the Kennedy Library and Museum. I spent 4 hours there. I was 6 years old when Kennedy was assassinated, so the museum exhibits were nostalgic. Because I was pre-school age at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, I wasn't even aware of it at the time it occurred. It was good to learn about it from the film and exhibits at the Museum. Every U.S. citizen who was alive at the time says they remember exactly where they were when they learned President Kennedy had been shot. I don't (I guess I was too young), but I do remember watching the funeral on television. The exhibits about the campaign, debates, and election, and especially about their television coverage, were well-done. It was fascinating to see handwritten notes from President and Mrs. Kennedy to their staff members. I couldn't help noticing a lot of parallels between the current political climate and that of the early 1960s.
The only other presidental library I've visited is the Johnson library in Austin, Texas. I would say the Kennedy library does a much better job of telling its story.

USA
“I paid $5.00 for what???”
Reviewed 7 October 2007

Well lets put it this way... the only good thing about this stop was that it made us find all the other shops around the town. This is not worth the 5 dollars you pay to get in. First off the girl tries to force you into watching a 7 min. video so you stay in the place 7 min longer. If you do not watch the video you willlb e out of there in 3 min tops. Not worth the money.

Washington State
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Tells the story/Not too many Historical Artifacts”
Reviewed 2 October 2007

The only other Presidential Library that I have been to is the Truman Library. Compared to that museum I thought that the JFK museum was short on actual historical artifacts. There are several gifts from other countries and some dresses belonging to Jackie, but I was expecting more. The museum does cover a lot of JFK's history through videos throughout the museum. It is located in a wonderful location on the water and is a very attractive building.

2 Thank Seeing-America-241