“Finally! A place in Boston that has cuisine!”
Review of Scampo

Scampo
Reserve with OpenTable
Scampo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cambridge
Transit: Located directly across the street from Charles/MGH stop on the red line
Description: The stunning first floor restaurant in Boston’s Liberty Hotel, Scampo, is a culinary destination created by legendary chef Lydia Shire and The Lyons Group in April of 2008. In Scampo, Shire’s reputation for defying tradition translates into Italian-inspired cuisine unrestrained by borders, drawing on flavors from the Mediterranean and Middle East. Scampo is a reflection of Chef Shire: bold, red and full of energy. The contemporary space features shiny copper lanterns, a glowing orange bar and seating overlooking the mozzarella bar.
UK
“Finally! A place in Boston that has cuisine!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Italian, with a good range of ingredients including Europe-sourced ones. This is important as a European proscuitto, for example, tastes completely different from an American one (European meat is grain-fed, whereas American is corn-fed and is quite sweet because of that). Good pizza, great cheese & meat platters/selections. The staff is happy to allow you to "make your own dinner" - by adding or substituting ingredients or selections, which is always a hallmark of a great restaurant to me. The service is great - attentive, on the ball, but very discrete and unobtrusive. The wine list is quite good with a very reasonable markup - only about 2x of retail. The only thing that I don't understand is why their selection of by-the-glass wines features almost exclusively wines from the last 2-3 years? Italian wines of 2-3 years old are usually much too young to be drunk. Highly recommended.

1 Thank mymUk

Fort Worth, Texas
“Good Food”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

You have to love the decor of this restaurant located inside the former Charles Street Jail. The designers used the structure which was completed in 1851 to reflect the past and honor the architecture but also create a unique vibe. The restaurant is located in Beacon Hill convenient to a variety of activities. The staff was very attentive and the food from the breadsticks to the pizza was very good.

Visited June 2014
Santa Barbara, California
“Unique Menu”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Located in the Liberty Hotel, this is a great place. We sat outside as the weather was awesome. Our waitperson was very helpful in directing us to order the best of the chefs creations. She recommended the naan, which is not so italian, but was very good. The Fava bean dip for the breadsticks was amazing. The bolognese was perfect, and the lasanga was very unique and yummy. We enjoyed the evening and would sit inside next time just to experience the ambiance of the restaurant. It was lovely!

Manchester, New Hampshire
“Don't Skip Scampo!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

With all the amazing restaurants available in Boston, it might be easy to skip over Scampo, located in the Liberty Hotel. However, I encourage everyone to try a nibble at this sleek eatery.

Our party arrived one late Sunday evening and I was afraid the place would be jamming, but surprisingly, it wasn't. We got in without a wait, although we had made a reservation just moments before our arrival.

We declined eating al fresco, as the wind was rather intense, but I would encourage all to try the outdoor seating area as the courtyard is so cute and inviting. Inside we had a great view of the gleaming, copper-colored bar with matching copper lighting fixtures.

Our server was a riot and once we were established with our drinks (and after the noisy birthday party for a few tiny tots left), it became more fun! Who knew homemade bread sticks could be that fun and taste so yummmm?

We all had salads as starters and I know we all enjoyed them. I chose the Chilled Butter Lettuce Leaves Stacked with Fresh Peas, Asparagus Tips, and Candied Beet Crisps, with a Buttermilk Dressing. It was light and refreshing.

I chose the rabbit dish, which was a loin cut into three slices with bacon and pea tendrils over a bed of risotto with fresh peas. It was succulent and bursting with pea flavors. I did not regret my decision. I am still licking my chops thinking about it. Mmmmmm, wahbbit.

Dessert was somewhat of a downer. The spumoni that came with a friend's dish was only so-so and the cookie plate for the table was outrageously priced for what you got. Trust me. Your grandmother makes better cookies and she gives them to you for free!! Don't bother with dessert. Skip over to another place, like Finale Desserterie & Bakery (about .81 miles away) if you must have a sweet treat, or just sit back and sip on another amazing cocktail, which is exactly what we did. I will point out, however, that the Irish Coffee at the tail end of the meal was not quite what you get in Ireland, so I'd skip that too. Stick to the standard cocktails, the salads, and entrees and you won't be sorry. At all.

Oh, and bring a hefty credit card if you decide to go full-on with the spirits. My intent was to try the Remy Martin Louis XIII but at $250 do you get a sniff? a drop? a glass? who knows? All I do know is that it was too rich for my blood. Maybe another day.

1 Thank mizlgw
Pepperell, Massachusetts
“Great Restaurant!!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Started a food tour in Boston at the Liberty Hotel and made our way to Scampo, one of the three restaurants located at the Liberty Hotel. Not only is the ambiance great, but the food is amazing! We stared off with homemade breadsticks made by the pastry chef- delicious. We then had a tomato, mozzarella, and arugula salad with 6 year aged balsamic Vinegarette and then had a slice of the lobster pizza, one of the tastiest slices of pizza I have ever had!! Definitely planning on going back!!

Visited July 2014