“An interesting historical military landmark. Worth a visit BUT come prepared...”
Review of Fort Warren

Fort Warren
Ranked #170 of 392 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1852, the fort served as a prison for captured Confederate soldiers during the Civil War.
Hartford, Connecticut
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Fort Warren is on Georges Island in the Boston Harbor Islands National Park system. I went here in July of 2008 with my boyfriend and found it to be a good... and more relaxing "historical-tourist-option". The fort seemed huge and had various signs/plaques posted for you to read about the history of the place and learn what the rooms were.

It seems like a good place for a picnic as there were picnic tables and a few charcoal grills in one area. There was also a snack bar. As we made our way inside the forts' center there were even people playing soccer (with no nets). I don't recall seeing trash barrels though so whatever trash you create, prepare to carry it with you off the island. But one of the things that I did find interesting was that they had solar-powered port-o-potty's on the island!

We were rushed going through the fort because we wanted to see all we could before catching our scheduled ferry back to the mainland so plan your ferry departure time accordingly because you could easily spend at least 2 hours exploring this place. We do plan to take a trip back here since we were rushed, but as another reviewer mentioned--bring a flashlight! But be sure to bring a GOOD flashlight! I had brought this little one that certainly wasn't powerful enough, a good bright Maglight should do the trick because there are many dark corridors and rooms that I wouldn't dare try to explore without one.

I too, found it sad to see the fort in bad shape. However there was a sign posted to the entrance of the island at the time saying there was work-in-progress and that the island was undergoing improvements to restore historic paving, new orientation signage, new septic & water, as well as new fort failings. So I can only hope the Fort will receive the repair it needs. It's a pretty cool retreat from the city. Definitely pack a backpack with water and snacks you think you'll need along with that flashlight I mentioned, as it's worth checking out.

11 Thank Karascorner

A TripAdvisor Member
“Love the islands”
Reviewed 18 February 2006

The fort and the Boston Harbor Islands are a great way to spend a couple of hours or the whole day. The winter cruises being offered allow you to see seals and other wild life.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great picnic area”
Reviewed 28 October 2003

The Fort is a great place to have a picnic or relax with friends on a summer day. There's a lot to see but not much around in terms of signs ("what am i looking at?") There's a new guidebook available in the consession stand that looks like it would be a fun read for history buffs

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member