New England Holocaust Memorial
US$35.00*
Boston Jewish Culture Walking Tour
Ranked #11 of 402 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: The six glass towers of this striking memorial serve to represent the six million Jews who perished in the Holocaust, six main Nazi death camps and the candles on a menorah.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

As a German resident in Boston, I'm frequently visiting the Boston Holocaust Memorial, especially, whenever we have guests from abroad (often). Situated in a prominent place of the city, it is as much non-intrusive as it lends itself for walking through it (almost inviting). Once you enter the venue it guides you through the glass towers representing the different concentration camps, each of them engraved with the horrific set of numbers - IDs, the Nazis allocated to the individuals they incarcerated. The pathway itself tells the story of other groups terrorized by the Nazis: Slavish people, Sinti and Roma, gays... I feel like every yard of the way, while impressing the horror of that past, it also increases my awareness of the necessity to look out for tendencies in actual politics to use similar group blaming tactics, the Nazis did. The exit of the memorial could not have been chosen better: citing Martin Niemöller:
"First they came for the Communists
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Socialists
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Socialist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me."

1  Thank Tiberius_Gracchus
Write a ReviewReviews (2,134)

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I worked at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. over two years ago, so I thought I had seen all the ways to remember the horrible event. However, this memorial is different. In the outdoors, and visiting it in the rain and at night, it presented an even more spooky feeling, as the same thoughts run through one's mind -- "how could the international community allow this to occur so that ~6 million people could perish?" I am glad I visited this memorial at night, as opposed to the morning or afternoon, since I think the fact that there were fewer crowds left me alone to reflect better on the event.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

It is a very moving memorial to visit. The walk through it is makes you think in a solemn and reflective way, rather than sensationalising the tragedy. The stream rising up through the memorial blocks is eerie and invoked the gas chambers in a powerful way. It was a good opportunity to talk to the kids about what the holocaust was about and the human impact it had. In the midst of the "glorious" history of revolutionary Boston, it was a good moment to think about what loss of freedom means and why fighting for freedom, rights for all, and equality is so important.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The memorial as a simple collection of glass towers along a path of inscribed stones and memorials which simply tells the story of the Holocaust.

I was there on a busy Saturday afternoon and almost stumbled upon it on accident, but the crowd who were passing through were quiet and respectful.

My only reason for not giving it 5 stars is that some of the inscriptions are slightly difficult to read if the light is not exactly right - the approaching dusk was one of those time.

Do go to spend a few precious minutes to contemplate and absorb the history and the sacrifice.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stumbled across the memorial when walking part of the Freedom Trail in the evening. The memorial is very effective, especially at night. I didn't see any of the memorial signage, but the way the vapors are visible at night immediately evoked the gas chambers. Brilliant. Walking through the vapors definitely made me reflect on the horror of the holocaust. The points of lights that you see below ground through the metal grating were also moving. I interpreted the lights as representing individuals that were killed. Very moving; it communicates without words.

Been to New England Holocaust Memorial? Share your experiences!