“Not bad to mix european tastes with Americans”
Review of L'Aroma Cafe - CLOSED

L'Aroma Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Milan, Italy
“Not bad to mix european tastes with Americans”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Cookies are awesome.. a little bit expensive but I guess you pay the fact that is on Newbury street. It's a nice place for couples and family.. Sometimes I also saw people clearly known in chat meeting there.. (weird)

Visited June 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
“RACIAL & SEX DISCRIMINATION!!!!”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

1. The owner said: PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD NOT LIVE IN THIS COUNTRY! with overtones of racism/sexism
2. It is too slow

I am a female Asian physician and I have a little bit of an accent. I am also a supporter of local business and wanted to introduce my friends to that coffee shop. On Saturday, April 13, 2013 at about 5:25 pm, my friends and I decided to stop to get coffee at L'Aroma Café and cupcakes at the next door shop. Because there was a huge line to get inside the cupcake store, my friends (two white men) walked in the coffee shop before me and ordered coffee, while I went to the cupcake line. We were planning to order take out only. Unlike the cupcake store, L'Aroma Café was not crowded, however, I was able to get the cupcakes before my friends got our coffee, then I walked in the coffee place and my friends were seated instead. As it was taking so long for coffee, I sat with them, but having with a box of cupcakes in front of us was not easy and we opened the box to taste them. It was a mistake, and we did not know we were not supposed to do it. There were no signs; nothing indicated that it was not allowed. As we were eating our cupcakes, they called my friend's name for the coffee. They picked up the coffee while I was getting sugar. Meanwhile a rude man, claiming to be the owner of the establishment, talked to my friends saying that we were not supposed to eat other store's food in his shop. Unaware of what was happening, I got back to my seat and was finishing my cupcake. My friend was about to tell me what the man had just told him, when the owner came back and started yelling at me to stop eating the cupcake. With my friends he was rude, with me he was extremely angry, out of his mind, could not even wait to hear me, and yelled saying that we had to stop eating that, even when it was already inside my mouth. As a physician I've tried to calm down to situation and talk to him, saying that the reason we were there was that I was a loyal customer that wanted to introduce my friends to the best coffee in town, that I even had a "fidelity" card of his shop. He did not back off, continued yelling saying that we could not eat cupcakes because it was against the law (we were not eating anymore). Then, I replied saying that he could have told us the same message in a less rude manner, and by being rude at his customers, he would only scare a loyal customer like me, but I would tell my friends how he had treated me. Then he said with anger: "tell all your friends, go to the Internet, write about it in Yelp, I don't mind! At this point he was not talking to any of my friends, only yelling at me. He turns his back to me, walks few steps away and in front of everybody he turns to me and say in disgust: "PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD NOT LIVE IN THIS COUNTRY!"

It took me off guard; I was not expecting such a demonstration of hate, discrimination against sex/race in a public place like that. My friends immediately recognized the overtones of racial/sex discrimination and were shocked. I was petrified, offended, humiliated, sad, and started crying. I could not complain to anybody, since that man was the owner of the shop. Never could I have imagined such display of racism and prejudice in Boston in 2013. Few minutes later, he comes back to me and I challenged him by asking multiple times: "What do you mean by "People like me? People like me like - what???" He did not answer my question.

It was a clear demonstration that he did not want "people like me" in his shop, because I am a female Asian. Growing up in a very diverse free community, I am not overly sensitive about it. But I've never witnessed such a shameless, loud, public exhibition of hate against a particular group of people. Attitudes like that set forth the wrong examples to the society; stimulates hate and intolerance.

IF YOU ARE "PEOPLE LIKE ME" who regardless the color of your skin, sex, age, etc truly believe in the US Civil Rights, YOU SHOULD NOT SUPPORT THIS BUSINESS!!!

• Visited April 2013
Mansfield, Massachusetts
“Fine coffee and pastries in an independent shop”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The title says it all! This is a cozy place with delicious things to eat and drink. Especially if you want to support local alternatives, this is a great choice.

• Visited April 2013
NYC Pal
“Keep walking.....there are other places”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This is a very popular place. There's some window seating, but mostly small tables placed around the perimeter. I think it's busy because it's one of the first cafes you'll come to when walking down Newbury St from Arlington. The pastries are okay, the coffees are adequate, and the sandwiches are nothing special. It's quite crowded on the weekends, as the outside offers sidewalk seating. It's not that this place is bad, it's just that it's not as tasty as Flour! FYI, after 5 pm, some of the pastries, muffins, etc are half priced.

• Visited March 2013
Lawrence, Kansas
“Awesome Café with superb pastries and sandwiches”
Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

During a business trip to Boston, I discoverd this Café located on Newbury near Copley Square area. The shop prepares superb lattes and coffees. They also have a wide range of desserts, sandwiches, calzones and soups. I had lunch there on afternoon, and it was pleasant and the food was superb. The place is a tad small so your choice of seating can be difficult. But the front bay window is superb for people watching while enjoying a superb cup of coffee. I suggest you take a book and savor the moment. And by the way, the macarons are superb!