“Favourite place we visited.”

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
Ranked #13 of 389 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A Venetian palace in the middle of Boston, Gardner's home is now a museum displaying her impressive, eclectic collection of European, American and Asian art, including sculpture, paintings, furniture, ceramics and textiles. Visitors can stroll or rest in a spectacular skylit courtyard filled with plants and flowers.
Orangeville, Canada
154 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 189 helpful votes
“Favourite place we visited.”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

So eclectic and creative...and you can see it all in one day.
Audio tour was very useful.
I would love to spend the rest of my days in that court yard.
A very inspiring woman we are learning more about.

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fairfield, Connecticut
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I really liked this museum. It's in a beautiful house and has a lot of really nice artwork. The design of the house reminds me of the Cloysters in New York, with a beautiful courtyard in the center.

Visited November 2012
Watertown, Massachusetts
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Great new wing!”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Anytime someone visits Boston, this is the place I take them. The courtyard is so amazing, and the displays throughout the various rooms are very neat as well.

I always try to eavesdrop on the tourguides to learn more about the art, but they handy placards throughout each room.

The new wing is great and I just got a groupon so am headed back again soon!

Visited August 2012
Glen Ellen
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A little jewel box of an art museum”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

If one goes just for the history and the architecture, one can enjoy it greatly. If one adds the gardens and the art collection, one will enjoy it even more! Combined, the museum is a wonderful cultural experience.

I knew about this museum and made a point of visiting it when I was on my own. The docent was very helpful and friendly and she loaned me a guidebook, so I knew the details for each piece. The gardens themselves are exquisite. I just sat and enjoyed looking at the courtyard for awhile.This is a must--see museum when one is in Boston.

Visited April 2012
219 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Interesting Buildings, But The Art Is Not My Taste”
Reviewed 24 December 2012 via mobile

The Gardner Museum is a beautiful set of buildings in the Fenway. While most of the museum is comprised of the old, the very recent addition is quite nice. The collection, however, is not to my liking: This is not so much a criticism of the museum, as it is a reflection of my much more modern tastes. But for those who enjoy what the Gardner offers, it is a worthwhile trip.