“Cheap!”

and up
Boston's North End and Waterfront Walking Tour
Ranked #83 of 396 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: During daylight hours on Fridays and Saturdays, the Haymarket on Hanover Street, near Boston's North End, is rich with culture and bargains. Visitors who stroll through the crowded alley can spend very little and come home with a full load of fresh fruit, vegetables and seafood sold by local vendors.
New York City, New York
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Cheap!”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The weekend fruit and food market really is to die for. The prices, without a doubt, are the lowest in New England. The crowds really come out for the weekend market, but it is worth it as the atmosphere is an enjoyable afternoon alone! I've been to a few farm-stands and markets in New England and the prices here, and selection, were by far the best I've seen!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank nycbookwriter

Washington DC, District of Columbia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Supermarket excess results in super savings success”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I assumed the rock bottom prices meant the food would go bad on the subway ride home. But I decided to take a chance as I didn't have much to lose - $1 for a pound of grapes, $1 for a crate of clementines, $1 for a pound of peapods, $1 for two pounds of string beans, and the most surprising of all - $4 for a pound of salmon! There were also good deals on sweet potatoes, squash and zuchinni. But alas, we got through almost all the food before it went bad (We got through 3/4 of the string beans before going on vacation). FYI, all the food that we did eat (with the exception of the sweet potatoes - we still have a couple) we ate in a week.
On Yelp, I read complaints about rude and dishonest vendors, but I did not experience either of these. Everyone was super friendly and patient. I can't be sure about the weights, but the bags of stringbeans and peapods were huge, so if they were cheating, it wasn't by much. It was still certainly a better value than the supermarket. Thus, I am planning to make this a weekly trip.

Some tips:
- Take your time finding ripe fruit. Not all of it was good and we made sure the crate of clementimes had as many good pieces as possible. We figured we'd still discard some, but we managed to eat them all within a week.
- Boil or cook what you can as soon as possible. We boiled the string beans and pea pods and I'm sure this got us some extra time. We baked the salmon that night and it was delicious. In addition, I froze the grapes - they lose a little flavor but will last virtually forever.
- Bring cash as credit cards are not going to be accepted by most/any of the vendors. I'm guessing they would appreciate small bills as well - :-)

Visited December 2013
1 Thank BoatsBootsBalloons
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fri Sat market ”
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

We have been here several times go on Friday for fresh but inexpensive items and go during sat close you will get truck load of things for less than 10$ but beware of the quality on sat since most things will be out of leftovers

1 Thank Sagar D
West Palm Beach, Florida
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Lowest Prices Ever Seen in New England”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

On our way for lunch my brother recommended we get off and check out a Boston speciality market - Haymarket (which was actually started over 2 centuries ago where hay was the main thing to sell). Fast forward into the 21st century this market is alive and kicking and so much fun.

The prices are sooooo low I couldn't believe I was looking at gorgeous fruits and veggies for a fraction of what you would pay in supermarkets.

Apparently the produce is what supermarkets can't sell during the week, but it looked fresh.

And it's much more than just produce. They have fresh seafood, cheeses, meats and even goat meat.

You can check out some amazing photos and more info on my blog.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Travel_Experta
Southampton, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Cheap, but produce is past it”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I think the title sums this up pretty well! I bought some grapes, some plums and some blueberries. None of them were perfect, and I ended up dumping most of it (the acceptable stuff wasn't worth sorting from the awful).

Visited July 2013