“Great people watching and great deals on all kinds of foods”
Review of Haymarket

and up
Boston's North End and Waterfront Walking Tour
Ranked #84 of 394 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: During daylight hours on Fridays and Saturdays, the Haymarket on Hanover Street, near Boston's North End, is rich with culture and bargains. Visitors who stroll through the crowded alley can spend very little and come home with a full load of fresh fruit, vegetables and seafood sold by local vendors.
Walpole, MA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great people watching and great deals on all kinds of foods”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I don't know which is more interesting, the people working the stands or the other customers! Many different languages spoken around you and ethnic food markets, too! On one side is the produce stands and on the other side of the sidewalk there are some great ethnic grocery stores, that sell halal meats and MANY different cuts of several different meats. Some of the stores are down ancient looking stairs into these cool basement stores - I've gotten some good fish and harder to find spices there. There are 2 other fish booths as you walk around; I've gotten great fish from both of them, as well. Love the cheese monger, my only regret is that I don't buy from him more. AND, they sell great French Bread to go with some brie and wine. The produce isn't perfect but the prices make it worth taking the small chance that it will go bad quickly. My advice is if the price is much lower than the others, it may go bad rather qucikly (not that I've ever had strawberries get fuzzy on the ride home. . . ).

Visited April 2014
1 Thank faminita

Bangor, Maine
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“A Unique Experience”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

To visit Boston and miss this would be a mistake. It would also be hard to do, since it's nestled right on the Freedom Trail and close by to so many other attractions.
It's a great place for finding those hard-to-find ethnic specialties of spices, cheeses, breads, meat, etc.
Fantastic for people watching and experiencing something different. It is an authentic experience you will enjoy. I promise.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank R S
Back In The Saddle Again
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't miss it!”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Where else can you go for a nice walk, meet people from all over the world, buy fresh produce cheap and be entertained for free? Get over the fact that all of the produce is not perfect. This is a must see whether you live nearby or are visiting from out of town, I make it a point to stop by every time I'm in the city. I also checked out the Custom House today for the first time. The best $4.00 I ever spent (plus it is donated to Children's Hospital) What a view of Boston from the outdoor terrace on the 26th floor!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank PlayaBoy_9
New York City, New York
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Cheap!”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The weekend fruit and food market really is to die for. The prices, without a doubt, are the lowest in New England. The crowds really come out for the weekend market, but it is worth it as the atmosphere is an enjoyable afternoon alone! I've been to a few farm-stands and markets in New England and the prices here, and selection, were by far the best I've seen!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank nycbookwriter
Washington DC, District of Columbia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Supermarket excess results in super savings success”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I assumed the rock bottom prices meant the food would go bad on the subway ride home. But I decided to take a chance as I didn't have much to lose - $1 for a pound of grapes, $1 for a crate of clementines, $1 for a pound of peapods, $1 for two pounds of string beans, and the most surprising of all - $4 for a pound of salmon! There were also good deals on sweet potatoes, squash and zuchinni. But alas, we got through almost all the food before it went bad (We got through 3/4 of the string beans before going on vacation). FYI, all the food that we did eat (with the exception of the sweet potatoes - we still have a couple) we ate in a week.
On Yelp, I read complaints about rude and dishonest vendors, but I did not experience either of these. Everyone was super friendly and patient. I can't be sure about the weights, but the bags of stringbeans and peapods were huge, so if they were cheating, it wasn't by much. It was still certainly a better value than the supermarket. Thus, I am planning to make this a weekly trip.

Some tips:
- Take your time finding ripe fruit. Not all of it was good and we made sure the crate of clementimes had as many good pieces as possible. We figured we'd still discard some, but we managed to eat them all within a week.
- Boil or cook what you can as soon as possible. We boiled the string beans and pea pods and I'm sure this got us some extra time. We baked the salmon that night and it was delicious. In addition, I froze the grapes - they lose a little flavor but will last virtually forever.
- Bring cash as credit cards are not going to be accepted by most/any of the vendors. I'm guessing they would appreciate small bills as well - :-)

Visited December 2013