“Hot as hell”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #12 of 28 Speciality Lodging in Boston
Reviewed 15 July 2014

No aircon in rooms fan does nothing it is like a sauna. Location is good but I've felt more comfortable in the middle of the Sahara.. In desperate need of cool air in the building. Wet towels shouldn't be needed to sleep anywhere

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sendtorichie
There are newer reviews for 40 Berkeley

Reviewed 13 July 2014

As a hostel was nice. The room was simple but clean. The environment is nice and the internal garden is beautiful. The toilets were ok and the location good. However it was not worthy the price we paid. For that price we could go to a hotel!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simone T
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is the cheapest place to stay in Boston if you want a private room (which is not to say that it's cheap, but it's an expensive city). It is marketed as a hostel, not a hotel, and so it has to be accepted that the standard of accommodation will be as such. I stayed for four nights - two in a double and two in a single room (because of availability issues) and the title of this review sums up my experience.

The hostel is in a great location (very convenient for Greyhound and Amtrak, not so good for parking). The area is safe and close to the main attractions - downtown is about 15-20 minutes walk away and Boston Common is also nearby. The staff were fine - not overly welcoming and they didn't tell me about any of the discounts available for attractions, but I can live with that. The rooms were spartan, but fine for a short stay. The decor reminded me of an old school classroom - varnished floors, a large in-built closet and (in the double) a traditional wooden desk with graffiti etched into it. The beds were comfortable if not the best quality. The blinds in both rooms were broken which meant sunlight streamed through in the early hours of the morning, and there was no mirror in the single. The wifi was generally ok, although it did cut out occasionally. Lots of reviewers have commented on the filthy bathrooms - maybe my experience was unusual, but the bathrooms on the sixth floor were always spotlessly clean and had recently been renovated, and I never had to queue for a shower. Towels were also provided.

The breakfast was a good addition, but for the quality of the food it probably wasn't worth it. My scrambled eggs were so watery I had to stop them from sliding off the plate - the continental choices were better. I didn't spend any time in the common areas, so can't comment there, but I got the impression it wasn't the best hostel for meeting people if that's what you're after - most people tended to keep to themselves or stick with the groups they were travelling with. There are also a significant number of older, permanent residents - not an issue for me, but if you're looking to have a raucous time, this place wouldn't be right for you.

40 Berkeley isn't a bad place really, although I still think it's a tad overpriced. In summary, if your financial means are restricted but you really want a private room, it will suffice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

As myself and my partner are travelling across America for 3 months we wanted to stay somewhere relatively cheap but also clean and comfortable for our stay in Boston. Unfortunately the 40 Berkeley was cheap but neither clean nor comfortable.

Don't let the nice clean, air conditioned lobby fool you, once you get into your room it is like stepping into a sauna! The only way we got any sleep was to wet our towels and sleep with them over us!

The shared bathrooms are prison like and don't feel very hygienic. 2 showers and 3 toilets for a floor of 30 rooms ... You can imagine the morning rush.

Needless to say we checked out after 2 nights (we are in Boston for a week) and all the receptionist could say to us was "you know you won't get your money refunded"...

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Emma N
Reviewed 10 July 2014

3 day stay: shower drain plugged, scummy water with gobs of hair floating. Another day, no toilet paper OR paper towels for 30+ rooms. All surfaces greasy/grimy throughout. Will bring sanitizing wipes to "clean" my room forever onward. Disgusting impression for international visitors.

Otherwise, good location 1/2 mile from Boston's great subway. Huge, welcoming lobby with helpful desk staff, sightseeing info, nice courtyard, computer access, Wi-Fi, television theater, even a library. Awesome cafeteria-style breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Let me start by saying that I am a backpacker. Most of my vacations involve sleeping on a sleep pad 1 1/2" thick. :) I was looking for a place to stay in Boston that was both affordable and in a convenient location. This place fit my needs perfectly. The rooms aren't fancy compared to the $300/night hotels (but then, I didn't pay $300/night either). The bed was fine, a cross between a cot and a bed. I stayed a week and slept great the entire week. The bathrooms were clean, the water hot, and the breakfasts were great. I even grabbed some fruit for lunch on the go every day! Staff was always friendly. I have no complaints about my stay and even tried to book them again for my next trip to Boston (sadly, all full). For people that see a hotel as just a place to crash at night and want to spend their money doing things in the city- this is the place for you! If people want want a hotel with bells and whistles and plan on spending lots of time in their rooms, better look into those $300/night places.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Because lodging in Boston can be extremely expensive and if you're only staying for 2-3 nights, this hostel was fine. There are shared bathrooms, which have a weird smell and make me wonder how often they get cleaned...and the rooms are very basic. You aren't given any washcloths (only towels) or shampoo, so bring your own. By no means is it a nice hotel, but if you are looking for a cheaper option and aren't planning on spending most of your time in the hostel, then it is a good option. I personally thought the breakfast was good; it was served lunch room style and was changed daily. The one main gripe I had was the elevators. They were SO slow. I ended up taking the stairs (we were on the 8th floor) towards the end of my 3 day stay but hey, I got more exercise! Also, there is no AC. There are fans and we had decently warm weather, so the room didn't get too stuffy.

Stayed: June 2014