“So bad....”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #12 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Boston
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Pros:

The only nice thing they have is a lounge downstairs. It's pretty much it. The location is good too, but the negatives outweight it.

Cons:

It was so bad that I don't even know where to start. The room was small, smelly and not renovated for at least 20 years if not more. The halls and stairs looked like from horror movies. The bathrooms and toilets were in such bad state that I didn't even want to have a shower that morning. Don't even get me started on the cleaness and bedding stains...

Basically - stay away. This place is so not worth the price they're charging.. Boston can be covered in one day, so try to get the accomodation outside the city, if you can. It's a bit cheaper.

Oh and I think some of the floors are rented by the homeless people shelter. A couple of them were hanging around the reception area and shouting at the people passing by. Definitely didn't expect it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,267)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our stay here was.....ok. Sure- it's a hostel. Sure you should expect a few less comforts than a hotel but that doesn't mean the staff can't at least be friendly. None were very engaging or seemed interested in our stay- it was all business. One example was when we first arrived and approached the front counter the first words we were greeted with were "Can I see your ID and Credit Card please?". We were the only guests present at the time. It was not busy.

Once we were checked in and given a key (old school) for our room- we discovered we were given the wrong key and had to come back down for right one (not that big of deal). They couldn't find the right key so they gave us a spare (kinda weird but no biggie). What was strange was that on day two of our stay- we came back to find our key not work again. We made a trip down to the front desk again only to find they changed our lock. There was no explanation- they just gave us another key. My point is- that was a bit of a gong show over a simple key of which no consideration was expressed for our time and efforts to go up and down stairs not to mention changing our lock without any notice or explanation.

The place felt inline with the 1950's date on entrance to the building and it's original purpose as a YWCA. Sure- it's been livened up a bit in the lobby area- but the few pics on the website gave me the wrong impression it turns out. I was expecting it to be fresher, hipper, nicer. Instead it was clear to me someone wants to invest as little as possible into this place. I will admit the courtyard was very nice and the neighbouring community and location are both awesome!

Overall- I regret this stay. I felt the staff treated me like this was the only place I could afford. I believe there is a TON of potential in this hostel- it just needs to find some hospitality and some personality. I wish them well.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AudiLoverCalgary
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The only thing good about the hostel was its location. We only used the hostel for sleeping, as our short stay meant we needed to pack our days full of activities to make the most of the time. I wouldn't say the hostel was dirty, nor would I say it was clean.The staff were okay I guess, they did not understand us, which was frustrating (they were American, so no idea why they couldn't). On the website,we were promised breakfast and toiletries as well as great facilities, the kitchen was closed however and the only toiletries were the soap and water in the bathrooms. They did give us a voucher for breakfast at a nearby sub shop, but I did not find the choices very good (were quite unhealthy and greasy). It is okay for a room for the night, but do not expect more. I know it is a hostel, and I shouldn't have expected too much comfort, but I had more hopes following the promise on its website.

1  Thank Rissa1993
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Considering the price, it's not really worth it. It is very noisy because of the traffic. The rooms are very small and very simple, only one power outlets, no lockers, no A/C, old and small beds. The guy at the reception desk was very low efficient and not very helping. Overall, not a very good place for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our family stayed here one night while in Boston. We had a private room and were right next to the girls bathroom. Bathrooms were very clean and rather updated. Our room was like a college dorm room --super simple and plain --but it is a hostel, so I respect that. Since we pay per person, the rate seemed a little high, but I'm sure that if we tried to get a hotel near that same location, we would have paid much more. So it was a good experience (we had never stayed in a hostel before) Cafeteria was closed, but they lined us up with a cafe across the street, and that was great.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014

About 1hour To walking fr.o.m. Central station. But subway is fine,
Very old interior. Fel like 1960. No curtains. Old hard bed. No lockers. Very bad which means u cant leve anyting. For hostel okey but Max 1-2 nights

Room Tip: IF u look for hostel its just fine
Reviewed 9 August 2014

alk to her school, but an advantage was that she really learned her way around the city. She felt very safe. 40 Berkeley has nice lounge areas and a very cute shaded outdoor patio. Breakfast is included. The entrance is monitored 24 hours with front desk personnel. Again, the staff was very nice and made my daughter feel welcomed! It is not air-conditioned, but her dorm would have This a great choice for a reasonable stay in Boston. My daughter did not have housing for a summer program at Berklee College of Music and this was a lifesaver! We booked by the week. It is basically a dorm room, but the bathroom on her hall was newly renovated and very clean. Actually nicer than my dorm was when I was in college. There are also rooms with a private bathroom. The staff was excellent and the manager, Edward, very accommodating to work with. The room was much quieter than a dorm would be, and gave my daughter a break from all the noise, chatter, and music during the day. She had a 20 minute wnot been either so that did not matter.

Room Tip: Ask the staff for a floor with a newly renovated bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo