“One of the better hotels”

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #52 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Having been away from this hotel it was good to make a return visit, and overall I was very I impressed with my stay. As they say it's location location location! This hotel is downtown opposite a large mall connected by covered walkway and opposite a big supermarket. The reception spacious with plenty of seating, check in was quick and efficient. The rooms are large very well appointed, how many hotels actually have tasteful pictures on the walls? The bed comfortable, good soundproofing from other rooms and outside noise, helped give me a good nights sleep. The bathroom very clean, top quality toiletries are included. The fitness centre and pool are superb, they rival many private gyms, all the equipment was very modern and in good working order. As others have mentioned, the lifts still have issues, I waited for about 3-4 minutes only to see the lift arrive empty. With this resolved I would gladly upgrade my review to excellent. I look forward to my return visit.

Room Tip: Choose a room above the 27th floor as the lifts cover less floors, 1 to 27 or 27 to 38.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,383)

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying that Marriott has set the bar pretty high for me in the past and perhaps that is why this property fell short. As Marriotts go (especially those that are a Level 8) this property is a bit tired and in need of upgrades. Rooms are incredibly small - so small that the bathroom has a pocket door - and only basically appointed. While clean, everything just appears worn.

The hotel itself has limited food options but that isn't necessarily a problem given its Back Bay location. Very convenient access to Copley and the Pru from the second floor. Stay here out of convenience, not for luxury.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at this hotel and would return next time I am in Boston. While it is largely a business hotel, I was on holidays and found it to be an excellent hotel from which to explore the city. It is in very close proximity to Back Bay and the rest of the city can be accessed by foot, public transport or cab.
The rooms were comfortable and reasonably sized - the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was also of a reasonable size, was clean, and had everything that was necessary.
The breakfast on the concierge level was enjoyable and provided for all tastes, although did finish quite early, but I guess most guests are business guests.
The staff were polite and helpful. The only negative about the hotel is the speed of the elevators, however they are being upgraded.
I'd recommend this hotel to others easily.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We have always been a fan of the Marriott at Copley Place, but, not this time. Shame on the Management. The rooms were not supplied with the basic needs of the traveler particularly if there are 2 people. There is no water pressure in the showers on the upper floors. The lobby chairs show wear and the atmosphere very drab. A very unpleasent experience. What happened to this luxury hotel? The prices are astronomical. Donato Fortebraccio of Naples fl. & Maine

Room Tip: Lower floors for water pressure
1  Thank fortemaine
Reviewed 27 November 2013

As a repeat visitor of multiple times, I always find myself returning to the Marriott Copley Place as it has a combination of features that make it appealing for me.

First, the location can't be beat. Copley is right in the heart of the Back Bay, yet remains walkable to downtown Boston and the Commons. It is connected via covered, interior walkways to the two largest malls in the city (Prudential Center and Copley Place). This made entertainment quite easy, especially in light of the frigid temperatures while I was in town.

Second, the hotel is kept in great physical condition. I stay at enough large hotels, particularly convention hotels, to know how beat up furnishings and rooms can become with such high occupancy and frequent turnover. So I really appreciate the excellent condition of not only the common areas, but the rooms themselves. The furniture was in great shape, as were the walls, carpeting and other items that usually show signs of wear. At check-in, my platinum status was recognized and I was upgraded to an executive suite. I had previously received corner rooms, but never a suite so I appreciated the upgrade and large, well-appointed room.

Third, the hotel has a great concierge lounge. You can enter the lounge via two different floors and it has both seating beyond the main entryway, but also in the elevator lounge. You can only exit either floor by using a room key in the elevator so even the seating outside the lounge itself remains quiet. Food is typical lounge fare, but they do have three fancy illy coffee machines where you can make many different hot drink options.

Many reviewers have mentioned the slow speed of the elevators. There was a major conference while I was staying, and at most, I waited 4-5 minutes for an elevator. The hotel is aware that it is a problem and is installing a high speed elevator system similar to the what the Marquis in NYC has put in place. But still, I barely found it more than an annoyance.

If there is one drawback to the hotel. it's price. This is consistently one of the most expensive hotels in the Boston, but I do believe when considering all the positive factors that it is still a solid value.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights for a conference. I was lucky to have a delegate rate. I don't think I would stay again at full rate as it is only average and I would try out somewhere else.

Positives = I found the beds very comfortable and not soft as others have said. Soft bedding, yes, but not soft mattress so actually added to the comfort. The location of the hotel is very central & it's right next to two great malls (through I couldn't find a toyshop anywhere!). It is opposite a Shaws supermarket where you can easily buy a takeaway lunch or breakfast if you don't want to pay about $20 for the breakfast buffet. (They didn't do an inclusive rate when I booked, and after one very average breakfast I went to buy my own.) The pool looked really nice, though I didn't get time to try it. It was a short walk to the Museum of Fine Arts which was superb, and also to lots of restaurants and cafes in the evening.

Minuses = Although it had two doubles, the room was quite small, such that if you wanted to have friends in for coffee there would be nowhere for you both to sit. Not sure how a family would manage (had originally planned to bring husband & son.) There were minor errors in service, like the phone handset was not working, and a bottle of hotel shampoo was lying on the floor from a previous guest. Housekeeping were friendly, but breakfast servers were surprisingly gruff, which I don't expect in the US. The elevators were painfully slow to arrive on a busy conference day. They had the airconditioning full blast in the room - in November! (this is a shocker for a British guest, do they have no awareness of environmental issues?! I switched it off and the room temperature was fine for the entire stay.)

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Haven´t been in Boston before and to choose a hotel was really hard. To be honest - the location of this specific Marriott is unbeatable! During our USA-trip we stayed there 3 times, because Boston was our "home-base" and it was very convenient. Would we stay there again - probably not if we want something relaxed and quiet, because this hotel isn´t quiet and relaxed. You have connection to two malls and one T-stop (subway), a 24h supermarket is on the other street-side and there´s a huge champions-bar which is always full (starting with breakfast in the morning). The staff is like the hotel - not relaxed - I think working there is like working in a factory. We met a nice gentleman from the Netherlands and a nice lady who worked in the breakfast service, but every other contact with staff was really based. We also had three different rooms during our stays and with our first check in they tried to give us a room on the 7th level facing a big rooftop-airconditioning-system which was horrible! After complaining and a room move they always offered us rooms on the 20nd level or higher which were ok, but always never quiet - there is noise everywhere - also because of the bad windows. The be honest - the views were always stunning.
We visited Harvard, walk the Charles River Esplanades, been at the harbor pier (also Marriott Longhwarf which seems much quieter), walked the freedom trail, did a city tour just with the gentleman down the lobby and had a great time in Boston which is a very nice city.
The prices we booked over the internet where much cheaper than the one on the Marriott homepage (200 $ instead of 450 $ excluding VAT!) and October is a very busy month also, but we loved Boston.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends