“Nice Property in Great Location. But its really a 3.5 Star”

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Overall this is very nice property in an excellent location. The location could not be better. The rooms are large, the fitness center is updated & quite large with a nice variety of equipment. They have a large indoor pool & hot tub. The lobby has been refurbished & is quite nice. Has a real open sense to it. But like most of the hotel. It was refurnished on a budget & it shows. From the cheesy silk flower boxes at the rotating doors to come inside, to the cheap furniture & the skimpy artwork.

The hotel has the look & feel of a hi standard 3.5 star hotel. Think Doubletree or an Airport Marriott. That happens to be in the center of one of the best locations in Boston. My room #2023. Was large & quite comfortable. But while the room has been redone, the furnishings are quite dated. With the flat scree TV sitting inside an outdated dresser that looks like it belongs on the set on an 80's era sitcom. The drapes & curtains are also circa 1986. The new artwork in the rooms is cute. But there is not enough of it. Its skimpy & small. The beds feel like you are sinking in & as said by hundreds of other reviewers, are just not very comfortable. The bathroom was very small & not very comfortable at all. I did appreciate the large work space on the desk. Albeit very old furniture that is showing its age. The desk is large & comfortable.

The customer service however was excellent. Every interaction I had with a staff member was excellent. The front desk agents are of a great attitude & everyone was eager to help. I had a random housekeeper that came into my room as I was standing at the closet hanging my clothes. She did not knock, she just came in. I was like WHAT ???

She apologized profusely. Saying she thought the room was empty. I did not complain, for fear of getting her in trouble. But the experience did make me feel very uncomfortable & made me question how safe my belongings were going to be in the room.

For a property this size. One would think they had more then one dinning option. But they do not. Just one lousy restaurant with mostly bar food. I never used the room service so not sure how that was.

Elevators are quite slow. Expect to wait for what can seem like a very long time on occasion. They are in the process of resolving this I believe. As they had signage up. But for now, expect to wait.

I still give the property a VERY GOOD rating. Because in the end. It is very good at what matters most. Location, Guest Service & Comfort. I wish the owners would invest just a lil more to make the property look & feel more upscale. They would be able to demand higher rates for the hotel if they did that.

2  Thank miamiskyboy

Reviewed 7 June 2014

nicely appointed hotel with great location attached to two upper end shopping malls with numerous excellent restaurants. Food choices in the hotel limited and lunch service at champions slow, but the staff more than nice. Rooms had great views and were well appointed. Meeting space generous. One can walk all over downtown Boston. Would go back if another mtg scheduled there.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I spent one night at this hotel earlier this week. I thoroughly enjoyed the neighborhood and convenience to nearby attractions. The hotel is within walking disatance of many restaurants, bars, shopping, Fenway Park, and MIT campus. As a business traveler, it is a litte far from downtown (1-2 miles depending on your location) to walk if that is an issue for you.

The staff that I interacted with was friendly and helpful. Each area I visited was clean. The Concierge Lounge was average at best by Marriott standards, although the views of the city from the 28th floor were great.

The room decor is slightly outdated, but again, the best feature is the view. I would highly recommend booking a high floor to take advantage of the large outwardly facing windows. I found the elavators to be my main frustration at the hotel. One set serves floors 1-27, while another 28 and up....meaning you may need to transfer when going to certain places. Not only is that inconvenient, they are just incredibly slow. In fact, there are signs in the lobby apologizing for the elavator delays. I waited over 5 minutes for an ride from the 5th to the 17th at one point.

So overall, far from my favorite Marriott, but I'd stay here again. There are better options in Boston.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to benefit from the great views in the hotel.
1  Thank bretts11
56bbc, Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel and for the kind words about our staff.
I was disappointed to learn that you found the décor of our Guestrooms and Concierge Lounge unsatisfactory since they were renovated fairly recently.
As you pointed out we are engaged in an Elevator Modernization Project, and at times cause the elevators to be slower than expected. However, we are excited about this project and look forward to providing state of the art transportation within the hotel in the near future.
Once again thanks for your comments and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed three nights, rooms were nice. Was on the 34th floor, so had a good view, elevators were a little slow. Great location for getting to anything. Walked to Fenway for a game. Was convienient to transportation and easy to walk to Boylston Street and just about anywhere in town. Did charge a lot to connect to internet.
Connected to a mall, so access to almost everything.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I've been at the Marriott twice, in the 2005 and 2009.
Absolutely Amazing! In a perfect position to visit the town and to enjoy the mall with a lot of beautiful shops and restaurant of any kind .
The atmosphere near Christmas is unique.
The only thing which made me upset was about the elevators: You have to wait so much !

Anyway I recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Do not use Hotwire if you are in Canada. I called in to book a hotel based of the Canadian website and was billed in USD costing me an extra $50. I was told that it was not their issue and i could have a good day. This is soooo wrong and i hope people stop booking off this site. Use something more reputable like expedia!!

I have nothing bad to say about the hotel itself, I am sorry I had to write this in the review section.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
JohnR3924YC, Front Office Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Steve,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you also for enjoying your stay.

I am sorry that you had challenges with Hotwire. Unfortunately, that is an independent company and we are unable to influence their operations. Nonethless, we appreciate your comments.

All the best.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Spent five days here a year ago for a conference. My wife and I were able to check out the whole city from here. We bought a two day pass for one of the trolleys where you can get off and on as much as you want. If you haven't been t Boston then you should check it out. The history associated with this city is amazing. There's buildings and cemetery's that are 400 years old next to buildings that are 20 years old. This is where our country started and everyone should check it out.

Room Tip: Higher level room the better. The views of the city and all the brick buildings are impressive.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business