“Stay at the Westin instead”

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #52 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vienna, Virginia
“Stay at the Westin instead”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Oh my, this is a great location, connected to two pretty fun indoor malls and near a lot of major sites in Boston. But oh my, they just aren't up to hosting groups (and maybe not up to hosting individuals.) The elevators are "in progress" and people waited as long as 20 minutes for one. The locks on the doors frequently don't work and there were several days when we had to get new keys three times a day. The safe in our room was not bolted to the floor, or the wall, or anything - it was completely free-standing and someone could easily have walked away with it. And when I got there they didn't have a room for me.
On the positive side, there's the location, and the in-hotel restaurant Champions, that's pretty good. But I'll stay at the Westin the next time, believe me.

Room Tip: Since I wouldn't stay there again, I wouldn't recommend a particular room.
Green Features: They encourage re-use of towels - that's all i was aware of.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
JohnR3924YC, Front Office Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences in our hotel during your last trip to the Boston area.

I am sorry that you feel that your stay was less than pleasant. This is unusual and I understand your disappointment. I am at the same time pleased to learn that you enjoyed Champions Bar & Grill as well as our great location.

Thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I had a nice stay - my room was nice and clean and had wonderful views of the Charles River. I had LONG waits for elevators, however. There is a first-rate grocery store across the street (Shaw's) - I was there every day for snacks and bottled water. They have very good sushi, too! The hotel location is good, right on Huntington Avenue in the Back Bay area. I took the new Logan Express both ways to-and-from the airport. It runs every 20 minutes and costs $5.00 - can't beat that. It drops you at Copley Square and then you have a 5-minute schlep (up an incline, unfortunately) to the Marriott.

Room Tip: Plan ahead for the slow elevators.
2 Thank 493Ron
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My guest room was very clean and quite comfortable. I liked that there was an empty fridge in the room, especially since there is a nice supermarket directly across the street. I stocked up on fruit, yogurt, juice, and granola bars, and never had to pay for breakfast at the hotel. The hotel itself is connected to two malls, so there is easy access to restaurants and shops. There are many fine restaurants within easy walking distance.

The location was perfect. Directly across the street is where you can take a Duck Tour of Boston (I recommend that as well!). The Back Bay transit station is at one end of the mall connected to the hotel, so you never have to go outside. There is also a cheap ($5) bus called the Logan Express that takes you from the airport to Copley Square, and then it's just a two block walk to the Marriott.

The Champions Sports Bar at the hotel is large and serves average hotel food. I found that it can get quite loud during World Cup games!

Although there are many elevators, they did NOT seem to work efficiently, and I often had to wait a long time. (I was there for a convention, so maybe that's not typical.) See below for room tips.

Because of its fantastic location and all of the conveniences nearby, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Because there are two sets of elevators (1-27 and 27-38, ), I would choose to stay on floor 27. I wa...
1 Thank shaw5604
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

.A large hotel that is quite busy as is used a lot for conference etc. Wait time for elevators can be lengthy . Location is perfect for the leisure traveller. Standard Marriott rooms that are clean. Room service is average. Sports bar gets very busy at times and the staff can vary. Covered walkways to shopping and eating which can be a godsend in Winter. Avoid rooms with connecting doors for noise issues.

Room Tip: Avoid connecting rooms
Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GALLERY1974
JohnR3924YC, Front Office Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly our excellent location and the clean rooms. I am sorry that the elevators at times were inconvenient. We are currently engaged in an elevator modernization project and it is possible that they are slower at times. However, once completed, we will have one of the fastest and most efficient systems in the Boston area.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and I hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you again during your next visist to the area.

All the best.
los angeles
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had a good experience during our 2-night stay. It is a huge hotel used by many business people. We stayed on a concierge level, floor 28, and did not experience the slow elevators I read about from other reviewers. Lounge food was good and it was definitely helpful to have bottled water readily available. The hotel is connected to the copley mall; we didn't shop there but it was a convenient path to the Amtrak station for us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel gives you quick access to Copley Shopping, Prudential, the Sheraton, and the Westin. It is probably more central to everything than the Westin or the Sheraton.

There is a grocery store right across the street, and there are a lot of eateries especially around Berkelee School of Music right around the corner.

The pool is nicely sized for kids or laps. The gym is nice and well used.

Downsides are slow elevators, small beds, and a $50/day parking charge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank smge1lc
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Here for a large conference and what a great experience. From check-in with Claudia to the restaurant, concierge and hotel staff everything was wonderful. Even checkout was a breeze, and once again Claudia surpassed expectations. Even though there was a glitch with our rate (reserved at conference rate but charged more), I have no doubt she will have it corrected because nothing seemed impossible with this team. I will definitely return!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business