“Great Location, clean rooms.”

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 February 2009

I recently stayed here for a 2 day conference and was pleasantly surprised. Check in was easy and the room was quite clean. It was nothing fancy, but a standard Marriott style room.

The location is great since the hotel is basically right inside the Copley Place mall, so if you are at a conference and have a little free time there is something to do nearby. It was especially great since it was bitter cold in Boston for most of the trip and I didn't have to go outside for much, you can also do an indoor walk to the Shops at the Prudential Center. While I didn't use it, access was easy to a major T station.

Some nightclubs and restaurants were within an easy walk the one night that I ventured out.

There is a hefty charge for parking, so make sure you factor that in if you are driving to the hotel.

There is an atrium bar that draws a heavy crowd on the weekends if you want to get a drink without heading too far out. They did say it was closing for renovations, I'm not sure if the entire hotel is going through a renovation, it seems like it could be ready for one, so you may want to ask before you book with them.

2  Thank spinkid

Reviewed 26 January 2009

Stayed at the Marriot for a conference and the fact that it is across the street from the Back Bay Station is great. However that's the last time I would use that particular adjective when describing this Marriot. The rooms are starting to show their age and painting a door multiple times will not help. The elevators don't seem to be able to keep up with a large crowd and you'll find yourself waiting quite awhile on some occasions. The breakfast at Gourmeli's is typical of any hotel overpriced for the quality and while the staff is courteous, the size of the hotel will not allow for anything resembling personal service. It's convenient, but I imagine there are other places nearby that would prove superior.

1  Thank CarrJL
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I stayed here last week on business. It is a nice hotel but overwhelming at times. It is well located in the Back Bay and connected to a high-end mall. Plus you can walk indoors thru the mall to another mall and cross about four blocks without going outside. Nice when it is cold outside.

However, this place is huge and difficult to find your way around. It really is a factory, although well run. The hotel has no character but offers nice rooms, typical Marriott amenities, efficient service and a good location. In my opinion, this hotel is perfect for a business trip but a special occasion I would try somewhere more interesting.

1  Thank nycthing
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Nice Hotel.But they need to correct one thing
If you park your car (it cost 35.00)you can no longer go in and out as much as you want like other hotels.You must pay each time.
That sucked.

2  Thank Donks13
Reviewed 22 December 2008

Without a doubt, the hotel is well situated. Adjoining a mall and with the metro and AMTRAK right across the street, it is easy to get to your destination. In summer, it's a lovely 30 minute walk through the park to the historic area.

I have stayed here several times this year and must say the hotel has been consistant. Sadly though, it's nothing special. On the positive side, the rooms are well appointed. Very Marriott. On the (slightly) negative side, I don't find the staff very welcoming. While they are not rude, I don't find that they go out of their way to impress you, either. Luckily my interactions with them are minimal now.

Would I stay there if I was visiting Boston on vacation rather than business? Yes. But then again, II wouldn't be spending my entire vacation in the room!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony P
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I booked this hotel using Priceline. I came to Boston with my son ,who was trying out for a game show. Most of my comments on this hotel are positive. The location is very good, and it is connected to a mall for those interested in shopping. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby for a quick breakfast. The staff was very professional. There is a small pool and excersice room. My only complaint lies in the noise level. At 1:00 a.m., I was awaken by loud, obnoxious intoxicated people in the hall outside my room. The walls are way too thin. The hotel seems to cater to a business crowd, and I would not recommend it for a family vacation.

Reviewed 5 November 2008

My family stayed here for 4 nights starting 10/31. WE booked the hotel as part of a package on Priceline, because we were coming for a college football game and this was the "headquarters" picked for Tiger fans.

Anyway, the location was fabulous...almost couldn't be better. We were so close to the T, so we could get anywhere we wanted. The lobby was really pretty and seemed well-kept-up.

Our corner room on the 31 floor had spectacular city views. The room was pretty clean. I did note a hair on the shower wall that didn't belong to us, but otherwise, I had no complaints about cleanliness.

There were only two things that kept me from giving this hotel a higher rating: 1 - minimal space for clothing (there were 4 of us in this room, with only 3 small drawers) and 2 - (and this was the biggie) the beds and pillows were horribly uncomfortable. The mattresses were really squashy. Not so much lumpy - just really soft. The first night I hardly slept at all. The pillows are similarly squashy...and small...I could ball it up and fit it under my neck. Fortunately, after spending our days walking miles around the city, we were all exhausted enough to sleep even though the beds were uncomfortable.

Over all, though, I'd stay here again. Maybe by next time, they'll update the mattresses.