“Great location, poor security”

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #52 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 March 2010

My family has stayed here many many times. We've always had good experences before our last one. The rooms are nice and a great feature is that the hotel is attached to the Copley Place Mall. We were staying here on April 10th 2009 when a masseuse was murdered a floor below us by the "Craigs List Killer". I know that this can happen in any urban hotel but I have to say that there is unrestricted access from the mall into the hotel. Absolutely no security at all,nothing. Anyone can walk in from the mall and go right into the hotel unobserved. It's no different than a roadside motel where the doors of each room open onto a parking lot. In contrast, when we visited the Westin Hotel at the other end of the mall, everyone coming in from the mall had to pass in front of the front desk and bell captain stand and was scrutinized by hotel staff. In the future I will staying at the Westin. I would never stay at the Marriot again. I would not feel safe.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Murggy
Write a ReviewReviews (3,380)

Reviewed 12 March 2010

We stayed at this hotel this week. The hotel is very nice. It is conveniently attached to the Prudential Center and Copley Place. The Prudential T stop is two blocks away. Convenient location to walk to shops on Newbury Street and Boston Common. We had a corner room on the 37th floor which had a great view of the city towards Fenway and Christian Science Plaza and a smaller window with a view of the Charles River. The room was clean. The bathroom had a generous counter that was big enough for all our toiletries. The fitness center was recently redone and was as good as my gym at home (all Precor machines with individual TV's). We had pool to ourselves every night. We only paid $90 a night using Marriott's Price Match Guarantee and it was definitely worth it.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank IULynn
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I was able to get an early check in at 10am, but I found the rooms a little tough to sleep in during the day. There was a lot of hallway noise with housekeeping and just general slamming of doors and such. I realize I'm at a downtown location, so the outside sirens and such are to be expected.

The hotel has a nice lobby, but the elevator set up is a bit confusing as there are 2 separate sets, one for floors 1-27, the other for 28-38. If you want to go the concierge lounge on the 28th floor and you're on the 26th, you must go down to the 5th floor and transfer to the other elevators.

As for parking, use the valet, as you must then go through the attached mall with your luggage if you park yourself. I think its only $2 more per night.
Tried calling for room service, but gave up after several attempts. When I called the "at your service" button, I was told I must call room service. Went for a walk through the mall and found a Legal Seafood's. Better off.

While a nice place, in general, I would check out another hotel in the area before coming back again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2010

The Copley Place Marriott is one of my favorite hotels in Boston. They gave the place a facelift last year and the public areas are very nice. You can't beat the location for shopping, restaurants and night life. It's all outside the front door. Champion's is their sports bar/restaurant and it is beautiful. Plenty of TV's, great bartenders and wait staff, good food and great times. The rooms don't have much personality, but they are very clean and comfortable. All in all a good choice in Boston.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2010

Stayed at Mariott Copley Place on business. The room was comfortable and clean - the lobby and bar areas well appointed. Connected to both Copley Place and the Prudential - so able to walk around and shop. There are also restaurants that you can get to by walking through the maze of the mall areas, which isnt the most unique way to go - but is a great choice for a female business traveler like me who always has personal safety in mind. Nice lounge area - sports bar with big screens for watching sports. Starbucks on site. Wireless internet is a charge here - even in the lobby. This location is excellent - close to Newbury Street - the T and other back bay locations. Concierge lounge well stocked for both evening drinks and dessert, as well as breakfast in the morning. Although the rooms and decor are really nothing special in terms of luxury, I would stay here again, especially if traveling for business and needed this location as a base.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I was at this hotel for a conference. When I checked in at 4:30, they had no rooms available. After waiting a half hour, I finally got a room on a low floor. The view wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. The room was OK but nothing spectacular, noise from the hallway was pretty loud though. Location is great if your event is at the Hynes Center but it's really awful if you're at the Boston Convention Center. The charge of $12.95 a night for Internet is ridiculous. I probably would not stay here again as there as plenty of other good hotels in the area.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I stayed at the Marriott Copley for business and leisure with my spouse. I have to say this was a wonderful hotel! The location was fantastic and the rooms were great! The beds were absolutely heaven! The service was also wonderful, they were very helpful with billing issues and any questions we had. I also liked that the hotel was connected to a mall and the T, which made it easy to travel without paying for a taxi. The hotel is within walking distance to downtown, the library and the Boston Commons area. I truly can't say enough about this place. It was a relaxing and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business