“Our Latest Stay Here”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New Haven, Connecticut
“Our Latest Stay Here”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We were attracted by a recent special which was run by Marriott. We stayed two nights in a room which actually had a view of Long Wharf and the boat docks. It was a quiet, spacious, well-ventilated, comfortable room, clean, with some nice new touches since our previous stay at least four years ago. There’s a nice flat screen TV, and a refrigerator to replace the mini-bar (nice touch). Pillows are a little too soft for our tastes, and I doubled up on mine. The breakfast buffet is as well-equipped as it ever was. As we experienced in the past, check-in was quick and professional and the staff remains friendly.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 27 June 2009

With daily parking at downtown hotels here and at other hotels at $40+ a night, we didn't get a rental car while staying here and it worked out well. We got a great deal for the Long Wharf Marriott through AAA, otherwise it's pretty pricey, although not out of line of other nice downtown hotels. The Aquarium T stop is just outside (blue line) and you can easily walk to other T lines. Fanieul Hall, Quincy Market, Old State House, North End (Paul Revere's house, Old North Church, Italian food), Copp's Hill Burial Ground, New England Aquarium are all within easy walking distance. Also, just outside there are booths for trolley tours, Duck Tours, and whale watches. There are a few restaurants just in front of the hotel, one of which is Legal Seafood.

As for the hotel itself, the staff was very friendly and helpful. I'm confused about an earlier review that said it needed updating because the carpets in the hallways and our room looked new and nothing looked out of date to me. Our room was roomy and clean, with a 32" flat screen TV, a bar fridge and a safe. Since we have kids, we spent a lot of time in the pool. It's kind of triangle shaped with a depth of 4' and 5'. There's a whirlpool with a sign that says absolutely NO children under age 16, so it's kind of nice that they keep it for the adults. That's probably because it's part of their health club. I didn't exercise but it looked like there were 2 exercise rooms with treadmills and weights. There was also a small arcade and a laundry room.

In 3 days, we never heard any noise from neighboring rooms or the the hallway, which surprised me because the large open air banquet room (Palm Court) was just outside (and down a floor). Since this hotel is downtown, we heard typical downtown sounds like car horns and people talking loudly on a Saturday night outside the hotel, but this could be minimized by asking for a room on the north side which is next to a park rather than the south side.

If you do decide to rent a car after touring Boston like we did, there's a National Car rental about a block away. We just picked it up about a block from the hotel, then returned it to the airport a few days later after visiting Maine.

We ate at the fine dining restaurant Oceana, and it was expensive but very good. Our service was wonderful.

Oh, and there are a few Dunkin Donuts nearby. This was a major plus for me!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank amastel
Sterling, VA
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I had to go to Boston for business to meet one of my company's vendors. It was one of those quick trips to put out a fire kind of stays, plus I was not thrilled about having to go to Boston in early February. However, the Boston Marriott Long Wharf was charming enough in itself that I look forward to staying there on my next trip back.

The hotel is across the street from a metrorail station that I took to and from the airport, which was nice since it was freezing out. Next time, when it is a little warmer I plan on taking the Airport Water Taxi that pulls right up to the hotel. I must not be built of the same stuff the locals are because I saw brave ones take the water taxi as part of their daily commute.

I was not there really long enough to comment on the staff. My only interaction with them was the 2 minute check-in process, at the bar, and at the breakfast buffet. The only parts worth mentioning were the friendly bartenders and just Bostonian mannerisms. First, all the patrons were obviously from out of town and the bartenders answered everyone’s questions like it was the first time they heard it, and not like they got the same ones every other day. And second, Bostonians, not just hotel staff members, did not seem to take well to the word “thanks” or “thank you” or any other such verbiage that indicates gratitude.

Here are two examples out of many: Example one - A Bostonian kindly helped me at the airport in regards to finding the right shuttle to take me to the metro. I told him “thanks for the help” and I received a blank look; Example two - At the hotel buffet I was asked kindly what I would like to drink. When the OJ and coffee arrived my “thanks” was met with a side way glance like my dog does to the TV screen when she hears barking during the Dog Whisperer.

My room was spacious, comfortable and with a 40 inch flat screen. The bathroom was a little different in lay out compared to your typical hotel, but it did not bother me one way or another. I suppose it allowed for more space in the main room which was fancy. I also had a great view. The hotel juts out on the water like a…. well like it was built on a wharf. If I looked straight or right I could see the Inner Harbor. If I looked left I could see Columbus Park and Faneuil Hall Marketplace.

I look forward to my next visit to Boston where I will hopefully be staying at this hotel. I will make sure I have more time to check out the aquarium, that is only steps away.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank nlaycook
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Arrived tired after long flight from London expecting comfortable ambiance like Marriotts elsewhere in the world. Had to beat our way through the chaos outside to what seemed like a downmarket shopping centre and onto the escalator. When I saw the room I cried as it looked onto the Palm court and we had to keep the curtains shut as everyone could see us. To add insult to injury the bathroom extraction did not work and the whole place smelt. The hotel was full they said so after a bad night when the air con blasted loudly in my ear we managed to get our room changed to a view of the harbour. Better but by then I was feeling very disenchanted for $299 a night plus taxes about another $50 this is not good enough. I was concerned that security guys patrol the corridors as they do not have key cards on the lifts and just anyone could walk in so I did not feel safe.

The staff were all friendly and helpful which was the only plus side. The restaurants are very underused as they do not open onto the harbourside and the hotel is like a big stranded whale which only looks Ok from the water itself. One other thing is the rooms only have bottled water from FIJI ? and the restaurants VOSS water from Norway! Eh why can't they buy local. We stuck to the tap water.

Ther are loads of much nicer and better value hotels in Boston as we found out when we moved to the Courtyard on Tremont Street and looked in a few others. The T system means you are never far from the Harbour so I regret the choice to stay there.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank christel
Alaska
Reviewed 14 May 2009

The Marriott Long Wharf on Boston Harbor is an absolutely stupendous location for tourists and conventioneers wishing easy access to many of the central city's historical landmarks and the North End, especially now that the downtown highway renovation and re-routing (aka Big Dig) is complete. Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are a block and a half away, and the Boston Common is a few blocks beyond. Even business travelers will find themselves in the heart of the Financial District after a five-minute walk. Adjacent to the New England Aquarium, this hotel provides the visitor with stunning views of the Boston skyline as well as the busy harbor and airport, and some of the best eateries in the city were within a short stroll.

Visitors staying at the Marriott Long Wharf will not likely need a car unless they need to travel to the suburbs. (On-site parking is $42/day.) You can catch the "T" from the Aquarium Subway Station next door, and rail travelers arriving at South Station will find the hotel about 1/2 mile north. Cab fare from Logan Airport is $25-30, or you can save a few bucks and enjoy the on-call, cozy water taxi ride for $10. Also, the Metro Boston Transportation Authority operates the Harbor Express catamaran year-round (except for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day) giving access to Quincy, Hull, and other areas along the waterfront. Harbor cruises and whale-watching boats leave from nearby docks.

I arrived at the Marriott Long Wharf mid-week in late April, and even then the place was buzzing with tourists as well as many visitors coming to see sports events. The long, rectangular building with seven "terraced" floors (see photo) is constructed of deep-red brick, which yields a kind of industrial mill feel to the place from the outside. The bellmen are welcoming and helpful. Inside on the spartan ground floor, there is a small Starbucks kiosk, and two escalators take people to and from the lobby on the second floor. People tend to mindlessly gather around the top of the escalator making entry and exit awkward if not dangerous at times.

I can't say the hotel lobby feels particularly luxurious or welcoming when compared to other high-end Marriott hotels. The decor is a bit of a mish-mash of old building features (like the checkerboard floor tiles) and new (like the CFL bulbs casting harsh, bright-white light into the lobby area). The small reception desk area can be very crowded at times. I didn't want to linger. I just wanted to get away from the crowd and go to my room right away.

Initial check-in was smooth, and I was impressed that the smiling front desk clerk had my keys ready for my arrival. I trekked up to my assigned room on the 5th floor and found a do-not-disturb sign hanging on the knob. Assuming it was a housekeeping oversight, I opened the door to find clothes and used towels scattered across the room, so it clearly was an occupied. Annoying, but it does happen. Back downstairs again for a quick re-assignment and key exchange, and no further problems were encountered.

My room was what I call typical "Marriott-style" with upgraded cotton linens and down/feather pillows on a comfy bed, a small computer work desk, and a small bathroom with tub and shower. The bathroom had two small double doors opening outward, which made things a bit awkward, since one would block the entrance door. A comfortable upholstered chair, ottoman, dresser, large-screen TV, small refrigerator, and safe completed the furnishings. My room had a nice view of Christopher Columbus Park on the north side of the building with partial views of the water and the North End. Wired and wireless internet is apparently available in rooms, although I wasn't traveling with a laptop to try either. (Note: Marriott's wired-for-business package runs $12.95/day.)

The Oceana Restaurant just off the lobby serves seafood, and it is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I liked the modern nautical decor, and I had a couple of meals at the bar. Bar staff were universally friendly and efficient, even when busy. I can recommend fresh oysters on the half shell (six for $13) as well as the crab-crusted cod ($20), which was absolutely fantastic. I overheard other patrons raving about the lobster ravioli with a sherry cream sauce ($16). Despite the many excellent dining options near the hotel, Oceana is an outstanding choice if you should decide to stay in.

The Concierge Lounge on the 7th floor is at the water-side end of the hallway with a kind of solarium feel. The large windows face the harbor, and the lounge offers a wonderful place to relax and watch the world go by. The continental breakfast selection is pretty standard. Evening snacks and desserts were better and more varied, so I suggest stopping by for a drink and hors d'oeuvres before, say, trekking to the North End for some fantastic Italian cuisine.

I can suggest to anyone thinking of visiting Boston to stay at the Marriott Long Wharf just based on location alone. My only dislikes were the feng shui of the lobby and rather dark and dreary hallways. I realize it's an old building which the designers/decorators have tried to re-package as a modern hotel with historical features, but the combination doesn't quite work. I cannot honestly describe it as luxurious like other hotels in the Marriott category 7 I have patronized. Comfortable? Yes. Convenient? Yes. Good staff? Yes. Recommended? Absolutely.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Aurora_Guy
cshel08
Reviewed 2 May 2009

We stayed for 3 nights at the Marriot Long Wharf Hotel in Downtown Boston during the Boston Marathon. The hotel has an older nostalgic feel but also had some modern touches as well. Our room was fine, about what you'd expect from an older Marriot property but a little small and basic for what they are charging for a nights stay. They can easily get it though becase this location cant be beat. It is right on the water's edge of Boston harbor just across from the aquarium. Most of the ferry boats and charters are docked there and the trolley tours start there as well. There is a T stop in front of the hotel and it is only 2 subway stops away from the airport on the blue line. Legal Seafood restaurant is just across the street and is a must ... the prices for an outstanding seafood dinner were actually slightly less that what I had expected to pay. The restaurant at the hotel is also pretty good. One really nice thing about staying here was how helpful and friendly the bell hops were. Everytime we left the hotel they asked if we needed directions to where we were going and then they would offer you money saving tips, reccomendations, and even some things to avoid. They were great! Also, there is a S-bucks located right in the hotel lobby. We loved it.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank cshel08
Orlando
Reviewed 21 April 2009

The Marriott Long Wharf is located just off Boston Harbor, it is right across the street from the Boston Aquarium, with a T station (subway) just a few steps away. This gives you great easy access to all of Boston. The airport is only two stops away or a ferry shuttle directly to the Wharf. Tram rides are available just across the street. Our experience was a good one, the rooms were clean, the beds very comfortable, the staff was helpful and respectful. Their is a weight room, sauna's, hot tub, indoor heated swimming pools, a starbucks, and good restaurants. A business center includes internet, printer, and fax machines. The hotel is within walking distance of many of the best restaurants, bars, shopping, and sights and museums in Boston. They had great big screen plasma TV's. Overall it was a great atmosphere, and a real pleasant stay. We recommend it for kids too.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business