“Great Staff -” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, Canada
“Great Staff -”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Not a hotel with fancy lobby and reception area but the friendly and helpful staff at every turn made it a welcoming and cosy experience. There was a wine reception each late afternoon and the wine was far from ordinary - some really outstanding Napa Valley wines when we were there. We had an upgraded King after the first night we were there and the room was definitely four star plus. Spacious, very well appointed and super comfortable bed and bedding. The regular King we were in the first night was comfortable but tight. Like most big city hotels parking a pain. Here pretty much had to rely on valet parking, but they were quick and reliable.

Room Tip: See the room first - big difference between the basic King and he Upgraded King that we experienced
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cboydell
JMaibach, General Manager at Copley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Thank you very much for your gracious comments! I will be sure to share with our team.

As you mentioned, parking is a bit of a guest 'pet-peeve' as just about all hotels that do not own their own garage, which is 90% of the hotels in the city, out source the service and charge between $42 - $46 for 24 hours (we charge $43). While many people find this excessive, we do have 2 separate garages across from us that charge in the mid-to-high $30's for 24 hours. However, they will charge you again every time you use the car and bring it back. With us, you get in-and-out privileges. So, if you are going to use your car while with us, it cost less to use our Valet services and pay a bit more. If you aren't going to use your vehicle and crossing the street is not a problem for you, then I would recommend parking on your own.

Thank you again for your kind comments!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

The hotel provides excellent service, comfortable and clean rooms (with such practical ammenities as flat iron, hair dryer, safe, coffee and tea for free during morning hours) and free wifi in your room. Additionally, it is perfectly located (1 min to Prudential Center, 2 min to Newbury St, 2 min subway, 10 min to Boston Public Garden).

Room Tip: Ask for free-wifi and for a king-size-bedroom (queen-size bedrooms are rather small, especially if y...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JMaibach, General Manager at Copley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
'Feels Like Home'- that's the best compliment anyone can give us! Thank you very much!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

I have stayed at the Copley Square Hotel on 3 different occasions for both business and vacation trips to Boston. It is located in a great spot right by Copley Square, two blocks to the T and within walking distance to the Esplanade, the Commons, Fenway Park, a ton of restaurants of all kinds and many colleges and universities.

The people have always been wonderful, though I have only had to deal with the front desk staff (not housekeeping or valet). They are always pleasant and helpful in a relaxed, yet sincere manner. On my last trip, I suddenly found that I needed to stay one more day and even though they were charging almost double what I had paid for the previous three days due to a major convention that was in town, they let me stay that extra night at my original price.

The rooms are a little small, but perfectly adequate. Often it's because it is an old and oddly shaped building so the rooms are tucked in here and there--it's rather quaint. That said, the rooms are also very stylish and sophisticated without pretense. The other nice thing is that they have free wi-fi; something a lot of the "high end" hotels gouge you for at $15+/night (can you say Fairmont!?).

The other nice feature they have is the 5:00pm "Wine Down" where they offer complimentary wine in their lobby/lounge for an hour, three glasses maximum per person. It's not the best wine, but it's not the worst--I would buy it for my own home as an average dinner wine.

The only two things I was not pleased with or found detracted from an otherwise great place was the breakfast--both the service and the quality. The service was very slow and slightly unprofessional (maybe a new guy??) and the price for what you get is on the ridiculous side of things, especially given all the great restaurants all around the hotel. The other thing, and it's really only something I experienced from a distance and in no way impacted my stay, is the "hip" night club/lounge they have. It just seemed a bit trite and came off as trying way to hard given how relaxed and casual (but utterly professional) they are in all other aspects.

Anyway, it is where I will continue to stay when I go to Boston, so even pretentious young hipsters will not keep me away!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sonyaliet
JMaibach, General Manager at Copley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you very much for your honest appraisal of your experience and, most of all, your loyalty. I think your review says it all about us and is perfect for those looking to understand what we are all about- our rooms may be cozy or quaint, but are sylish, well appointed and 'sophisticated without pretense'; our staff is personable, 'pleasant and helpful in a relaxed yet sincere manner'; and VALUE. While our room rates may be on par with those in our neighborhood (location, location, location!!!!), no one offers the value that we do. You were kind enough to mention Wine Down and complimentary wi-fi, but we also offer Morning Power Hour (6a - 7a- bottled water and granola bars for those eager enough to start their day with a morning exercise routine) and Complimentary beverages in our lobby throughout the day.

But it is our service that has generated the loyal following that we have and what we recognize that is most important to our travelers- being 143 rooms enable us to get to know our guests unlike many of the big boxes around us. As a result, your comments about your breakfast experience is most troubling for us and I would welcome the opportunity to better understand what caused your dissatisfaction. If you have the opportunity to email me your contact information (john.maibach@copleysquarehotel.com), I would welcome the opportunity to hear more about your experience and how we can improve. I will also pass along your comments about the lounge to our tenant and I promise to do everything to keep the pretentious young hipsters out of your way on your next visit!

I look forward to catching up with you and should I not be able to do so prior to your next visit, please ask for me upon your next arrival.

Thank you again!
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Boston Back Bay Copley Square Hotel over 10/31/11 during the Nor'easter. I have to say that I was extremely impressed with the honesty as I left my fur coat, sweater, and scarf in the closet upon checking out. It wasn't until we arrived home 7 hours later that I discovered this faux pas. The hotel retrieved the items and immediately mailed them to me overnight fed ex. They were a gift to me and I would have been devastated if they would have been stolen. I was so impressed with the honesty and integrity of this hotel, that I would most definitely stay there again!!! Lisa and Art, Cape May Court House, NJ.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for sharing your experience and I am pleased to hear our staff was able to locate your items. I will share your comments with our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Boston soon! Thanks again!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

The staff is wonderful and really go out if their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable. It is centrally located to several attractions which makes it easy if you don't have a car.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your very kind review. I will be sure to share with our team.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

This was our 1st time in Boston and we loved it! Overall, our stay was very nice. I love boutique hotels and this one was perfect for my boyfriend and I (had to convince him to stay there as he's a Marriott points holder).

Started off bumpy w/a tv that had lots of static and a toilet that ran continuously but when we called maintenance, they were very attentive and tried their hardest to fix everything. When their were unable to fix the problem, we were treated to a continental breakfast and upgraded to a bigger room which was awesome! It was on the same side of the bldg (looking towards the Prudential bldg) with great views of the area. The rooms were clean, bed was very comfy and the old-style feel was really cute. The front desk and bell captains were so nice and helpful throughout our 5-day stay.

The hotel is centrally located; we're big walkers, so once we got our bearings, we realized how close we were to EVERYTHING. Finally, as much as I love wine we only made it to the wine reception once during our stay and for the last 2 minutes....too much to do in Boston. We'll definitely be back. To the staff....thanks for a pleasant visit.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trcekids
Thank you for your review and I certainly appreciate your patience and understanding with the challenges we had with your first room. Certainly not the type of first impression, or any impression, that we want our guests to have and we will use your experience to improve our service delivery.

I am pleased to read your comments about our bedding! Some others have mentioned how great it is and thank you for noting! As others have mentioned, the beds are very comfortable, the pillows and sheets are very soft (and with plenty of pillows!) and what adds to the experience are the black out drapes that create a great environment for sleeping in...if you have the ability to do so (it feels like 5am when it could be 2pm, which can create problems if you are on a business trip!!!)!

Thank you for noting the attentive staff and I will certrainly pass along your 'thanks' to the team. We hope to see you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

The location of the hotel is perfect. It's near great shopping and easy access to subway. We had a premier family suite but the bathroom was very small and old. When we used the hair dryer outside of the bathroom, the power went off in the suite and had to ask the staff to reset. They have a cocktail hour in the lobby which is really nice. The free wireless is also a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room and one not facing Huntington as it was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review as we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others even if we are disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations. You did stay in one of our Family Suites and the bathrooms in these rooms is 'tight', I did personally inspect your room following your post as I was concerned about your comments that the bathroom was 'old' and to ask for an 'updated' room, as well as your 'cleanliness' score. As we completed an $18 million renovation 3 years ago, I assure you all of our guest rooms and bathrooms were completely refurbished. Upon inpsection, I found your bathroom to be clean and in working order. While it is true that, on occasion, should a guest utilize our 1800+ watt hairdryers in the bedroom rather than the bathroom, you may lose power, I must emphasize these occasions are rare (part of the 'charm' of a 120-year-old building).

I am disappointed in your 'Service' and 'Cleanliness' scores and would be interested in undewrstanding how we could improve as your review doesn't provide enough detail. It is important for us to know how we are not meeting our guests expectations so we can revisit our standards and training practices and, if you have the opportunity to email me at john.maibach@copleysquarehotel.com, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks!