“Just perfect even with the construction”

Copley Square Hotel
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 August 2012

At some point, every hotel needs a facelift. This one has started undergoing one, so it takes away from your view. But, still everything else was perfect:

- the staff
- the wine reception 5-6 daily (no charge and quite nice)
- the eclectic lobby
- the hotel room-prem king was spacious enough, but the bathroom was tight
- BEAUTIFUL window treatments. I have started shopping for some for my own home
- solid and well built doors, faucets and just all structures
- TV's while you wait for the (relatively cooperative and timely) elevator
- toiletries with Blood Orange and other yummy stuff in them (still trying to be sure they are cruelty free though, Aidan is checking on that)
- Beds and linens are awesome

Overall, I would definitely stay here again, the LOCATION IS PERFECT! Even the Duck Tours are on the same street (though out of the way of the entrance).

Room Tip: Upper floor, King Premium
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,939)

Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is the third hotel we've stayed in as a family in Boston and this is where we will be staying during future trips. Everyone was extremely friendly. When we walked back in throughout the day, they said "welcome back". We had a Premier Double room which was very large and comfortable. It was very clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Beautiful old building nicely renovated. Our upper floor king room with a rollaway was big enough for us, comfortable and quiet. Just a very few minutes walk to Subway stop and next to grocery store. Short walk to Newbury street shops and restaurants. Very convenient location. Staff was very polite and helpful. Loved little extras such as quick movie snacks (room service) and locally written bedtime stories booklet. Nice little personal touches. Couldn't have been better. Would stay again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during the July 4th holiday. I figured that this would be a very busy time in the city and was surprised to get what I thought was a good deal on this hotel. It is an older building with renovations on the inside. The lobby has a very cute and relaxing feel to it.
Our flight plans changed and we got to Boston much earlier than planned. The person at the desk was great. It was 9 am and he found us a room so that we could check in early. The room is a little smaller than what we were used to with hotels, but how long are you actually in the room. The bathroom is tiny, yes, but it worked for us. I put toiletries on the back of the toilet instead of the sink. The decor of the room is very modern and contemporary (which i love). There is turn down service later in the day, when they leave you bottled water in your room (a plus!).
This hotel is in a great location. The train is very close, which you can also take to/from the airport for much less than a taxi. It was a very short walk to the hotel from the train with luggage, which i didnt mind.
The staff was ALWAYS friendly and if asked a question, they were more than willing to help. We experienced a problem with electricity in our room and once they were told about it, they fixed it right away.
Overall, this was a good hotel and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2012

this is a lovely small hotel, but has its drawbacks. prides itself on being helpful. we booked seats for a redsox game via the hotel at $150 each, when we picked up tickets they were approx $94.(written on ticket) after 4 nights at the hotel we wished to extend our stay, the revenue manager quoted one extra night at $726. needless to say we did not stay! pity, the hotel is in charming old building, the foyer bar area is especially nice, turkish style modern and a wine tasting 5-6pm is lovely

Room Tip: corner room was good at back, but did not see others to compare.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
JMaibach, General Manager at Copley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Thank you very much for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Let me take a moment to clarify and, hopefully, put your mind at ease. First, regarding the Red Sox tickets- the Sox have sold out over 730 consecutive games. As a result, the only way to accommodate guest requests is through a broker and we utilize Ace Tickets. Ace charges a fee on top of the normal ticket price. Unlike some other hotels, the CSH DOES NOT add their own surcharge on top of the price we are quoted by Ace Tickets. It is our belief that their surcharge is enough for our customers to pay and the hotel makes ZERO dollars on the sale of Red Sox tickets. There is no way around paying above ticket price and Ace is a reliable and reputable company that many hotels use. So while I understand the frustration, we are providing this service and not earning a penny from it. I will share your comments with our team so we do a better job of communicating the surcharge so it is not a surprise, as it was obviously to you and it shouldn’t be and for that I apologize.

Second, as for the amount you were quoted for your room, without knowing what type of room you were in and what date you were looking to stay, all I can say that it is obviously driven by supply and demand. While I understand and can appreciate the comment, over peak dates, our rates increase as they do with other hotels and industries. I looked to book a flight to Philadelphia last week and was quoted over $1000 round trip for the same exact trip/seat I paid $275 for a month ago. So I understand the frustration and I offer my apologies we couldn’t accommodate you, but it is based on local market conditions. Feel free to contact me at john.maibach@copleysquarehotel.com if you would like to discuss further.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Really nice hotel in a great location with incredibly comfortable beds and bedding. The premier family suite, with two large guest rooms (rarely found in other hotels), was perfect for our family of four. We were extremely comfortable at this hotel. Excellent customer service. Nice coffee set-up in the mornings, and lovely wine reception in the early evenings. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank frankieSF

Thank you for the great review! We do think that our beds are the most comfortable in the city...even surpassing the Heavenly bed product. Thank you for recognizing it! I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 8 August 2012

I visited the Copley Square with my wife for a long weekend, and then I stayed on for the week for work. The hotel was perfect for both purposes. The staff were very polite and helpful, we were greeted by the manager on arrival, and received an additional call to our room to check everything was to our liking once we'd checked in. We had previously requested a quiet room and an early check in and both requests were met which was great.

Our room was spacious & clean, and had everything we needed including free WiFi, large Flat-screen TV, a large desk for work, and a clean en-suite bathroom with shower and bath. The only negatives were needing to go to a different floor for Ice, and the toiletries could have been topped up more often (very minor points though, on the whole it was excellent!)

The hotel location is great for sightseeing and shopping being next door to the duck tours departures, the Prudential and Copley Square shopping malls, and 3 mins walk from Boylston and Newbury street restaurants. It is also only 2 mins walk to a T-Stop so perfect for getting around the rest of the city.

During the weekend we thoroughly enjoyed the free "Wine down" hour after a busy day of sightseeing! (Free wine reception for guests at the hotel from 5pm-6pm daily!) I only had breakfast and an evening meal once at the hotel, and both were delicious, especially the "Copley Burger".

Overall a lovely hotel, with a great mix of traditional and modern styles. I would definitely recommend it and will be staying here next time I return to Boston.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and got one away from the street which was very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelGoonerLondon

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a detailed review of your experience! I will be sure to share your comments with our team and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!