“Five Star Service & Location”

Copley Square Hotel
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just spent 4 nights at the Copley Square Hotel. The rooms were more European-sized than American, but I expected that, as part of being a historic building.

Copley Square surprised me by joining my personal list of "fabulous service worth coming back for". It equals or surpasses the outstanding service you look for in a 5-star hotel in Europe or the Far East. The front desk staff do concierge duty, and do it well -- you get attentive, smiling, gracious and cheerful help with anything and everything. When I left a special request with one desk clerk, each and every clerk I spoke with from then on knew exactly what I needed.

Over our stay, it became increasingly clear that the top-notch service culture at Copley Square runs deep and true. It extended to outside the normal "jobs" -- a doorman bringing out gallons of water to the driver of a car that overheated across the street (not a hotel guest); a housekeeper helping to bring luggage down the hall; a front desk clerk bringing out paper goods. No one was going to get tipped (or get their task list done any faster) by helping out. They just stepped forward and offered a hand.

Location, location, location: The location is perfect for seeing Boston -- three T line stations within two short blocks; smack in the middle of a fabulous upscale shopping district (indoor malls and outdoor boutiques + sidewalk cafés); just off Copley Square and the Public Library; and an easy stroll up the park-like Commonwealth Avenue boulevard, through the Public Garden ("Make Way for Ducklings"), the Boston Commons, State House, Beacon Hill, African American History walk, and the Esplanade. A slightly longer but equally easy extension of your stroll will bring you to the Old State House, Fenuiel Hall, Quincy Market (all on the Freedom Trail). In other words, you can tour all of Boston without renting a car (pain in the neck in this urban environment) -- walk and take the T. (The doorman will get you a taxi in a jiffy, should you want one.)

Oh, yes -- important for me as a business traveller -- free WiFi throughout the hotel, and a generously sized room safe, big enough for two laptops plus assorted other stuff (jewelry, phone, iPad, etc.), just one block from a major supermarket. The bed was extremely comfortable; no sagging at all, four nice down pillows and a down comforter.

Definitely my first choice for a future stay in Boston!

Helpful info for Shabbos/Sabbath observers: Desk staff were awesome about letting me into the room (electronic door key). Stairs are central, well-lit, easy to walk, and you won't trigger any alarms or lights. Decent-sized refrigerators available upon request (with no light!). Lobby bathrooms usable on Shabbos (with the exception of the sensor-triggered soap dispensers). Big room safe to lock up your valuables while you aren't using them. One block from a major supermarket.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,939)

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We just returned from a fantastic 7 day 6 night stay in Boston! Our ‘home base’ for the week was Copley Square Hotel. We couldn’t have asked for a better place to stay. The location, friendly, helpful staff, and comfortable room really set us up for a great week of touring Boston. We stayed in room 606 which is a “boutique queen” room. Based on some of the reviews I had read, I had expected a cramped, small room, but this wasn’t the case at all. We had ample space for everything. We loved the décor and I’m still trying to talk the Mr. into buying me a chandelier, like the one that hung over our bed, for our bedroom at home! We loved the afternoon turn-down service and never had to worry about having ample towels or hot water in the nicely appointed bathroom. When it was time to go, the staff arranged for car service to Logan and allowed us a 2:00 p.m. check out time. I HIGHLY recommend this lovely hotel for your next stay in Boston!

In summary:

PROS: Location (just two blocks from the T), nicely appointed room & bathroom, lovely décor, and a friendly, helpful staff!

CONS: None to report!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank teacher91
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We were staying on the gold floor and Constance the manager invited us to a rooftop party to see the fireworks. It was an amazing experience! We loved everything from the firecracker cocktails to the lobster rolls. The live performance of the spectacular fireworks display coupled with the lively patriotic party thrown for gold floor guests made us proud to be Americans and grateful to have the opportunity to be a part of Boston strong" and able to party in Boston . Thanks Constance this is an experience that we will remember

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking Copley square
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I used this hotel on a recent business trip to Boston. I booked the hotel 3 days prior to arrival and it turned out this hotel was the cheapest, which did make me slightly worried.

However, from the minute I arrived the quality of the hotel and the service (mainly) was of a very high standard. From the rooms to the food quality everything was of a very high standard.

The service quality overall with the exception of the female bar staff was fantastic. The only criticism I have was some of the female bar staff (not all) were more interested in talking to to each other about boys or being pretentious and generally unwelcoming to customers. However, the male members of staff at the bar were very friendly and welcoming, hence i found myself checking who was on the bar before I sat down.

Overall, a great hotel and would stay again, but would most likely avoid the bar here due to the surly female bar staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The Copley Square has managed the impossible - somehow creating an intimate, cozy yet completely sophisticated hotel in the middle of a busy city. The lobby is stunning and on a Sunday morning, was full of clientele who just seemed to be hanging out, drinking coffee and reading newspapers. The rooms are on the small side, but not uncomfortably so. The clerk at the front desk cheerfully allowed me to swap out for a room with a bathtub. There was a small SNAFU when I had to leave for a business meeting and the valet lost my keys (trust me, it happens) - the entire staff seemed to leap into action. I was given a ride to my meeting (almost 45 minutes away) and when I came out, I had a v-mail telling me that my keys had been located and that the VALET MANAGER WAS WAITING OUTSIDE FOR ME - WITH THE KEYS AND THE CAR. The Copley then comped my parking. I know some will read this and say "Well, that's what they SHOULD have done." Yes, but the point is: THEY ACTUALLY DID IT - which in this day and age of generic "not my problem" service, was extremely heartening.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The Copley Square Hotel is located in the heart of Boston! You are within walking distance of activities, great food, and local historical sites.

The beds in this hotel are heaven!! I had a Petite Room, which was small, but comfy and cozy! The daily "Wine Down", which was a wine tasting, was a delightful bonus. I would visit here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here during our vacation to Boston. It was the best price in this location. The hotel has been recently updated and looks fantastic. The staff was beyond accommodating. They were so nice and helpful; I really cannot say enough about how hospitable they were. The location is great, just a few minutes' walk to the subway. Our room was small, but not too small. Everything was clean and tastefully decorated. The bed was comfortable, and the AC worked great. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple