“Only one chance to make a First Impression!!!”

Copley Square Hotel
Ranked #26 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I arrived to the property early, well before check-in time and the staff were very accommodating. I had breakfast in the dinging room and remained during close in order to take advantage of using the free wi-fi for working. Again, the staff were more than accommodating and checked to make sure that I was ok. When a room was available for me, the manager brought a key over to me, which by the way only took a couple of hours.

While the room wasn't as large as I would've liked, the room was very clean and the decor was trendy. I loved the wall of full windows providing loads of natural daylight! That was a huge plus.

Considering that I usually stick with three particular brands, I only have two complaints about this property - well, specifically my room. 1) My room was not cleaned during the day. I returned from a long day out and had to request housekeeping, twice. Though, once they came everything was thoroughly cleaned and put in its proper place. 2) The bathroom had a foul odor in the morning and late nights which smelled of sewage. 3) Occasionally, I smelled smoke in the bathroom, which surprised me as this is a "smoke free: property. My guess is that my room was above some type of exhaust for the property.

Now, having stated that, I love being fair. So, I'd stay one additional time to see if these items were improved. For $350 per night, I'd expect stellar cleaning service in addition to the wonderful staff that greet you when you enter the property.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,003)

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We researched many hotels in Boston and found Copley Square Hotel. Other travelers indicated that their boutique rooms were quite small so we opted for a king. Upon arrival we indicated it was our first time in Boston and were given an upgrade to a southeast corner 'Edge King' room on an upper floor. The room was quite nice, very well appointed, spacious, clean and comfortable. It provided views from the room in three directions. The entire staff was outstanding and made for an outstanding hotel experience. Their "Intuitive" concierges provided us with daily recommendations for our site seeing excursions, as well as varied dinner options. Was never disappointed. It is a great location from which to explore the city and walking distance to many of the historical locales we wanted to experience. Every day of the week (including weekend days) the hotel has a "Wine Down" hour - a free wine happy hour with decent red and white wine to sample. We would return to the Copley if we find ourselves in Boston again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are sunny and spacious. Loud nightclub on the first floor but we had high upper floor r...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My wife and I, along with another couple stayed at the Copley Square Hotel this past March for St. Patrick’s Day weekend.

We had booked our (Boutique) rooms via Hotwire for $150 a night (including taxes) and although they were a bit small, they were clean and comfortable and given what the cost of hotels rooms can be in Boston, overall we were satisfied with our stay. The staff were friendly and efficient.

The hotel itself was quite nice, situated in the Back Bay area and served nicely as a base from which to explore Boston, with a Subway stop very close by too. Lots of good restaurants, pubs, and shopping close by it you prefer to stay in the area.

We would return to the Copley Square Hotel if we ever find ourselves back in Boston.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MusicManOntario
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Two nights in an Edge King room and it was all I had hoped it would be. The Back Bay area is definitely the right part of town for tourists to use as "base" for sightseeing. Aside from its stellar location, the Copley Square's biggest asset is definitely its people. Everyone is so helpful and friendly-- from the concierges to the housekeeping staff. (Yes, Anna, I'm talking about you!) "Accommodating" and "friendly" are the two words I would use to sum up the staff. A little disappointed that the wi-fi rarely worked in our room. We also had to learn how to get the fussy (big) elevator to take us to the 7th floor. (Push the 7 button five or six times until it lights up.) The old (smaller) elevator was stationary on the second floor every time we tried to use it for two days but worked when we went to check out. I couldn't give five stars because of the temperamental wi-fi and elevators, and the so-so bath tub. Despite these quirks, yes, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: We really liked the Edge King (windows on two sides) and got a great rate because we ordered early a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Earlmuck
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Copley Square Hotel in March. The location is awesome: right in Copley Square, which is central to so many other points of interest in Boston. The hotel itself, though, was just okay. The rooms was tiny, and the bathroom was about the size of a closet. There's also a nightclub on the first floor, although I think we were on a high enough floor that we couldn't hear/feel the blaring/pounding music that hits you when you walk into the lobby. All in all, an okay stay for the price we paid, but if you're looking for luxury, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are quieter, as they aren't as close to the nightclub on the first floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My daughter and I disembarked a cruise ship in Boston and wanted to see the city. Copley Square Hotel was perfect for us. The staff could not have been more courteous or helpful.
They were very patient with our tourist questions and gave us great suggestions. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are very comfortable. I loved the aroma of their soaps etc. We could not have had a better experience. Copley Square Hotel is also well located and easy access to two T stops for easy travel to places like the Aquarium. Do not miss the Public Library and Trinity Church just steps from the hotel. The Public Library has been called "The People's Palace" and it deserves the name. Library volunteers give architectural tours once a day at various times. Trinity Church ... just go see it. We went late afternoon and the stained glass was just glowing. We went the next morning for the tour. Have fun in Boston and Copley Square Hotel is a fantastic home.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JHC65
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just spent 4 nights at the Copley Square Hotel. The rooms were more European-sized than American, but I expected that, as part of being a historic building.

Copley Square surprised me by joining my personal list of "fabulous service worth coming back for". It equals or surpasses the outstanding service you look for in a 5-star hotel in Europe or the Far East. The front desk staff do concierge duty, and do it well -- you get attentive, smiling, gracious and cheerful help with anything and everything. When I left a special request with one desk clerk, each and every clerk I spoke with from then on knew exactly what I needed.

Over our stay, it became increasingly clear that the top-notch service culture at Copley Square runs deep and true. It extended to outside the normal "jobs" -- a doorman bringing out gallons of water to the driver of a car that overheated across the street (not a hotel guest); a housekeeper helping to bring luggage down the hall; a front desk clerk bringing out paper goods. No one was going to get tipped (or get their task list done any faster) by helping out. They just stepped forward and offered a hand.

Location, location, location: The location is perfect for seeing Boston -- three T line stations within two short blocks; smack in the middle of a fabulous upscale shopping district (indoor malls and outdoor boutiques + sidewalk cafés); just off Copley Square and the Public Library; and an easy stroll up the park-like Commonwealth Avenue boulevard, through the Public Garden ("Make Way for Ducklings"), the Boston Commons, State House, Beacon Hill, African American History walk, and the Esplanade. A slightly longer but equally easy extension of your stroll will bring you to the Old State House, Fenuiel Hall, Quincy Market (all on the Freedom Trail). In other words, you can tour all of Boston without renting a car (pain in the neck in this urban environment) -- walk and take the T. (The doorman will get you a taxi in a jiffy, should you want one.)

Oh, yes -- important for me as a business traveller -- free WiFi throughout the hotel, and a generously sized room safe, big enough for two laptops plus assorted other stuff (jewelry, phone, iPad, etc.), just one block from a major supermarket. The bed was extremely comfortable; no sagging at all, four nice down pillows and a down comforter.

Definitely my first choice for a future stay in Boston!

Helpful info for Shabbos/Sabbath observers: Desk staff were awesome about letting me into the room (electronic door key). Stairs are central, well-lit, easy to walk, and you won't trigger any alarms or lights. Decent-sized refrigerators available upon request (with no light!). Lobby bathrooms usable on Shabbos (with the exception of the sensor-triggered soap dispensers). Big room safe to lock up your valuables while you aren't using them. One block from a major supermarket.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business