“classy place, little tight, free wine hour, good stay in Boston”

Copley Square Hotel
Ranked #27 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, MA
“classy place, little tight, free wine hour, good stay in Boston”
Reviewed 7 August 2009

We also scored one of the birthday special rooms and stayed for two nights at $18 a night in a queen boutique room. Our room was pretty small but nice - now the bathroom was kind of ridiculously small and you couldn't quite close the door behind you unless you pressed yourself up against the toilet and then attempted to close it. We also requested a mini-fridge in our room but we never got it. The gym was good for a hotel gym with free weights and machines and even a ball! This is also a good location to stay at if you are a runner - you can easily run over to the esplanade and run along the river. The hotel staff were helpful and friendly.

Wine hour from 5-6 PM was a winner for me - the wine servers were very nice and told us about the wine which changes from night to night. We tried to check out the bar - minibar downstairs next to the hotel but it was super crowded and there was a strange leaky light fixture and so we just left right away.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank biograd13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
Reviewed 7 August 2009

The service was incomparable, from the valet when we pulled up to the desk clerk who phoned when our room was ready, we were made to feel like we were the only guests of any importance....designer coffee in the lobby....beds of dream linens...toiletries of spa quality.....knowledgeable about the city environs and happy to share their time and information.....hailing cabs, printing directions: Outstanding personable service. Clean, fresh and stylish decor; calmly, competently managed: A beautiful oasis of peace in the busiest section of the city. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank jelizell
Airdrie, Scotland
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My partner and I spent three nights at this hotel in July this year as part of a minor tour around New England and were absolutely delighted with it!

Our train from New York arrived 2 hours behind schedule so we were more than a little harassed on arrival. Luckily check-in took minutes thanks to the pleasant, chatty staff and we were immediately offered a complimentary glass of wine as we had arrived during the hotel's nightly 'wine tasting' - a lovely touch!

Our room was perfect. Beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and with the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in - even better than at home!

We didn't use either the bar or restaurant during our stay, but noted that the bar always seemed to be buzzing so I guess it's a popluar place for a drink.

The hotel is in a great location, just round the corner from a T station, however we tended to walk everywhere as there's just so much history in Boston it would be a shame to miss soaking up the atmosphere. However the T is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it, with everything seeming to stop at Park Street (on Boston Common) and Government Centre (which is near the harbour and Quincy Market).

Places we would reccommed visiting are Boston Common and the beautiful public garden with ponds and Swan Boats right next door; Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market; Boston Harbour (some really spectacular boats here!); Harvard Square and Cambridge and the New England Aquarium. Mainly, we followed the Freedom Trail as we were on foot - it's easy to find; a red line marked in the pavement starting at Boston Common - which takes you past many of the historic sites.

If you like guided tours, there are a number of hop-on-hop-off trolley bus tours. There's also the Duck Tour (on a genuine WW2 landing craft) which looked a lot of fun as it takes you a trip on land and river! We didn't try this but tickets can be bought at the Prudential Centre and the Science Museum. I'm told that it's wise to book in advance as it's a popular tour.

For dining out we tried Italian restaurant Pazzo's in Newbury Street, which is a couple streets away from the Copley Square hotel heading towards Boston Common- we found it in the 'places to go' magazine in our room. It's not the cheapest of restaurants however I thoroughly enjoyed the lobster ravioli. We also went to Solas, which is an Irish bar-restaurant on Boylston Street offering soups, sandwiches, burgers and stews at reasonable prices. Our favourite, however was Coogan's on Milk Street near Quincy Market. They dished up the best burger with all the trimmings of our trip along with excellent service!

If you're looking for a place to have a beer then I would highly recommend the Sevens bar on Charles Street, Beacon Hill. It's a no frills 'local' bar which serves only beer and wine (it appears there are different licenses for serving spirits) where we were made to feel exceptionally welcome by staff and customers alike and had three great nights here. We left as Red Sox fans, with a better understanding of baseball!!

A word of warning, however, when using taxis. On arrival we picked up a cab at South Station to the hotel which cost around $15 including tip. On our return journey, we were taken a rather 'scenic' route and were charged around $23 dollars. I did challenge the driver's route, however it's tricky when you're in a strange city and I guess some of the more unscrupulous rely on this. Obviously this isn't a phenomenon unique to Boston and didn't detract from our holiday but I would advise any fellow travellers to try and pick the route the driver takes if you can get your hands on a map before arrival.

However, we loved Boston and would return again, and stay at the Copley Square without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Champersgirl
Miami
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I stayed at the Copley Square hotel from Jul 29 to Aug 2 for a personal trip. I travel to Boston semi-regularly and this is the first time i stayed there because my usual hotel is booked solid.

The reception and staff is very nice and accommodating. I called ahead before my arrival for a mini-fridge in the room and it was delivered after i checked in. They also helped me make dinner reservations. I do wish they can send the confirmation to me on the phone while i am out in the city not until i come back to the hotel later that night, but that is not a lapse on their part but mine for not asking it to be done.

The room - i got a queen size boutique room - is small, charming and well equipped. My room has no view, but that's OK, since i am going to be be out of the room most of the time. The bed is very comfortable and i slept well throughout my trip.

However, not everything is perfect. One day i woke up late and left the room in the afternoon with the "please clean the room" sign on the door. When i got back to the room that night the sign is still on the door and my room is still completely uncleaned. The bed wasn't made, the towels weren't replaced and the room looks like how i left it hours ago. To the front desk's credit, once i have called to tell them about the problem the housekeeping staff showed up within minutes and cleaned the room in record time. The front desk staff told me they would inform the manager about that lapse but i never got to have a word with him. I would imagine such oversight is uncommon and I would usually prefer to have the manager speak to me about it the next day.

Another useful note about the hotel for other travelers is that the hotel bar is a popular place and it can get rather loud. I stayed on a higher floor and never had a problem, but i would imagine guest who appreciates quietness would prefer to do the same.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Copley_Square_Hotel, General Manager at Copley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2009
Dear BostonboyMiami,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience. While it seems as though you enjoyed your visit overall, I can certainly understand the frustration in not getting your room serviced one day.

It is always our intention to provide the highest level of comfort to our guests and I sincerely apologize to you that we were unable to do so. If you have the opportunity to e-mail me (john.maibach@copleysquarehotel.com) your name, room number and date that this occured, we would like to follow up internally to ensure this type of situation does not reoccur. Your critique of our offering is very much appreciated as it gives us an opportunity to review our service delivery and for that, we thank you!

I look forward to hearing from you and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future.

John Maibach
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I took my college-bound niece there for a weekend getaway. I was impressed by the knowledgeable and friendly staff. They have complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate available all day. They also have a complimentary happy hour from 5-6 pm, but we never were around to take advantage. Complimentary wi-fi internet service that came in handy. It's in a great location near the T green/orange/silver lines and I would definitely go back and stay there.

We had a problem with noise outside the hotel bar our first night and the next day they kindly moved us to another room. They left a nice card apologizing and a "treat". That was a nice surprise. Very professional staff and driven to please guests.

Service and room decor is great. Hotel is very clean and nice beds. Bathrooms are a little small - we didn't have a tub in either room. Flat screen TVs that swivel. Elevator is on the small side, but was not a problem - felt like we were in Europe. Check in/out was easy and quick.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank nycworldtravelgal
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 1 August 2009

My husband and daughter (10) and I just stayed at the Copley Square Hotel in Boston. We found the hotel to be just wonderful. It is very stylish and understated. The bedding was luxurious, the decorations hip and classy (and not too hotelish) and the bathroom spotless and attractive. The room was small, but was still comfortable for the three of us in our 4 day stay. The location is unbelievable...steps from the T (subway), Newberry Street, the grand Public LIbrary, buildings from which to view the city. From the hotel we could walk the whole Freedom Trail and into the downtown area easily. It was quiet: we found out at the end of our stay that we were near a family with a newborn baby, and it never once disturbed us. The staff was very professional, helpful, and speedy. I would go there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Allamuchy, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 July 2009

We stayed 2 nights at the Copley Square Hotel and certainly enjoyed the hospitality, informed staff, and convenience of the hotel. It has the feel of a well-run European city hotel. Since the hotel has been there over 100 years, it is full of short hallways, different corners and interesting interior features.

The hotel was apparently renovated in the past couple of years and is truly up-to-date. There is a free wine tasting every evening from 5-6 PM. The room was comfortable and the amenities were top-shelf in terms of quality.

The hotel has a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our visit in Boston precluded having dinner there. There is also a Martini Bar situated in the hotel...looks rather upscale in terms of decor and clientele.

We enjoyed the convenience. The hotel is near the Green Line, and in easy walking distance to the start of the Freedom Mile at Boston Common. It proved to be an excellent place to relax after a night at Fenway, as well as after a full day walking the entire Freedom Mile.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple