“Less then expected for more money then it should be”

Copley Square Hotel
Ranked #27 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Less then expected for more money then it should be”
Reviewed 3 June 2010

The lingering memory I will have of this hotel stay is the weird chemical smell in the room. As soon as I got there I opened the window to air it out and was reluctant to close it again.

I had expected from other reviews on this site that it would be pretty decent, but it was underwhelming in all aspects aside from it's location. I really like a nice hotel room and this was not one I would rank. The rooms are small (and smell weird), the lobby is really dimly lit which I think they thought was cool, and it's not exactly cheap.

On the other hand, the bed is comfortable, it's clean and the hotel is centrally located. If you don't mind a hotel without any personality, this is your place.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
new york city
Reviewed 20 May 2010

I had a choice between the Copley Square Hotel and the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel. I was looking for a hotel with a very deluxe feel and the Copley Square Hotel, which bills itself as a deluxe boutique hotel, seemed to fill the bill. Because I was traveling with another colleague who had a reservation at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel, I was able to compare rooms. Both hotel rooms cost approximately the same. However, my colleague did get at upgrade at the Fairmont so keep that in mind.

My room at the Copley Square Hotel was a deluxe premium king so it was a very good room, only surpassed I believe by suites and corner deluxe premium kings. The room was newly decorated since the hotel has had a recent refurbishing. The colors were a little dark -- muted browns and greys. It was fairly spacious but not nearly as large as my colleague's room at the Fairmont, which was almost double the size. In addition, the bathroom was tiny -- so small that if you stood in it, you could only turn around -- you couldn't take one step in it. When I first got there, I was stymied by the lights in the bathroom. I couldn't figure out where they were. I even felt along the walls thinking they might blend into the wallpaper. I finally found them hidden under the towels. Incidentally, my partner, who checked in after me, had the exact same experience and had to call down to the front desk for help. So it wasn't just me. This bathroom, done in very conventional tile, was particularly annoying compared to the Fairmont's which was in marble and nearly 3 times bigger.
Noise was a problem in this hotel. The hotel prides itself on being chic and trendy and has a bar to go with it. The problem is that when the bar closes at 2 am, the crowd gathers outside on the street and keeps you up. The soundprroofing in the windows seems non-existent. The hotel cannot both have its cake and eat it. It is clearly profiting greatly from its lively bar scene but this does cause a noise problem which it hasn't dealt with.
Room service was not existent during the day and only started at 5 pm, aside from breakfast. My meetings actually allowed me some in room time in the middle of the day. I would have liked room service so I could work without having to go out to a restaurant. This was very annoying. In addition, room service closed at 11 pm. In a hotel that places itself in the deluxe category, not having room service in the middle of the day is almost unheard of.
Finally, some of the front desk people were clearly more used to serving as chic and trendy ornaments than well-trained in taking care of clients' needs.
Next time I visit Boston, I'm going to stay at the brand-new Mandarin Oriental down the street.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank luxuryhoteljunkie
Fullerton, CA
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Stayed with the family for the Boston Marathon. The location to the finish is awesome. The staff was prepared for race participants. I had a single room with a pull out. The king size bed was great, but the pull out not so much. I would stay again, but make a better room selection for the family.

1 Thank Zymurgyst
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Just back from a 4 night stay in the Copely Square Hotel in Boston. Got a great deal on easyclicktravel which swyaed us to make the booking. When we arrived we were offered a room upgrade for $10 a night so of course took that! The room was spacious, newly decorated, very clean, good storage for luggage so werent tripping over it in the room and the beads were extremely comfortable. The hotel has free wi-fi and the room had an ipod station which was very handy. The hotel location is brilliant. We were within walking distance to the pubs and restaurants and a quick tube ride from Faniual Hall and Quincey Market.

I would definatley stay in this hotel again if I am lucky enough to go back to Boston.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 11 May 2010

The hotel has a great location. Walking distance to shopping/restaurants. Easy access to the T and Tour stops. Rooms were nice. Beds were very comfortable. Not sure if it was the Sam Adams but I slept great every night. Bathrooms a little small and no mini-bar in rooms, but the "Mini-Bar" lounge downstairs was open late for nightcaps.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Copley Square Hotel recently and was immediately taken by the warm, cozy lobby area. It felt more like a peaceful, relaxing and ultra modern lounge than a hotel lobby. The rooms were beautifully decorated, inviting and comfortable. The staff and service were top notch too. As a business traveler, this boutique hotel was a welcome relief to the standard chain hotels. If you're traveling to Boston, try the Copley, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 May 2010

My room had plenty of room. The bedroom was well appointed and quiet and I had no problem with the size of the bathroom. The location is perfect and Copley Square has become my new fav in Boston.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business