“Almost There”

Ranked #11 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Almost There”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Eliot Hotel is a luxury boutique hotel. No doubt about it.

But something is missing in the service department.

The physical structure of the place is warm and inviting. My first reaction to seeing our room was that heaven must have had a sale on fabrics. From the linens to the drapes to the towels, there are plush fabrics everywhere. As result, the hotel is warm and comfortable and rather quiet given its location.

And, for a hotel stay in the dead of a Boston winter, there probably is not a warmer or warmer feeling hotel in town.

However, the warmth ends with the structure of the hotel. The front desk service is tops. However, the bar staff, cleaning crews, and restaurant staff just seem mildly indifferent. It's as though the hotel has "done enough" to compete as a luxury hotel and the staff lacks the incentive to do more.

And for the prices commanded by the Eliot (basic rooms starting at $350-450/night), the hotel should reflect a stronger commitment to serving its customers.

* Requests for additional pillows for the room required a couple of calls to the front desk (I offered to go down to the front desk myself but was assured the staff would handle it), and they were delivered an hour later.

* When we visited the bar (each evening over a 4-night stay), the bar staff were, well, just tepid. Simply not engaged with us or any other customer that entered the bar. I've worked in the hospitality/food service industry for years. Yes, when staff is busy, no one should expect endless, buoyant conversation. But we did not see the bar staff doing much of anything. Perhaps there is a management issue that translates into a lack of morale with the staff. Just a guess.

Yes, the Eliot is a contender for greatness. The look, feel, location, and pricing of the hotel put the Eliot in top tier range. And I am rooting for the Eliot to succeed! It has almost everything it needs to be one of the finest hotels. But the service needs to improve. A good hotel stay is more than bricks, motor, and, in this case, fabric. A worthwhile customer experience in a hotel requires consistent, friendly service. The current lack of good customer service is what makes the Eliot a good, not great, hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ridethestallion
jrmp, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
I very much appreciate the time you have offered to share your thoughtful review of your Eliot Hotel experience. It is gratifying to know the hotel's accommodations and decor met with approval and that overall, you appraise the Eliot Hotel so highly. It is a reflection of the effort dedication and committment our staff makes at trying to create a truly exceptional guest experience. This foremost includes service. Our mission is to make guest service a priority. For that reason, when we have not succeeded, we take seriously the challenge to identify problems and engage resources to ensure service is preeminant. Delayed service requests are certainly inexcusable, and indifference from the bar staff is not comensurate with the hotel's service philosophy. Your insights about morale are actually quite insightful. A previous reviewer was kind enough to take the time as well to inform us of these disparities. I would like you and the Trip Advisor readership to know that we are on top of ensuring service is stellar and thank you again for your, overall, high assessment of our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

This was my second stay at the Eliot. I love the location and the suites contain a bedroom and a sitting room. The bathroom is nice and I appreciated having a nice big shower. Although there are many different areas in the room, the room appears a bit cramped and the layout for power sockets could be improved.

The staff is a bit of a mixed bag. Some are very friendly and go out of the way to help you and others look at you as if you have asked them an incident question. I had breakfast in the Clio once and the waitress really struggled to take the order and fulfil them. Overall service is variable.

I would not suggest buying the internet package of the hotel which I did. I paid for two days but could not access the internet through the AT&T connection. Instead I used a free Boston-based service. This was however slow. Charing $10 for internet that does not work is not really impressive.

I would stay there again due to the service and the overall boutique style of the hotel. I also like the fact that it is family-owned. However the hotel could ensure a consistent service of their staff and should offer a fast and free internet connection in rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
I am delighted this repeat guest will be returning to the Eliot Hotel the next time she travels to Boston. As a member of the "Eliot family of guests," her insights are particularly valuable. As service is of paramount importance to our mission, I want to assure this guest and the Trip Advisor readership that we have already looked into and are addressing the source of the perceived inconsistencies in service. In addition, I am happy to confirm that there are now additional options for wifi connectivity.
Afton, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed one night at the Eliot with my 19-year old son for a college visit. We had a double double suite that was a reasonable size for a boutique hotel in Boston (which means it was a bit small). The decorating is quite lovely if you are into VERY traditional Americana. Unfortunately, the television and electronics are about the same vintage - a bit disappointing after spending a day traveling. The valet parking was painless. The restaurant, on the other hand, was a big mistake. We ate there for breakfast - painfully slow service, mediocre food, and dreadfully high prices. I did complain about the service at the front desk upon departure. Got a simple, "Thank you," but nothing else. All in all it is a nice place, but for the money and the reputation it is an average experience. I am heading back to Boston is a few weeks and will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RSDCArch
jrmp, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
It is regrettable that we were unable to impress this guest more to be able to welcome him back for a future visit. Just for clarification to the Trip Advisor readership, our standard one-bedroom suites are actually quite spacious, offering approximately 250 sf of space. The bedroom is connected by French doors that open onto a full sized living room. The contemporary European atmosphere of our suites was created by Peter Niemitz, nationally renowned designer of hotels and restaurants. Bathed in creamy swaths of linen toiles or rich brown silks with azure blue accents, the suites and rooms provide a luxurious setting for modern men and women who prize personal comfort, quiet elegance and attention to detail. Noted also for its business friendly technology and amenities, our hotel has actually been voted among the top business hotels in the world by a very well known publication. The hotel has outfitted each suite with two LCD flat screen televisions as well as the latest in ICE technology, an inovative touch screen in the room from which all hotel services can be accessed from the comfort of one's finger tips. I hope after experiencing other properties, this guest will reconsider the value of staying at the Eliot Hotel. We would certainly enjoy welcoming him back!
FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

My husband and I traveled with our teenage son and stayed in room 304 (a corner king suite). The room was really perfect for our needs. The separate sitting area with sofa bed and the ability to close doors to the king bed area gave all us privacy. The room was clean and tidy. We had no problems with outlets as others have written.
Our bathroom had a shower only which was fine for us. The bathroom is kind of a one person at a time place but easily forgivable given the spaciousness of the suite in general. I did have to put a couple of towels on the floor because of water leaking out the glass shower door.
The corner room had windows facing the streets but traffic noise wasn't really noticeable. The T stop was a few minutes walk (Hynes Convention Center). Lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel provided a marked walking/running trail around the area with distances noted.
We did not eat at the hotel's restaurants. We also did not have a car. All staff members were courteous and appropriately attentive.
I would really have liked to have had a small coffee maker. Thankfully there was a Starbucks a short walk away.
We only stayed for one night and wished it could have been longer. We will definitely book another stay here on our next visit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Just returned from my 4th stay at the Eliot. The hotel itself is beautiful as always, the location is amazing, but this time around I felt the customer service left something to be desired. Check-in was wonderful, and then it went downhill from there. We couldn't find the breakfast menu in the room, so we called down to the desk and they said someone would be right up with it. No one ever came. And then later on I called to ask if there was an ice machine, and the person said no but they would bring up a bucket of ice for us. And they never did. Our room service breakfast came on time, but was really subpar. Our bread basket came without butter or cream cheese. Our coffee came without milk or cream.

We also had issues at the Eliot's restaurant Clio. We stopped there after dinner to have drinks at the bar. Both bartenders made us feel very unwelcome. I don't know why! It was really unfortunate. One barely acknowledged us and the other engaged us in a bizarre conversation. We didn't stay long.

I have always loved the Eliot in the past, and frequently recommend it to people, so these service issues were disappointing to me. My sister and I were there to celebrate a special event so we had gone all out on a 2-bedroom suite, ordered an expensive bottle of champagne, etc and then the hotel (and restaurant) didn't really meet my expectations. It's still beautiful and the location can't be beat, but I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank travel141
I am terribly sorry for this guest's disappointment, especially because she is such a loyal patron and admirer of our hotel. I assure the Trip Advisor readership and this guest that the Eliot Hotel remains committed to providing superlative service and accommodations. While we were obviously not entirely successful for this guest's last visit, I sincerely hope she will consider providing us with another opportunity to return to the Eliot Hotel. I am confident that our dedication will allow her, as well as all other prospective guests, to realize the type of experience they would expect of our hotel.
Boylston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

The pros are many: the Eliot is right in Back Bay with easy access to Newbury & Boylston St, less than 2 blocks from Hynes Convention Center, and right before the on-ramp to the Masspike West. The room we stayed in (a premier suite king) was spacious and comfortable. The staff were all very attentive and polite. Even the free shoe shine was wonderful: you hang your shoes on the doorknob in a bag they provide before you go to bed and you wake up to find your shoes looking better than they have in years. My wife and I did the "Winter in the City" deal which provided free parking (a must in the Back Bay area of Boston) and a free breakfast in Clio. I'd highly recommend a breakfast package because for the cost of tax and tip, we had a complimentary $20 per person buffet with fresh fruit and some very delicious baked goods (if you want bacon or eggs and order a la carte, say goodbye to your wallet). The only cons are that the dresser was pretty small and probably could not accomodate 2 people if we stayed for several nights. Also, the shower is bizarre with a partition which only covers half the shower, so you feel like at any minute you'll flood the bathroom. I can't understand why they wouldn't have some kind of sliding door, if only to keep you from getting cold in the shower. But these are small items. Overall the Eliot is a really great hotel. You'll pay $300+ per night because of where you are in Boston, but you will get your money's worth.

Room Tip: My tip is for valet parking. If you appraoch the hotel via Commonwealth Ave rather than Massachuset...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed at the Eliot Hotel for our recent Wedding Anniversary and overall it was a great choice for us. The location can't be beat (walking distance from Newbury Street, public transport and anything else you might want) and the Hotel itself is consistently and deservedly voted to be Boston's best.

We opted for the 'Touch of Paris' package which includes a large King Suite, dinner at their French restaurant - Clio - and buffet breakfast as well. The price is very competitive (only a small increase from what you would pay for just the room alone) so it is a very good deal. We loved loved loved the dinner at Clio... we've eaten at many of Boston's "best" restaurants and Clio is by far the best dining experience we've had in Boston ever. Every course was delicious and well presented and the service was amazing. This coupled with the beautiful Parisian furnishing of the room was worth what we paid and we would unequivocally recommend this hotel and package to anyone we talk to.

On the flip side there were a couple of (admittedly small) things that could have improved our stay and would have been the difference between a 4 and a 5 star review here. The ROOM amenities. Although they advertize that the rooms associated with this package have a bath tub, ours didn't (the fine print does say actual room may vary slightly) but when the bold print says "bath tub,' one would assume a tub will be in the bathroom, instead of just a small shower and sink. Also as we got ready to go out for dinner we noticed more and more things missing from the room... firstly there was no Iron and they had to bring one up... then we realized the shaving kit didn't have everything you need to shave... then we had to call front desk again because the hair dryer is very low quality and kept cutting out... three trips up from the (very helpful) front desk staff could all have been avoided if the room was fully stocked with high quality appliances and amenities as you would expect from a hotel of this calibre.

The other negative was the BREAKFAST. The package value is really in the room and the dinner... and the buffet breakfast at this hotel is really an afterthought. Bagels, Cream Cheese, Plain Yoghurt, Cereal and some average fruit constituted the $40+ buffet breakfast. Luckily we weren't too hungry and it was included in our cost, but it really isn't what you would expect from as hotel like this in the breakfast department.

More of this review has come off as negative than i intended and i could probably write much more about how professional and helpful the staff were, how clean the room was and how beautiful the inside of the hotel is... but all of that goes without saying. It's a very classy establishment and it was almost the nicest hotel experience we've had in a major US city... almost. Hopefully management realizes just how close they are to giving people the perfect city escape and makes a couple of very minor adjustments to make it truly special.

Room Tip: Having a suite with a separate sitting room was definitely worth it... nice furnishings and comforta...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AbsolutelyNoBorders
I wish to thank this reviewer for his valuable insights which will assist us in our continual efforts to improve. Our entire staff is delighted that you chose our hotel and restaurant to celebrate your wedding anniversary and we are gratified that, overall, you had such an exceptionally enjoyable experience.