“Perfect Christmas”

Ranked #9 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Perfect Christmas”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My family had a wonderful stay at The Eliot Hotel over Christmas. The hotel was perfectly located in a lovely area. Our suite which had two bedrooms and a comfortable lounge area
was spacious and almost perfect for a Christmas holiday. What would have made it perfect would have been a coffee machine as most coffee shops were closed on Christmas day.
The little bags of jelly beans were a lovely touch but bottles of water would have been very welcome after a transatlantic flight and I would have expected complimentary water in a hotel of this calibre particularly a hotel as expensive as The Eliot.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Scotfrannie
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2013
I am delighted the Eliot Hotel was part of a perfect Christmas for this guest and that our spacious suites provided comfort and convenience for the entire family. Although there are no coffee makers in our suites, we do offer 24 hour tea and coffee service via room service. Lastly, we will certainly consider the idea of complimentary water throughout the year. We actually do provide complimentary water during the warmer months, April through September, but this guest's suggestion makes a lot of sense and I am sure it is something other guests would appreciate as well. I would also like to take this opportunity to inform the Tripadvisor readership that because of our committment to personalized service, our staff is always ready to assist guests with any of their requests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Albany, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We just got back from an anniversary weekend in Boston. We were going to try the Mandarin Oriental, but decided at the last minute to return to the Eliot. We've stayed there before and have always been happy.

The rooms look just like the picture. You are close to things Boylston and Newbury, and the T is just around the corner.

You do have to walk through the sushi bar to get to the restaurant for breakfast, and you do get a fishy smell there, but it does not carry into the restaurant. A bit unexpected but not worth paying more for a fancy lobby at a big box hotel . The other quirky thing we experienced was trying to figure out the internet connection.

I will say they have to upgrade their reservation module. I booked the room and never got a confirmation email. I called the next day and they confirmed it and sent one manually, but we were concerned. Surprised they aren't members of SLH.

All in all, it is hard to find a nicer room at this price and location. We'll stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigcat13203
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
I wish to extend congratulations to these guests on their anniversary. It is, indeed, an honor that we were chosen to be part of such a significant and memorable occasion, and we are delighted that they are part of our "family" of repeat guests. With reference to our reservations module, we have reviewed all systems for generating confirmations and are satisfied with their operational integrity. Lastly, with respect to "SLH," the Eliot Hotel currently chooses to participate with World Hotels, a collection of distinctive properties that closely reflect the unique characteristics of their locations.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 December 2012

This is a small hotel with character in a quiet edge of downtown Boston. The room was clean and comfortable. This is definitely not a cookie cutter property as reflected in the odd size/shape of the bathroom that demonstrated the building age and the multiple renovations that made it all fit into modern room standards. The desk staff was quite friendly, but didn't seem particularly experienced. Expect some up/down stairs to get from street to front desk, so this is not an easyi entry for handicapped. Breakfast is in the Japanese restaurant, so expect the faint smell of fish in the morning. It was disappointing that the room service staff said they couldn't deliver dinner because of a private event in the restaurant. They did, however, call back and dinner did arrive, although it took quite some time. Having said all this, it was a pleasant two night stay and a break from the usual.

Room Tip: Entry from the street requires some ups and downs before reaching the desk and elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelteam69
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2012
I wish to thank this guest for taking the time to share his pleasant experience of staying at the Eliot Hotel and am delighted he found our independent property to be distinctive and friendly.
I would like to clarify, however, that the hotel serves breakfast in our contemporary French restaurant Clio, not in our Japanese restaurant Uni. The large windows showcasing the cityscape of our neighborhood along with the warm and clean contemporary design of our restaurant, Clio, provide an inviting atmosphere with which to begin your day. It is perplexing, however, that room service indicated dinner could not be delivered because of a private event. Regardless of any event, room service is most definitely available 24 hours daily. I extend best wishes for the New Year and look forward to the possibility of having this guest return to our hotel the next time he visits Boston.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 December 2012

As a very seasoned traveler, both for business and pleasure, I am very disappointed by my recent experience with the management of the Eliot. My wife and I had a reservation to stay at the Eliot while visiting our daughter at her college in Boston in October. I was eventually able to use our Frequent Traveler points with another hotel company to book a free room in town. I immediately called the Eliot, a month before our expected stay, and they said it was no problem canceling our reservation. I did not write down the cancelation number nor do I remember if I was even given one. I have done this numerous times and never had an issue. A month or so later I received a bill for one night of my stay as a "no show" fee. After several conversations with the hotel, I was basically told that they could do nothing without proof of the cancelation. I consider this to be a very poor business practice and certainly will give this hotel none of my business in the future.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jayw45
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
I wish to thank this previously reserved guest for taking the time to share his experience regarding the “no show” fee he was assessed. Clearly no one wants to be charged a “no-show” fee, and there are times when guests may forget to cancel or when there may be an error on the hotel’s part. The hotel is always mindful of those situations and we try hard to work with guests to come to some equitable resolution. We are, after all, in the hospitality business and are driven to provide satisfaction to our valued guests by being as accommodating and understanding as possible.

Email confirmations are generated for cancelled reservations, and in the rare case when there is no contact email, our reservationists are all trained to inquire if the guest would like a confirmation or at least the cancellation number. These confirmations of cancellation benefit both the guest and the hotel as they ensure accuracy and provide the guest with proof of cancellation.

The Eliot Hotel recognizes that events occur and guests’ plans may change. Consequently, the hotel offers an extremely liberal cancellation policy, allowing guests to cancel as late as 12:00pm on the arrival date, even during the busiest periods such as in October this guest refers to when the hotel was fully committed. Although the hotel has the onus of performing accurately, the guest also bears responsibility to ensure their wishes have been carried out correctly. Sending cancellation confirmations, therefore, is actually a very good business practice that is both fair and adopted by virtually all hotels. I regret we were not able to meet this guest’s request for a refund, but hope he will consider being our guest in the future. We would certainly do everything in our power to help him realize a perfect stay.
Boston
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We decided to play tourists in our own city and spend two nights at the Eliot in August. The hotel is conviently located at the corner of Comm Ave and Mass Ave and very accessible from the MBTA. Check in was quick and easy with a European staff. The hotel did remind me of something I have seen in Paris which was nice for our escape. It had an older elevator (albeit small). Upon check-in we were given two cold bottles of water. On arrival to the room, were some tasty cookies. We had a one bedroom suite which was gorgeous.The king sized bed was extremely comfortable with large and comfy pillows. Each room had its own flat screen tv and the rooms were separated by French doors. We also had a little butler pantry with a wetbar (and expensive mini-bar). The bathroom seemed updated with good water pressure. The room had good black out curtains which blocked out that early morning Eastern sun. My only complaint was the street noise. Massachusetts Ave is very noisy and starts up early in the morning. Unfortunately, our room looked over this road and being a light sleeper, I was awakened by the noise. Besides that, I have no complaints. The room was comfortable, the staff friendly, and the location very convienent to Newbury and Boylston Streets as well as the Common and Public Gardens. Boston is a walkable city and one day that is just what we did. We also went to a concert at nearby Fenway Park which was in walking distance. We did not eat at the restaurants at the hotel. (We liked the menu of the sushi restaurant but it was a little pricey for us and we had some restaurants we wanted to check out)At times, this hotel can be expensive but we received a satisfying rate and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can get a room that overlooks Commonwealth Avenue, it won't be as noisy.
Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank jneil
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I spent two nights traveling with my daughter to Boston. Our suite was very comfortable and clean and felt luxurious. The restaurant is open late and we were able to grab a meal at 1:30am - it is Korean soups and Japanese sushi. Room service was pretty high end. It was not right in the middle of things, but it was convenient enough. I really like the feel of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank solofilm
connecticut
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in October. From the personal service, to the location, to the elegant rooms, this hotel is fantastic. It is a true boutique hotel experience that should satisfy even the most discriminating guest. The Clio restaurant inside is one I highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business