“Most charming place in all of Boston”
Review of Eliot Hotel

Eliot Hotel
Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I am a frequent traveler and have been to Boston over a dozen times and have stayed at most of the top hotels. And while I have never had a bad stay at any of them, the Eliot is by far the most charming hotel I have stayed in. Excellent location, wonderful staff, heavenly comfortable beds but my favorite (which is why I have returned three times) is the décor!
The rooms are exquisitely decorated with romantic toile cornice beds, beautiful and comfortable furniture, wonderful 'homey' details like designer blankets and pillows on the beds and chairs, crystal lamps with fringed shades, blown glass vases and bowls and a classic marble bathroom. I feel as if I am not in a hotel room but rather a classic brownstone home. (I read a managers comments and it said they are changing the décor..NOOOOOO, it is my favorite!)
The service has been wonderful. The staff has been attentive and extremely helpful with restaurant suggestions and reservations. I love the little details like the fresh cookies and extra special touches.
Please don't change a thing!!!!!

Room Tip: We love the corner suites.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ldcorrado
Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Location was very close to activities. Amenities were not as good as lower priced hotels. Many
Hotels in this price range would have complimentary flowers or fruit in your
room. There was not a coffee pot. The bathroom was small. Beds very
comfortable. Clio restaurant excellent with excellent service.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelsister07
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The suites at the Eliot are very comfortable, traditional and offer great value. The room service menu was eclectic and more interesting than the usual room service offerings. Service is good, only room for improvement is in the valet parking.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Rocco O
Reviewed 25 January 2013

My husband & I stayed at this hotel in December 2013 after a night out with friends. It has a beautiful lobby, clean and elegant with a professional staff that made me feel welcome. I thought it was a great value. It is a short walk for shopping on Newbury and Boylston Street. It was a easy walked to Fenway Park. I have stayed at a number of hotels in Boston. I think this is the best value for the experience.

Room Tip: I had a corner room with a separate living room and bedroom.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathleen P
Reviewed 23 January 2013

First let me start by saying we travel a lot and have seen quite a few hotel rooms. The room size and layout is a great value. Well decorated and very clean. Overall a good experience. Now for the nitty gritty... We stayed over NYE and it was hard regulating the room temp. We had to turn the heat off completely because it was far too warm to sleep. Even then, the temp was never great. The temperature and bed was probably the worst part of our stay. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. We barely slept the two nights we were there. The bathroom, although adequate and aesthetically pleasing, was not as functional as we like when traveling. The only electrical outlet was by the toilet and sink even though there was a nice mirrored vanity area, it made it tough to use a hair dryer anywhere other than in the front entry using the coat closet door mirror. The shower was one that only has a half glass wall and no door making it chilly even while showering. No fan in bathroom which was also an issue when trying to get rid of steam etc.
our rate included continental breakfast in Clio, which was very good, but the waitstaff was not very easy to communicate with.
For reference we booked a king suite.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Venezia594
Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night after going to a wedding. Wife picked the hotel and since she has a nose for this stuff I didn't question. I liked the feel of the hotel as soon as I entered the lobby as it has a lot of character. It was my wife's birthday and they were kind enough to upgrade us to a corner suite. Our room was huge! The bed was firm and very comfortable and the hotel is close to restaurants and the train stops. We did not need a car. For a weekend in Boston this hotel met our needs and we definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012
6  Thank Waterman22
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Our recent stay at the Eliot was a huge disappointment. We planned a short trip to Boston, and the Eliot came highly recommended. While the staff was pleasant, the hotel is tired and in need of a face-lift. Our bedroom was so dark, I asked for an extra light. Housekeeping did a poor job- we went out for the day and when we returned, our pillows were just as we had left them- tossed on the chairs of the sitting room- the beds were lumpy and not neatly made.When I asked the evening housekeeper about it, she told us she was just there to turn down the beds, and that it was the morning housekeeping staff's problem, not hers. The hallways and staircases were not clean with dust on the edges of the stairs. The restaurant's restroom smelled of urine. At Clio, we both ordered the truffle risotto special. The entrees were so salty we returned them. After we complained, our waitress sent over an officious captain who all but suggested we didn't know what truffles should taste like! We assured him we did, and that the ones they brought us were wildly oversalted and impossible to eat. We will certainly not return, and I would advise travelers to avoid this overpriced, poor place.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nyctraveler12380
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

It is regrettable this guest’s experience was fraught with disappointment. This experience is clearly the antithesis of what we strive so hard to provide, impeccable accommodations and unsurpassed service. Although the hotel’s accommodations are continually upgraded and maintained, I am excited to inform all potential guests that as of January of this year, all of the rooms in the hotel will be newly decorated, creating a new modernity featuring crisp clear lines, flatter surfaces and warm, relaxing colors, resulting in a product that would be pleasing to even the most discerning guests.

I would like to apologize to this guest for the extremely callous and unprofessional response of the housekeeper. I wish to assure all prospective guests that this is contrary to our standards and is being investigated with the utmost priority. Our entire staff has been groomed to be proactive and highly attentive to all our guest’s needs, something we take great pride in, and certainly not anything we wish to jeopardize. I am grateful this has been brought to our attention.

Lastly, our restaurant Clio’s manager who was the “captain” this guest refers to recalls the event. As a restaurant of Clio’s caliber and with national reputation, the entire staff is always concerned whenever a patron is dissatisfied. The experienced and knowledgeable manager did not intend to challenge the guest’s assessment, but simply tried to obtain more information to determine weather there was a genuine flaw or simply a matter of subjectivity.

Although striving for perfection is our mission, problems can, nevertheless, arise, in which case it is usually best to make one’s concerns known soon as soon as possible; this way, the hotel has an opportunity to address the problem and find the best resolution to ensure guest satisfaction. I invite this guest to contact me directly the next time he or she visits Boston. If so we will ensure a stay that is commensurate with both of our expectations.