“Love the Eliot!”
Review of Eliot Hotel

Eliot Hotel
Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Old world charm. Beautiful, chic rooms. Large suites (perhaps one of the best values per square foot in Boston). Fantastic neighborhood. My family stayed at the Eliot during my wedding weekend. I reserved a block of rooms & worked with the sales staff to make sure everything was perfect for my guests...and it was! Several of my relatives never even knew the Eliot existed. And now they won't stay anywhere else when visiting Boston. The gold standard for "boutique" hotels. My younger family members couldn't get over the fact that there were actual keys for the rooms. Thanks for the wonderful service!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank TerriMaine

Reviewed 10 February 2013

The bathroom in our room at the Eliot Hotel was the size of a closet. Miniature. Small. Itty-bitty. Microscopic. Wee. Doll-sized. Teeny-weeny. Lilliputian. Dinky-winky. Miniscule. Teentsy. The size of My Dearest’s . . . . . Enough said. I make my point.

Not only was the bathroom petite, it was ill equipped. Only one sink, so I had to wait while My Dearest took his sweet time shaving. Nowhere near enough counter and shelf space for my product and bathroom gear. I was forced to set up a chair outside the bathroom door for my product and rotate it into the bathroom as needed. No magnified mirror to help me make my face up properly. No shower cap. No bathtub. A tiny shower stall that kept bumping my limbs. The water volume in the shower was pre-set by some Boston plumber at a modest, environmentally correct flow. People!! For the price you charged me I should be able to enjoy a pounding Niagara Falls shower whenever I want one!

The toilet deserves a very special mention indeed. Not only was it an old thunderbox that squirted the floor when I flushed it (Yuummmmeeeee), but it also blocked the entrance to the mini bathroom. Yes, literally. In order to use the sink or shower, I had to step around or cartwheel over Mr. Thunderbox. The toilet seat was thin plastic that stuck to me. To complete our bathroom experience: non-facial quality toilet paper. And housekeeping forgot to resupply the TP one day so we ran out of it! (More Yuummmmmmeeeee)

The shampoo and other bathroom product supplied by the Eliot was a brand I had never seen before: Pure by Gloss. While the shiny little Pure by Gloss plastic bottles announced grandly that this goop is formulated in Switzerland, I determined with a little internet research that it is manufactured in China and distributed by a company called Erwyn Products of Morganville, New Jersey, which claims to be the premier supplier to the hotel industry of ice buckets and wastebaskets (coincidentally, the perfect spot for Pure by Gloss!). Ladies: the Sephora in the Prudential Center Mall is only a three block walk away and worth every step of it!

The rest of the room was adequate, but not particularly charming or user-friendly. The wall was painted in a drab color that I named vanilla mud. The curtains featured an enchanted pattern of mud on vanilla mud. Drab corporate art hung on the walls: obviously chosen by someone who imagines that large, chunky frames and thick mattes equal fine art.

Nor was the room well equipped. Electrical outlets were in short supply and hard to reach. Lighting was poor, except for nice bedside reading lamps. The closet was irregularly shaped and even smaller than the micro-bathroom. There were only a few clothes hangers. My Dearest whined that there was no shoe horn. Beware, the heating system is antiquated and the room was drier than Death Valley in August.

On the positive side, the bed was firm and comfortable with Italian cotton sheets. The wool throw left on the bed was a nice warm touch. The location is good in the center of all the rather pedestrian things that Boston has to offer.

Service was mixed. The reception desk attendants were charming and user-friendly – when they were at the reception desk. Often the reception desk was unmanned, and I had to fume until a receptionist bothered to show up. The doormen were efficient and helpful when they were at the front door, but they too were often AWOL when I arrived in the middle of the day or late at night.

The Eliot features two examples of what passes for a trendy restaurant in Boston: Clio which offers French/Asian fusion food with many obscure ingredients, and Uni, a high end sushi bar. For the most part we enjoyed the food, although you should avoid any red meat dishes at Clio that involve vanilla. Given, the slim restaurant pickings in Boston these days, both Clio and Uni tend to be mobbed, so a hotel guest seeking a quiet drink or dinner in the hotel is stuck with room service (translation: out of luck).

The bar in Clio brought a happy smile to my face. Traditional cocktails flawlessly executed. Inventive cocktails that are delicious and often include fruit and spices grilled bar-side. A cute bartender with long hair and tattooed muscular forearms - the stuff of dreams!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank tarrytown54
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Bombastic tedium aside, I wish to address the following points as a matter of accuracy: Uni restaurant in the hotel is not a sushi bar, but a sashimi bar. Food aficionados, even those from Boston if any exist, may find that distinction important. The décor of the hotel is the realization of the direct vision of the hotel’s proprietor who works hand in hand with a renowned architect and designer to carefully and thoughtfully select each element in our suites in order to create an ambiance of sophistication and comfort. While subjective opinions can certainly vary, I wish to assure prospective guests that the hotel’s numerous awards and accolades are a testimony to the hotel’s commitment to superlative accommodations and service.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

I am a frequent traveler and have been to Boston over a dozen times and have stayed at most of the top hotels. And while I have never had a bad stay at any of them, the Eliot is by far the most charming hotel I have stayed in. Excellent location, wonderful staff, heavenly comfortable beds but my favorite (which is why I have returned three times) is the décor!
The rooms are exquisitely decorated with romantic toile cornice beds, beautiful and comfortable furniture, wonderful 'homey' details like designer blankets and pillows on the beds and chairs, crystal lamps with fringed shades, blown glass vases and bowls and a classic marble bathroom. I feel as if I am not in a hotel room but rather a classic brownstone home. (I read a managers comments and it said they are changing the décor..NOOOOOO, it is my favorite!)
The service has been wonderful. The staff has been attentive and extremely helpful with restaurant suggestions and reservations. I love the little details like the fresh cookies and extra special touches.
Please don't change a thing!!!!!

Room Tip: We love the corner suites.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ldcorrado
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Location was very close to activities. Amenities were not as good as lower priced hotels. Many
Hotels in this price range would have complimentary flowers or fruit in your
room. There was not a coffee pot. The bathroom was small. Beds very
comfortable. Clio restaurant excellent with excellent service.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelsister07
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The suites at the Eliot are very comfortable, traditional and offer great value. The room service menu was eclectic and more interesting than the usual room service offerings. Service is good, only room for improvement is in the valet parking.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Rocco O
Reviewed 25 January 2013

My husband & I stayed at this hotel in December 2013 after a night out with friends. It has a beautiful lobby, clean and elegant with a professional staff that made me feel welcome. I thought it was a great value. It is a short walk for shopping on Newbury and Boylston Street. It was a easy walked to Fenway Park. I have stayed at a number of hotels in Boston. I think this is the best value for the experience.

Room Tip: I had a corner room with a separate living room and bedroom.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathleen P
Reviewed 23 January 2013

First let me start by saying we travel a lot and have seen quite a few hotel rooms. The room size and layout is a great value. Well decorated and very clean. Overall a good experience. Now for the nitty gritty... We stayed over NYE and it was hard regulating the room temp. We had to turn the heat off completely because it was far too warm to sleep. Even then, the temp was never great. The temperature and bed was probably the worst part of our stay. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. We barely slept the two nights we were there. The bathroom, although adequate and aesthetically pleasing, was not as functional as we like when traveling. The only electrical outlet was by the toilet and sink even though there was a nice mirrored vanity area, it made it tough to use a hair dryer anywhere other than in the front entry using the coat closet door mirror. The shower was one that only has a half glass wall and no door making it chilly even while showering. No fan in bathroom which was also an issue when trying to get rid of steam etc.
our rate included continental breakfast in Clio, which was very good, but the waitstaff was not very easy to communicate with.
For reference we booked a king suite.

• Stayed: December 2012