“The worst in a while”
Review of Eliot Hotel

Eliot Hotel
Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Plus points: a very good rate for a small suite plus breakfast (perhaps that should have alarmed me?); good location near Newbury Street.
Minus: without a doubt the worst service I've had at a hotel in a while. After a long flight, booked room service - it didn't arrive after 45 minutes so I called to cancel. No answer; left it ring for 10 minutes; no answer. Called the front desk to get them to cancel; polite apology; accept busy times means small hotels can't cope. Then ten minutes later a waiter arrives at my door with the order and is the most surly, ignorant one I've come across in a very long time. Go to bed hungry. Told reception in morning before I left.
We all make mistakes. The mark of a good hotel is how they are dealt with. Avoid.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

I regret that this guest was unable to realize the high level of service the Eliot Hotel is committed to providing and wish I could apologize, but the factual information is a bit different from what I am certain this guest truthfully believes. It is true our internationally recognized Restaurant, Clio, was dealing with an unexpected shortage of staffing due to an emergency and the guest was quoted, therefore, a 45 minute estimate for room service delivery. The records indicate that the time from when the guest order was received to the time the order was attempted to be delivered was 46 minutes. The guest, however, called after 35 minutes to complain about a delay and to cancel the order, but before the request could be processed, the order was delivered.

The room service waiter, a true professional who has had the pleasure of serving our guests for over 16 years was reprimanded by this guest. The server's arms becoming heavy with the order simply inquired if the guest did or did not want the order, as it was not clear to him based on the manner in which the guest was speaking to him. The guest, in frustration, then called reception. I personally answered the call and the guest proceeded to condemn the room service and the rudeness of the waiter. As I began offering assistance, the guest found it necessary to hang up the phone.

While we can certainly appreciate subjective experiences inform the impression of one's stay, I must say the interaction is entirely different from the polite type of interactions we cultivate and have with our typical guests. I hope the frustration this guest experienced, regardless of origin, has abated and I invite this guest to provide us with another opportunity to return. If so, I will ensure his experience will be commensurate with both of our expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed at the Eliot Hotel for Christmas 2012 and it was very good but we suggested coffee machines in the suites and wi fi would make it excellent.

We have just returned to England after spending Christmas 2013 at the Eliot and not only were there coffee machines in the suites, there was also wi fi and this year continental breakfast was available in the restaurant.

We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was beautiful, cosy and extremely comfortable. The staff were courteous and helpful. The heating was extremely noisy which meant we had to switch it off before we could sleep but everything else about the hotel is perfect and we can't wait to cross the Atlantic again to stay at what has become our favourite hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise and switch the heating off when you want to sleep
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here overnight before a Trans-Siberian Concert. Even before we arrived, the service was absolutely incredible. We had emailed to inquire if parking was available before the usual check-in of 3:00pm. I received a response, within an hour, stating that because they noticed we were arriving from Canada, that they had anticipated an early arrival, and that our room would be ready for us when we arrived. This is a small example of the personalized service at The Eliot. When we arrived, our room was indeed ready, but we had been upgraded to a suite (MORE than welcome). The room was absolutely immaculate, and huge! The bathroom is outfitted in all marble. My only complaint is that the toilet is a tad too close to the wall, however that is to be expected of a 100-year old building.
The location is amazing, close to everything in Back Bay (within walking distance of Newbury St, Copley Place, Shops at Prudential Center). No need to drive/call a taxi.
The staff were all incredibly friendly and approachable, always ready to offer a tip about where to eat lunch or what shops have the best deals!!
We tried calling Clio, one of the attached restaurants, to no avail. I was put on hold twice, and then promptly hung up on each time. I called the front desk, and she was able to make reservations right away, and was quick to apologize for any inconvenience (none had).
We plan on returning to Boston, and will definitely book a room at the Eliot. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone willing to pay a bit more for that extra touch!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a long weekend and had a lovely time. Free upgrade on arrival (offered, we didn't request it!) which was a lovely surprise. Staff could not have been more helpful. Bed was very comfy. We ate in the restaurant on one night and had a beautiful meal. The only downside to the room was the very noisy blown air heating.
I would recommend this lovely old hotel - we had a really pleasant stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The service in this hotel is superb. The staff was very nice and always helpful. We stayed in the king size suit and it was absolutely beautiful. The room was clean, quiet, warm and cozy. I wished I could take the bed home with me - one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bri M
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We were there 3 days after bombing. We had a one day lockdown of the whole city and we were in the hotel all day. The staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. Rooms are large and beds are super comfy. Easy walking distance to many attractions.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had a top of the line radar detector & new GPS stolen out of my locked van while under the care of the Eliot Hotel valet staff during a two night stay in mid October. The hotel management came up with every excuse in the book why they wouldn't help me.

Bottom line is the van had zero evidence of forced entry, the hotel staff had the keys, and these two items (value ~$750) were stolen.

Conclusion: this hotel employs a thief, yet the management refuses to admit this. They provided zero help, and from what I have seen by these actions, could care less about the paying guest's property.

Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank esddi
Joseph P, Assistant General Manager at Eliot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

At the present time, the Eliot Hotel will not provide a response to this review. We ask the TripAdvisor readership for understanding.