“Great location, but pricey”

Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at this property for 3 nights in April 2012 for a convention. I loved the close proximity to The Prudential Center Complex (right across the street where the Hynes Convention Center is located), Fenway Park, and the Charles River, which are in short walking distance.

The property itself seems to be well maintained and the staff was friendly and helpful when I asked for directions or information about landmarks and destinations in the area.

The room I had was spacious and with a large flat screen TV. I was also on the 24th floor which afforded a great view of the city. The beds were comfy and I had no problems with the initial cleanliness of the room or how it was maintained.

There were some noise issues that were bothersome, the toilet flushing was extremely loud and I could hear toilets flushing in the rooms surrounding mine. There also wasn't great insulation from hallway noise. Additionally the air conditioning unit was frighteningly loud. The unit turned on almost explosively and I was startled and jumped every time it cycled on. These annoyances were very disruptive when I was trying to go to sleep.

The things I hated about staying here was the parking rate (an exorbitant $41 per night) and the internet policy (in room internet $14.95 PER DEVICE). If you must charge for in room internet, why charge the fee per device? The charge should be per room regardless as to the number of devices you use while in your room. Hilton, that's just greedy!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

I am very happy to read your comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and service levels of our hotel to your satisfaction. I understand that the price of parking and internet was a concern, we try to stay competitive in our prices and make sure that our prices are in-line with other hotels in the area. However it is feedback and reviews like yours that will help us to make improvements in the future. Once again thank you for review.

Hilton Boston Bay Bay

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Service is on par with most Hiltons but nothing really stands out. I dont remember any bad incident while I was there but nothing to make you smile about either.

They have a nice little cafe in the lobby with an internet lounge. The food is good in room service and breakfast is above average. We got a high level floor and the views of boston were nice.

The location is extraordinary. Its located right next to copley square and walking distance to fenway park, boston commons and alot of good places to eat! Its also very close to the "t" if you are of those who likes to act like a local (myself included). Parking is a fortune at the hotel but very convenient. It is something around $40 a day!

The rooms are nice and on average with sheratons and marriots. It has the giant flat screen (with actual HD channels), marble bathroom, cozy double beds and very adequate for 4 people to a room.

It is a 10-15 minute walk to major nightlife places but also very close to bolyston and newbury streets, which is where alot of restaurant/bars are.

I would recommend it for a good place to sleep for the weekend but not a place where you want to spend most of your day in. So this is a good fit for boston because there is so much to do!

Room Tip: High floor facing newbury street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Thanks for the comments. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and hope to see you return soon next time you are in the Boston area.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I was check in by a lady named Linda and she didn't have a clue what she was doing. Just a hassle after a long day of travel.

• Stayed: April 2012

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional Guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I rarely stay in Hilton properties anymore, but this one was very nice. They were able to meet our room requests and the room itself was very ncie. The service was also very good. I would stay again. It is very close to a couple of T stops. prudential was most convenient for us. Just a few blocks walk.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Les M

I am very happy to read your comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and service levels of our hotel to your satisfaction. Hope to see you return soon.!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

A famous musician I sometimes work for asked for me to find accommodations in Boston near Berkley. There was a special available on line to stay here at the Hilton Back Bay, so we booked here. Besides the wonderful location, it has it's own parking garage for convenience. There is also free internet (lobby only), a coffee lounge and a restaurant/bar. Or you can walk around and enjoy what Boylston and Newbury Streets have to offer. The T is around the corner. The rooms are nice and include sweet views and a bottle of water. The best part of my stay was the customer service. I could not sleep (snoring roommate) and the front desk found me earplugs. There's also a nice pool, hot tub, exercise room and roof deck. My only complaints are that the beds are uncomfortable (for me; I notice this at all Hilton's), parking is expensive and the wifi isn't free in your room. I'd like a little bang with my buck.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LuvnLif e

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hilton Boston Back Bay . Hope to see you return in the near future. Safe travels!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed at the Hilton for 4 nights in April, 2012. When we were greeted at the desk it was found that our reservation was no in the HIlton system. We reserved the room through American Airlines when we bought our tickets. We presented the desk clerk with our reservation number and rate information and were given a room promptly. (Even though she said that she had no rooms available.)

Upon entering our room it was found that the bathroom had not been cleaned properly (there was hair still in the tub and there was only about 1 use left on the toilet paper. Our coffee maker still had old coffee in it and there were used coffee grounds in the machine.) We went and told the front desk staff and were given a complimentary breakfast to use the next day. We didn't end up using it, but it was a nice gesture.

All and all it was an okay stay. I'm really glad we got a deeply discounted rate or else I would be giving a much lower review. It was not worth the posted $230 a night... try $100 less... then we're talking.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

I am very happy to read your comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the service levels of our hotel to your satisfaction. My apologize that there was some confusion with your reservation but happy to hear that our front desk staff was able to make the situation right. We hope to see you soon upon your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We have stayed at many hotels in the Hilton family, but the Hilton Back Bay hotel is one of the best. The staff was very friendly and professional. The room was nice and very clean. Our room was on the 24th floor with an very nice view of Boston. The beds were excellent, some of the best we have tried in a hotel. The continental breakfast for Hhonors was very good, and above the average for such a breakfast. No need to pay for the full buffet. The internet was stable and fast.

The hotel has a perfect location, close to the Prudential center and the Back Bay area. Also, conveniently located for the Beacon Hill and the Downtown areas, whether you walk or take the T from stations near-by.

The only negative point about this hotel is the 41$ for the overnight parking which is simply too much even by Boston standards.

Room Tip: A room at the higher floors will provide you with a very nice view of Boston
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Writers_dk

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that our Team Members took such good care of you and you found the amenities of our property to your liking. We understand that parking can be a little pricey, but we try to remain as competitive as possible and in-line with parking prices at other hotels in the area. Unfortunately this is the price we have to pay to be in the downtown Boston area. Hope to see you return soon!