“I would stay again”

Ranked #54 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Kildare
“I would stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I spent 4 nights here with a friend at the end of February and I found the Hilton Back Bay to be quite adequate for my needs. Reception was quiet so we had a quick check in, and any of the front desk staff I dealt with were polite and attentive.
Our room was on the top floor with a nice view of the city. The room was nice and clean with a large TV, mini-bar, tea/coffee making facilities and a small bathroom. Some other reviewers have complained about the small bathrooms, but really, how much space does one need in a bathroom? The water was hot, required supplies were plentiful and towels were refreshed as required. Job done!
The location was good with The Prudential Centre, Newberry St. and a T station all within a few minutes walk. I didn't use the restaurant or gym so I cant personally comment on those although my friend did use the gym and pool and found them clean and sufficient for his needs.
My one minor gripe would be the lack of Wi-Fi in the rooms. I simply went down to the lobby where complimentary Wi-Fi was available so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
The Hilton Back Bay, while not the lap of luxury, was more than adequate as a base for me to explore the city. My compliments on the general cleanliness of the entire hotel, the politeness of the staff, and the attention of the staff that serviced the room on a daily basis. I would give this hotel consideration for a return visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BigPauly
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of our convenient location just steps away from everything! It would be our pleasure to host you again should you return to Boston in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ellicott City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We had a long weekend in Boston at the Back Bay Hilton. Superb hotel with a fantastic convenient locatioon near the T, shopping, restaurants, and places to visit. Very helpful staff. Nice gym, pool, and buffet breakfast.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our convenient location. It would be our pleasure to host you again should you return to the Boston area!
Arvada, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel is very nice to stay in if you want to be close to most of the sights in Boston. It was very clean and the staff were all very helpful! The dining room was quiet and the food was very good. The fitness center was top notch, although you tend to walk a lot in this city so extra workouts aren't that necessary

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff so friendly. We would love to host you again should you return to Boston in the future!
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. Hotel staff friendly and helpful. Rooms ok but bathrooms are a little tired, and could do with updating. Restaurant disappointing. Coffee served in large heavy china mugs! Had to ask for sugar and milk. Had a meal on our first evening. No atmosphere and food was alright but nothing special. Best thing about this hotel is the staff!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. It is always a pleasure to hear that our staff were friendly and helpful and we sincerely appreciate your comments and feedback. We would love the opportunity to host you again should you return to Boston in the future!
Nebo, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

The Hilton Back Bay is a lovely property within a block of the Hynes Convention Center with easy access to the heart of Boston. Subway, freeway and walking are extremely convenient. I would definitely stay there again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. We sincerely appreciate your gracious comments and are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. It would be our pleasure to host you again if you return to Boston in the future!
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

My reservation disappeared from the Hilton system. Reception never once apologized for my missing reservation and proceeded as if Hilton bore no responsibility in the matter. The man acted like the whole thing was my fault because I didn't have my confirmation number with me. He refused to give me the group rate I booked. In no way was he accommodating. He didn't even offer a room until I asked: "Do you have any rooms available?" "Yes." "Well, can I have one?" There was a very easy solution. Offer me a room and I send him the confirmation email when I get home. Instead I had to endure a tortuous process with him tapping away on a key board and being totally non-communicative. He was very dismissive and cold. It seemed like he believed I was lying about the reservation and perpetrating some scam. I was in town for a world athletic competition the next day and needed my rest. The man woke me up from a deep sleep with a phone call after 9pm. He assured me I wouldn't be double-billed for the room, and sounded like I should be so grateful for that.
I will never stay at another Hilton property.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your experience at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you faced during check-in process and that you felt it was not handled properly by our staff. All of your comments and feedback are truly appreciated and we will make sure to prioritize them for our future guests. We would love another opportunity to host you again and share our true Hilton hospitality!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Firstly, I chose to stay at the Hilton because it's a standard hotel chain and a company I previously hadn't had any problems with. It should be noted that the door staff were very polite and amiable, as were the cleaning staff and the rooms were immaculate. Where my issue lies is with the reception staff.

On arrival to the Back Bay hotel we were informed that only half of our party had booked rooms, despite booking confirmations that we provided proving otherwise and an eventual phone call to the travel agency who booked itnon out behalf. This was a minor inconvenience, but what really infuriated me was that the reception staff were entirely unhelpful in this matter.

The lady who we were unfortunate enough to be 'helped' by was more interested in filing her nails than helping us sort out the situation with the rooms. As far as she was concerned we hadn't booked the room and that was that. When we asked to use the reception phone to contact our travel agent we were initially refused, and after many minutes of persuading I was begrudgingly allowed to make a call. It should be noted as well that when she was gracious enough to lend us the use of the phone, it was immediately taken off of me and she spoke to them regarding the situation, despite my requests to speak to the agent, I was refused.

Even more maddening was that I overheard her mutter to a co-worker, that we were 'cluttering up the foyer'. This is after her complete reluctance to help us.

As previously mentioned I cannot complain about the cleanliness of the rooms and the location of the hotel is average. But if you value customer service you'll go elsewhere, I certainly will.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank EllsBells88
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during check-in and that you found your interactions with our staff so unhelpful. We truly appreciate your comments and feedback and will be sure to utilize them to improve service for future guests. We would love another opportunity to host you and display our true Hilton hospitality!