“Good Hotel”

Ranked #52 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Adelaide, Australia
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We have had a good experience staying here and found the staff to be of professional standard and helpful. The room was clean with quality bed linen a fridge, coffee maker and enough space to move freely. Bathroom was good size and had plenty of toiletries etc nice. Position of hotel is easy for walking to attractions but there is a car park attached so was easy to use the car as well. Parking is expensive but all over Boston is the same. A Starbucks is located in the foyer for a quick fix. The hotel is a little dated but I'm more concerned with clean! It was peaceful and quiet for sleeping. Its time WiFi was free in the room or at least more reasonable in charges.

Room Tip: Get a higher room for the view of Boston at night is lovely.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. We always appreciate guest feedback and continuously take comments into consideration as we strive to improve our guest service experience. It is important that we accommodate all your needs and would love for you to stay with us again so we can make it right and your next review on us will be 5 stars.

Dominique Marty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 September 2014

The Hilton Back Bay is right in the middle of everything in the Back Bay--The Prudential Center is steps away as are all the restaurants etc. on Boylston St. It's also within walking distance of Fenway Park. My room was fine, except for some noise I couldn't identify. Good buffet breakfast in the morning. All in all it was okay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dick N
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Hilton Boston Back Bay and the convenience our location afforded you. Providing positive and memorable experiences for our guests is the reason for our success along with our excellent location. We are absolutely thrilled you took the time and effort to share your experience at our property with you. I would love to hear what room you were in so that we can have our engineering department take a look at what your "noise" was during your stay. Feel free to call our hotel directly at 617-236-1100. We hope you will stay with us on your next visit to our beautiful city and take full advantage of our prime location.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Hotel was clean but overall appearance is just average. Definitely overpriced for what you get. We were there for 2 nights and one of my friends wanted to stay over Sunday night. The rate for Sunday was $279 which is just ridiculous for this hotel. We didn't eat at the restaurant but did get coffee at the Starbucks cafe on Saturday morning. And on a Saturday morning they only had one person working the cafe so it was along wait to get coffee. Then the only trashcan in the vicinity was stuffed full and everyone just started leaving their cups stack up around the counter because there was no where else to throw them out.
Saturday night, there was water leaking into a bucket in the lobby from one of the recessed lights. It was finally fixed sometime Sunday morning.
On Sunday, which is obviously a busy check-out day, this hotel decided that one bell person was enough to get checked bags and call for cabs. In fact, the bellman asked 2 of my friends to go with him into the storage room to help him look for their luggage.
Not sure what has happened to the Hilton chain over the years but it just continues to take a nose dive.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank wkt1969
We would first like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. We always appreciate guest feedback and continuously take comments into consideration as we strive to improve our guest service experience. Secondly, we would like to apologize for the numerous issues you experience during your stay. This review has been brought to the attention of all contributing departments, and they have addressed the team. We hope that you will reconsider your decision on staying with another hotel in Boston because we would love to have the opportunity to make it right for you. It is important that we accommodate all your needs and welcome you to stay with us again.

Tewkesbury
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I would have given is hotel another star if we had not had an unfortunate start to our two days there. The rooms we requested in January 2014 had not been reserved and as a family of 8 we did not have enough beds in a busy hotel and not all together as requested. The staff were not very helpful and it was only when the manager came on the next day after an email request to see him, that we had an apology and offer to help us. We were glad to accept his offer of a change of rooms and free breakfasts, which were delicious. The rooms were very comfortable and we had a great view of the River.
The Hotel is well positioned for The Boston Red Socks Baseball ground but about 20 mins walk from the town quay area.

Room Tip: The higher the better and facing the river was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Twyningite
Thank you for taking the time and effort to send us your feedback. Secondly, we would like to apologize for the issues that arose concerning your room reservation. I am pleased that you brought this to our Front Office Manager and that he was able to resolve the misunderstanding for you. We hope to welcome you back soon so that we can give you the all star service you deserve!

Best,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in the Hilton Back Bay at the end of a 2 week holiday travelling up from New York to Maine and then finishing in Boston. We chose the hotel on the basis of past Trip Advisors reviews and its location near my favourite Back Bay area’s (i.e. a short walking distance to Newbury Street with all its boutique shops and restaurants).

We had arrived slightly too early for check-in and our room was not ready, but the front desk staff were incredibly friendly and we were allowed to check-in and store our bags. I asked whether it was a ‘coffee wait’ or a ‘lunch wait’ and the guy at the front desk very honestly suggested some lunch and some places to go. The warm, personable service from the front desk staff was exceptional throughout our stay from our experience at check-in to check-out (on our final day we could use the Gym facilities before heading off refreshed to the airport).

On arrival at the hotel we had been upgraded to a river facing room on a higher floor with lovely views over Back Bay and over to the Charles River. The room was fairly typical of a hotel of this grade, a fair size for Boston, very comfortable, clean, bright and well maintained. It had a large Flat screen, Tea/Coffee making facilities, well equipped Bathroom (with a powerful shower) and a large in-room safe. There was no complimentary WiFi in the room, which was the only negative.

We used the Gym each of the 3 days we were there and it was very good, being a good size with a wide range of equipment, indoor pool and a seated area outside to relax and read the papers in the sun.

We went to the hotel bar each night for a quick ‘sundowner’ cocktail before going onto Newbury Street for dinner. Again the service was impeccable, friendly and personable (without being overbearing) and we thoroughly enjoyed the cocktails on offer.

Overall, we’re very pleased with our choice of Hotel in Boston. Many hotels of a certain grade can be very similar and ‘identikit’ in room qualities. The service and different features are really the differential and I have to pass some huge praise to the staff at Hilton Back Bay for the consistently friendly, personable and welcoming service they afforded us. It was a great end to our 2 week holiday. We would stay here again and happily recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor with Back Bay / Charles River views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robesi
Thank you for sharing such kind words about your stay at our hotel. Our entire staff will be informed of this review and will be pleased to hear that they were instrumental in providing an exceptional experience for you during your two week vacation! We greatly appreciate such high praise as well as your choice to stay at our hotel. We are looking forward to your next visit when we will have the opportunity to build on the trust and loyalty that we have with you.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I am absolutely not happy with my stay at the Hilton Back Bay.

I had booked 3 rooms, two prepaid for the 15-18 July for my guests and one post paid for 15-19 July for myself. I received an email about my bookings and had replied that we will only arrive on the 16th and had asked that the hotel checked us in since we will be arriving early on an overnight flight and needed the room when we arrive. Tommie, the Front Office Manager, acknowledged that they did receive my email but guess what?

When we check in on the 16th we were told that there were no rooms for us, and all rooms were sold out the night before. Huh? Sold the two rooms that were pre-paid? Why? It was an embarrassing moment as my guests had to wait while I deal with the reservations. Tommie did offer us complimentary breakfast, but really that is not as important as getting into our rooms to refresh ourselves, after the overnight flight.

30 minutes later we were given keys to our rooms. Finally I thought we had the bad situation settled and was looking forward to better times ahead. But no, another disappointment awaits. We were not given the rooms that we had reserved. The reservations were for 3 Panoramic rooms, but we were given Standard rooms instead! I went to the Front Desk to clarify, and was told that they will switch our rooms when the rooms are available. I can’t understand why the staff can’t be upfront from the beginning and explain clearly what was planned? This is especially upsetting as I’ve prepaid for Panoramic rooms and was given Standard rooms without any explanation!

We got our rooms later the same day. With all the troubles I had on day one, I just needed to be careful. My hunch was proven correct. I checked the departure date for my room the next day, and was told that all rooms are booked till the 18th! What? I had a room reserved for a 19th departure date right? If I had not checked I’ll probably to left stranded without a room for the night of the 18th.

More troubles when my guest checked out on the 18th. Remember their rooms were pre-paid? Well the statement they received were only for two nights although the rooms were pre-paid for 3 nights. why is this so? No one at Front Desk apparently knows. I was promised that the statement will be worked out for me. When I checked later in the evening nothing was done. No one has any clue about what had transpired. I had to explain my predicament to 3-4 people and each promised to look into it but none did.

No one seemed at all interested to investigate the matter and resolve the issue. I was promised that I will be sent the correct updated statements. It has been a month and a half now and I have not received any to-date.

The impression I got from my stay at the hotel is that no one at the Front Desk is interested to solve the problems they created. The problem just disappear from shift change to shift change. I had to explain my predicament all over again each time I asked about the status at the Front Desk.

My experience at Hilton Back Bay left a bad taste in my mouth. What an incompetent lot! This level of bad service is something I never expect from the Hilton chain, as a Gold member.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Chee60
We appreciate the feedback you have provided the Hilton Boston Back Bay with your review. Please accept our deepest apologies for failing to exceed your expectations during your stay with us. We always strive to uphold the Hilton Values and culture and regrettably did not do so during your stay with us. I have spoken with our Front Office Managers and stated that they're in contact with you after you left. Please contact BOSBH_FO@HILTON.COM or our hotel directly at 617-236-1100 to resolve further issues.

Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

Hilton Hotel Boston Backbay. Negatives .....first It's very cold in the lobby and the restaurant , Men were having to go get jackets for the wife's . There's no free wifi in the rooms only the lobby ( not like doubletree hiltons ) and it's noisy on the 4th floor, I think because we are close to a bank of lifts, it's like a constant noise. I have found it's a bit away from any attractions if you want to walk so depending on your age and fitness it's a bit of a walk to the real touristy areas. Okay good things...the room is large and it's clean . Tea and coffee making facilities, flat screen TV, iron and ironing board, fridge, shampoo etc in bathroom. There's restaurants and bars everywhere also there's shopping in the prudential ctr. The upper deck trolley tours hop on hop off stop at the front door. Duck splash tours are just around the crn near the Sheraton hotel. There's a bottle shop and grocery store on boylston street. There's nothing wrong with this hotel but I would stay closer to Boston Common, Theatre district next time it really depends what your holiday is all about you are very close to Fenway Park. I found the front desk not to be very helpful if you want to book tours and there's no pamphlets like other hotels for touristy trips. Make sure you know what you want before you get here.

Stayed September 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diane E
HiltonBostonBackBay, General Manager at Hilton Boston Back Bay, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. We always appreciate guest feedback and continuously take comments into consideration as we strive to improve our guest service experience. We have a Journey Ambassador desk in the lobby that has pamphlets with information with of all Boston's attractions. We would also love to sign you up as a member of our Hilton HHonors rewards programs, which offers amazing perks such complimentary Wi-Fi in your room. We hope that you will reconsider your decision on staying with another hotel in Boston because we would love to have the opportunity to make it right for you. It is important that we accommodate all your needs and welcome you to stay with us again.