“Hilton: Great quality and location”

Hilton Boston Back Bay
Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Boston
dallas
“Hilton: Great quality and location”
Reviewed 30 May 2007

This Hilton was in a great location - the next street over had shopping, food, bars. But the hotel itself was very quiet, as we had a room on the 18th floor with an awesome view. Our rate was only $70/night due to being purchased on Pricelin. We didn't have a rental car since parking is so expensive, but the day pass on the T worked great. You can definitely get wherever you need to go anywhere in Boston without walking too far due to the many T stops.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking price
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ksmovu03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 25 April 2007

My husband and I stayed Thursday through Sunday of last week. Our room was clean, comfortable, and had a small balcony with a good view of the city and a peek view of the Charles. The hotel was quiet, with street noise audible only when we had the balcony door open. There is complimentary coffee and bottled water replenished daily, a mini bar, iron/board, hair dryer, Crabtree & Evelyn amenities, clock/radio with MP3, lighted closet, ice machines on each floor, and a small store in lobby behind front desk for incidental items. The hotel is in an excellent location -- within walking distance to much of what Boston has to offer. We used no public transportation during our stay (except to and from the airport), but had easy access to the T, and readily available taxis if we desired. Tour Trolley stops and Duck Tour boarding areas are nearby. One late morning, we walked from the hotel to the beginning of the Freedom Trail and completed the Freedom Trail, taking time to stop at various places -- shopping at Quincy Market, lunch at Durgin Park, touring Paul Revere's house and the USS Constitution, and walked back to the hotel by mid-evening. This may be too much walking for some, but if you find yourself exhausted, public transportation is readily available, be it the T, a taxi, or a bus to get you back to the hotel. We had a late dinner at Boodles (the hotel restaurant) the evening we arrived. The service was efficient and courteous, and the food was surprisingly tasty. We also had breakfast at Boodles the morning we departed. The buffet offered a good variety, and a breakfast menu was also available. The hotel fitness center has recently been remodeled and offers a good number of cardio machines, universal equipment, free weights, complimentary cold bottled water, locker rooms, a pool and spa. Note: my husband stayed on the following week for business and moved to the Sheraton across the street. His comment was that he much preferred the Hilton Back Bay -- larger room, better amenities. Being from Phoenix, we've had little subway experience and were somewhat hesitant to take the T. However, after riding in a taxi to drop me at the airport for departure, my husband experimented with the T and found that it is an easy T ride between the airport and the Back Bay area. We plan to use the T in lieu of a $40+ taxi ride to/from the airport during future visits to Boston. We had originally planned to stay at the Hilton Financial District, but after touring Boston, I am glad we chose the Back Bay. Currently, the Financial District is not as attractive. They are readying an area for a greenbelt/park of sorts resulting from the Big Dig. But, at this time, it is appears to be more of a vacant lot. In addition, I felt the Back Bay was a lot more walkable and visitor friendly than the Financial District. If you are going for leisure, stay in the Back Bay. You'll find it more enjoyable.

• Liked — The excellent proximity to all that Boston offers.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
9 Thank ArtiesBear
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 20 April 2007

Stayed four nights for a convention.

The room was nicer than I expected for a room at a conference rate - king bed, sofa, side chair, desk/chair and enough lighting to keep the room bright if desired. Also had a minibar although I didn't touch it, and on top of that was a coffee maker, ice bucket and glasses and two half-pint bottles of Poland Spring water which were replenished daily. Small padded bench at the foot of the bed which faced the TV.

Coffee guzzlers will want to hit up the front desk for additional coffee, as the packets provided make but a single cup each, and they leave you 2 regular and 2 decaf packets in the room.

Some little niceties: the alarm clock had a wire for plugging into an MP3 player's headphone jack if desired, a soap dish on the sink, magnifying mirror in the bathroom (adjustable), a light in the large closet which came on automatically when the door was opened, complimentary fresh fruit (apples/oranges) at the front desk, USA Today delivered to the door early each morning (it was there by 6 AM every day), two foil-wrapped Astor-brand chocolates on the bed each day.

I only ate once in the restaurant (breakfast for $17 + tip) and the buffet had plenty of options - pastries, bagels, oatmeal, bread, fruit, and the ubiquitous eggs/bacon/sausage/potatoes/pancake options. You could also order from a menu if you didn't want the buffet.

I didn't need anything special but based on my smooth check-in experience and having my bags checked on the last day until I needed to get to the airport, I expect they would have handled things well.

Free wireless in the large and comfortable lobby but $9.95 a day in the room. There was also a concierge desk in the lobby.

While I didn't use it myself, the fitness center was very large and nice. It had just recently been renovated.

Directly across the street was the Sheraton, which was connected internally to both the Hynes Convention Center and Prudential Center, so in bad weather you could get to the Prudential Center restaurants without having to be out in the elements other than having to cross the street to the Sheraton's entrance.

• Liked — Large, comfortable and spotless room.
  • Disliked — Nothing to really dislike, other than the skimpy coffee rations.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank swissvalian
Houston, TX
Reviewed 12 April 2007

I stayed here in the fall of 2006 as a layover between business trips. I thought it was great. My only complaint was that I had to find it at night and found it almost impossible. The good news is that the hotel put someone on the phone who talked me to the hotel while I drove. I thought this was way beyond the call of duty. I gave that woman a hug when I finally got there because I had been lost for over 2 hours. (If you have never been to Boston, it is a huge challenge to navigate around.)

My room was great. The food was great. I had a great stay and thought the staff was wonderful!

• Liked — It was right on the trolley trail so it was easy to get on and use that as my transportation during the day.
  • Disliked — It was very hard to find at night.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank smokeytx
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2007

Without exception the staff were friendly and helpful. We had a four night stay. Good location, great shopping close by, and good restaurants. Our only complaint was the size of the beds in the room which are smaller than a British standard double bed (probably four feet wide.) We were on the 23rd floor with a good view. No problem at all with the lifts when we were there.The buffet breakfast was good with an excellent choice.

• Liked — Clean with a greta city view and an excellent tv
  • Disliked — Size of beds
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank LezahSwayHampshire
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 18 March 2007

The hotel is nicely located in the Back Bay Area of Boston. It's very close to the Prudental Center with shops, restaurants and the magnificent view from the top of the Prudential Tower.
Nearby is also Boylston Street and Newbury Street with more shopping and restaurants. The area felt very safe and friendly. Boston is compact so we walked into the city center and the New England Aquarium, it took about 30 minutes.
The Hotel may need some remodeling in the next years but the room was comfortable and we also enjoyed the very good breakfast buffet.
There´s also a small but nice pool and a jacuzzi.
Overall I would say this is a good hotel in a very friendly area an I would probably stay here again when visiting Boston.

• Liked — Location and breakfast.
  • Disliked — The very cold floor in the shower room connected to the pool and gym.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Nikon
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 March 2007

The HIlton Back Bay has elevator problems. Not just broken elevators and there were two of those during our stay that significantly lenghthened lobby wait times, but noisy elevators. Our room was located behind the elevator bank and across the hall from the elevator and at night and in the morning we could hear the elevators going up and down. This is a real impediment a to good night's sleep. There isn't much soundproofing between rooms either, as it sounded as if our neighbor was showering in our room.

On the plus side, the rooms are pleasantly decorated and the hotel is conveniently located to the Prudential Center mall. Although there is no concierge, the Front Desk did make us a restaurant reservation and the bell staff was helpful.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — elevator noise
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business