“Caution - booking fee”

Ranked #28 of 83 Hotels in Boston
St Paul, MN,
“Caution - booking fee”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I booked several nights in March 2014 - a good 5 months away. The entire hotel cost went directly on my credit card. I wasn't expecting that - so cancelled my reservation within two days of making it.

When I cancelled - I was charged a $25 booking fee. All cancellations made before "March 2014" are charged this.

1. I understand a cancellation fee- but five months out? And within a day of making the reservation?
2. I did not understand the cost was going to go onto my credit card immediately. I know this can be standard, but I didn't understand that, and didn't read any fine print to point that out. I am saving to make the trip - don't have it all yet!

I'm sure this guest house is lovely, and I hope I may indeed stay there sometime. But - I didn't appreciate the charge, nor the immediate full charge to my credit card.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank StopSmellRoses

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed at the Newbury Guest House for 4 days pre cruise in September.
A great location and way more personal than chain hotels of a similar price.
Close to the T, Copely Place shops and a 10 minute stroll to Boston common.
Good shops, bars, restaurants and a small supermarket with a great wine cellar nearby.
WiFi and an excellent breakfast included in the room rate.
Strongly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jivechris
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Had the pleasure of staying here for 3 nights over the Easter holiday season, and all I can say is that it was ideal. Superb location in the heart of the great boutique shops and cafes of Newbury Street while being short works to all of Bostons lovely attractions (Boston Common, Beacon Hill ext..) But perhaps the best thing I can say about the Newbury Guesthouse is that it feels quintessentially Boston, and in my personal opinion much better than the bland and boring chain hotels that our also available at a similar price bracket.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank RossMarkW
Wellford
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Spent 4 nights here. It is a charming inn in the middle of all the action. We were within walking distance of everything/ or close to the T that we could get where we needed to be without any trouble. We had a quiet, comfortable room on the fourth floor ( yes, there is an elevator). The breakfast each morning was very good......just wish offerings varied. Rather pricey, but I guess location and season played a part in that.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paula M
Silver City, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This place is in a good location, but the hotel is shabby and needs a lot of work. Our room faced the alley and there were chunks of peeling paint falling off the ceiling in the bathroom. The carpet in the reception area and up the stairs looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in days.

The breakfast was mediocre, and the girl at reception was somewhat surly. Shop around!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sue m
Grand Cayman
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here for one night and wished we had more time.

We just finished a half-tri in NH so we were too exhausted for too much exploring. We were on the door step of everything we wanted and needed.

Its close to the subway system and the park is close enough for a quick stroll.
The restaurants are a great place to relax and people watch and many of the shops are unique to Boston.

Breakfast was ok, it was a "creperie" so I was disappointed when there was only the usual "breakfast included spread".

Parking was great and the staff were helpful. Price wise it was what I expected for what I got.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leandraky
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for Sox game close to Fenway and great shopping! Hotel clean. Great buffet breakfast included. Didn't spend much time on the room but clean and very comfortable mattress. Parking easy and guest house has its own lot.

• Stayed August 2013