“Nice hotel, great area”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stratham, New Hampshire, United States
“Nice hotel, great area”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed for my first time at the Fairmont Copley Plaza on business, and I found it to be a nice hotel in a convenient area of Back Bay. The King room was spacious, with a small walk-in closet, and good-sized bathroom. The lighted mirror was a nice touch in the bathroom as well. This is an older hotel, but it definitely retains its charm. The staff was very friendly, which is always a nice touch. The wireless Internet connection is not free, and is slow, so if you don't need it, don't waste the money. The hotel is good for an extended stay, and is convenient to many of the downtown areas of Boston (Back Bay, Fenway, Theater District, etc.).

Room Tip: A high floor is always a plus
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mays Landing
Reviewed 14 November 2013

A recent visit to Boston included a stop at the Fairmont Hotel at Copley Plaza. My friends and I were able to experience the hospitality of the Fairmont on the Gold Floor. Thanks to Connie for doing an amazing job helping guests to thoroughly enjoy their stay!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. I’m very happy to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us! I especially appreciate your kind comment about my colleague, Connie, and I have shared your praise with her and the rest of the team here at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. Thank you, again, and I hope we’ll get to welcome you back soon.
London
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed 4 nights at The Fairmont Copley Plaza, being Silver Fairmont Members we had some vouchers to use for upgrades and a free night. We made our booking directly through the The Fairmont booking line. They were very efficient (as always).

A few days prior to us arriving we had an email from the Guest Relations Manager, Nicholas Bourikas, who wrote to say if there was anything he could do to make our stay easier then he would be happy to help us. After sending him an email, he replied with lots of great ideas (especially for restaurants) which we did take him up on. We actually met Nicholas (he drove us to the Island Creek Oyster Bar - a restaurant we can highly recommend), he is a really nice person and certainly knows Boston!

Upon arrival at the hotel we were warmly welcomed by the front desk staff. We were not shown to our room as we only had a couple of cases so were happy to make our own way there. We were located on the 2nd floor in a corner suite (Freedom trail Suite). We were left some lovely little gifts in our room (toffee fudge, some bath roses - although we did not have a bath! and a fragranced candle) just to make our stay even more special!

The room consisted of a living room that was decorated in lovely soft shades of grey on the floor and walls. There was 1 sofa and 2 chairs in the room along with a desk and chair. Access to WiFi was easy to connect to. There was a bar fridge, although full, there was also extra space for drinks that you had bought yourself. There was also a coffee maker which is great when you want an early morning coffee (I like fresh milk which I am sure would of been catered for if I wanted to ask for it but did not bother).

The bedroom consisted of a King Bed with the softest linens and fluffy pillows and duvets. The beds were so comfortable I think they are in the top 2 beds I have ever slept on in a hotel. The hotel provided a turndown service, housekeeping came usually every evening around 18:30, which we thought was a little early - used to it being done while we are out having dinner. There was plenty of space for suitcases and additional purchases during our stay.

The bathroom was well equipped with lovely Rose 31 toiletries, soft fluffy towels and robes as well as the essential hairdryer.

There were fabulous views across Copley Square and the Trinity Church.

DOWN SIDE: There was an adjoining door in our living room and the guests in the other room on our 1st evening had a small child who was very upset and cried a lot, then the next morning was very loud (along with its parents shouting at the child). 2 nights later there was a very loud guest, who either was on a very high energy phone call or was not impressed with the football scores he was watching! Thankfully we were able to shut our bedroom door to close out the noise.

We used the concierge service a few times to book restaurants, they were very helpful and we managed to get into all the places we wanted to eat at.

We had a couple of drinks down at the Oak Bar one evening, it was very busy but were able to get seats at the bar. Unfortunately my husband cut his lip on one of the glasses as it must of been chipped when the cocktail was being poured in from the shaker, which was a bit of shame.

Of course staying at the Copley also means you get to experience the historic building itself, which has so many beautiful features. We took a little look around one evening and thought some of the function rooms were absolutely beautiful.

Then no stay at the Copley would be complete without meeting Catie (or Karla) Copley. We were very pleased to meet Catie on our last day at the Copley making our trip complete!

Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jennifer Z, Area Manager, Internet Marketing at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Hello and thank you for your review! I’m thrilled to hear that you and your family had a great stay, overall – Especially that you were so impressed with our Guest Relations Manager, Nicholas. I look forward to sharing your praise with him and the rest of our team. I also appreciate you letting us know what happened at the bar, as that is simply unacceptable. I’ve shared your post with our Restaurant Manager, as I think your experience represents a valuable training opportunity for our colleagues. I do apologize for this oversight, though it sounds like you enjoyed your visit very much overall. Thank you, again, for your post.
New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont for one night this past Saturday to attend a sorority function for my daughter. The service was wonderful and the lobby elegant. The rooms were average size and nicely decorated and clean. The bar is a zoo as stated in the other reviews but the service, although slow trying to get through the standing crowd, was nice. It is long and narrow so when it is crowded, you can barely walk through. They should give priority to guests for tables for dining. The one surprise was when we got back from the evening, there had not been any turn down service or fresh towels since we had used ours earlier. Given the price and "luxury" rating, I assumed we would have new towels. My husband and I did find the beds uncomfortable, the mattresses were hard but that maybe a plus for some.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Copley Square otherwise you might be right across from a building looking into the...
Ringoes, NJ
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Enjoyed our recent stay at the Fairmont Copley. We were visiting Northeastern University with two 18 year olds and stayed here for the weekend. One room was on the 4th Floor, due to membership in the Gold level Fairmont program. What a great lounge! It felt like home. The breakfast was great and the snacks were superb! You could almost NOT go out for meals and just dine there; there was that much food to choose from! The staff was so helpful and considerate. The concierge assisted in finding us great places to eat in the North End, even though we needed last minute reservations. (Mamma Maria and Mare were both great.)

The only issue I had was with the heating system. It was impossible to cool off the room; it appears that it can only be turned to "heat", this time of year. Thankfully, this hotel has windows that OPEN!!! We simply cracked the windows, turned off the heat, and were totally comfortable!

The kids were unable to be upgraded to the 4th floor, but they enjoyed their room on the 5th. They especially liked the resident dog in the lobby. We checked out the fitness center and wished we had brought our workout clothing. Next time!

We had cocktails in the Oak bar downstairs. It was very crowded, but we were able to snare two seats at the bar after only a few minutes. It's a very busy bar, great for people watching!

We would definitely return. It is an easy walk to Newberry Street, Charles Street, Boston Common, Beacon Hill, lots of sights. We cabbed it to the North End and to Quincy Market.

Room Tip: Joint the Fairmont Program and ask for the 4th floor.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful and the service is outstanding. One example is that I had requested a quiet room when I booked the reservation. Not only were we given a room away from elevators and ice machines, but the front desk clerk ensured our room faced the hotel interior and was down a hall seldom travelled. Our room was clean, comfortable, and had more space than we expected for a historic hotel (and my husband has TV envy since the flatscreen TV was bigger than the one we have in our house).

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stay at the The Fairmont Copley Plaza in Boston frequently as its my hotel of choice in Boston where I go to work sometimes on a monthly basis. I am always deeply satisfied with the rooms, service, amenities and friendly demeanor of the staff, but my most recently experience was beyond compare and worth noting here. I alerted the Front Desk Manager Nick OrRico that I would be bringing my family this time which includes two small children. He went to great lengths to make sure we had the perfect room for our family, and set up a Catie Copley welcome gift in our room that thrilled our 2 and 4 year old children. It set the tone for our stay, and we had a fabulous time. This hotel has spacious rooms with touches of luxury and elegance, a respectful staff and the bar/restaurant, fitness center and other amenities that should please any discerning traveler. But I want to give a special shout-out to Nick in this review as he well exceeds my expectations for hotel staff.

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade to concierge/gold floor its worth it. The suites are terrific for fam...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, from your room and amenities to the service and staff. Nick is a great asset to our leadership team and I look forward to sharing your praise with him and the rest of my colleagues! I’m thrilled that your family had such a wonderful time. Thank you, again, for your post and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.