“Extraordinary Gold Floor service”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I stayed on the Gold Floor for the Boston Marathon long weekend. The Gold floor concierge/service personnel are truly exceptional; each one is sweeter, friendlier and more helpful than the last. While the hotel physical plant is "older", built in 1912, the exceptional service from the Fairmont Gold staff at Copley Plaza more than compensate and made this a truly memorable stay, for a truly memorable event (the 2014 Boston Marathon).

Room Tip: Gold Floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jennifer Z, Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your visit over Marathon weekend - certainly one of the most exciting times to be in Boston! In particular, it's great to hear that you found my colleagues friendly and helpful, and the team on Fairmont Gold "exceptional." Thank you, again, for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I have never been moved to write a review prior to this stay. I had high hopes upon seeing the lobby, which is something in and of itself.

Hopes were quickly dashed upon arriving at my room, which was claustrophobic in scale and had more layers of paint on the trim and doors than a dilapidated college apartment rental. The bath tub was ancient and streaked with yellow.

The real justification for 1 star was not visual, however, but audible. Despite specifically requesting a quiet room, I was immediately besieged by a cacophony of noise. Noise from the street, even on the 5th floor. Noise from the slow and painfully rattling air conditioning system, loud enough to prevent me from being able to use it overnight. And most bothersome of all, noise from anything any of my neighbors did, either in the hallway or in their own rooms. The walls are so paper thin that an adjacent room's wake up call had me reaching for my phone to answer it. Every text message received, toilet flushed, or shower taken by those in rooms around me reverberated in my own room louder than I ever thought could be possible. And I have spent many years living amongst the noise of New York, so that is a claim I do not make lightly.

As someone who craves quiet for sleep, this was hands down the single worst hotel experience of my extensively travelled life. I imagine staying in a hostel would have been more restful.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
10  Thank Cakkc

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm very sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay. I have shared your post with our Director of Rooms, as well as our Hotel Manager, for further review.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Check in and out were a breeze staff very personal able hotel was very charming felt very at home loved the room had everything we needed great decor . From New York now will be spending more time in Boston

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Michael,
Thank you for your post. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit - and that we may have converted you into a Boston fan! I look forward to sharing your comments with our team. Thank you, again.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Loved the location. Easy to get around and see the highlights of Boston on a short time schedule
The room was on the small side, and hallway noise was a little loud
The concierge was great with helping to get baseball tickets

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed as a family for 6 nights in April 2014. The hotel has a fantastic location - we were able to get to 2 different line subway stations within 5 minutes and getting to both downtown,Newbury Street, Fenway and Boston Common were all easy walks. |The hotel is a grand place without being snobby. Our room (401) was spacious, well cleaned and the internet options/equipment were excellent. Comfy bed and modern spacious bathroom. We had a gold level floor and that was the icing on the cake - we had breakfast and tea time snacks there most days and enjoyed this immensely. A little oasis in the city. All the Gold staff were brillinat in osrting out any queries - our onward travel arrnagements for example. Proctive people and nothing too much trouble. The serving staff were priompt and friendly. Specal mention for Alison Jones on the reception - a hardworking excellent asset for the hotel. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel from strat to finish and will return when next in Boston.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit, from our central location to our well-appointed guest rooms. It sounds like you especially enjoyed the extra amenities available on Fairmont Gold - in particular, I am sure Alison and the team will be thrilled to know that they made your stay such a memorable one.

Thank you, again, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed for several days while looking at a college in the area. We happened to be there during the Marathon weekend and this hotel housed the elite runners. It was an exciting time to be staying. The hotel is beautiful to be sure. Our room, a deluxe double queen, was large and well appointed. The windows opened about 4 inches and we were able to let in fresh air, which I love. However, although we were on the top floor (6th), there was a lot of traffic noise on a weeknight, but not so bad on the weekend. Not the hotels fault. The problem we encountered was each night at 12:30 - 1:30 and again each morning around 8:30, our room filled with cigarette smoke, which I hate. This is a non-smoking hotel, so I reported it each morning, asking to be relocated 2 of the mornings. The front desk said they didn't have a double queen room available, as it was a busy marathon weekend. Understandable, BUT I checked the hotel's website and sure enough it showed that double queen rooms were available. This leaves me wondering which was true. No way of knowing at this point and because of this. I feel customer service was lacking and I wasn't valued as a customer. Since my daughter will be attending school here for the next 4 and possibly 5 years, we will be visiting fairly often. I don't think I will book here again due to the lack of customer service. Plenty of other very nice hotels in the area.

By the way, the fitness center was fabulous! Join the President's Club, otherwise there is an internet charge, which is ridiculous. Also, there is a charge to use their printers/computers to print boarding passes, at a minimum rate of $5.00. Even more ridiculous, considering the price of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Colleen T

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. While Marathon weekend is certainly a very busy time, I do apologize as it sounds like we missed the mark on a few things. I'd like to assure you that I've shared your post with our Hotel Manager, Angie Clifton, in order to further review your comments.

Thank you, again, for your post.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I absolutely love this hotel!! I was lucky enough to get a room during the marathon weekend, and despite the hotel being very busy each staff member treated me like I was the only guest there. I was so impressed with the view I had facing Copley Square! It is very hard to mention one staff member for their amazing hospitality, but Jennifer at the front desk was very helpful. Jennifer was able to answer all my questions and was very respectful towards me. As a platinum member I will continue to come back to Copley Plaza due to the friendliness of Jennifer and the entire staff! Also if you can upgrade to Gold, the benefits include Breakfast, snacks and desserts. It is truly worth the upgrade!

• Stayed: April 2014