“Beautiful, elegant hotel in great location - was expecting room to be better”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I work in Copley Square, and had team meetings and events after work, so I got a hotel room here on a Tuesday night. I have picked up my bus across the street from the Fairmont for years, and was always impressed by its outside appearance. The interior did not disappoint - it's beautiful, elegant, and well-staffed. The room itself left a bit to be desired.

I checked in early afternoon before returning to my office. The front desk staff was very prompt and courteous, as they were this morning when I checked out.

The room itself was spacious, and at one point, very elegantly appointed. I was in a King junior suite, which featured a king size bed, sitting area, and a large bathroom with separate tub and shower. The decor in the room was attractive, but there were stains and marks on almost everything. There was a large stain on the carpet in the middle of the sitting area (which had absolutely no view from the windows, which was fine for me since I work in the area), multiple stains on the couch in the sitting area, and what looked like chocolate residue and crumbs on the bench at the end of the bed.

My husband found some trash that was sitting in between the wall and bedside table when we were trying to find plugs for our cell phones. I was surprised at the condition of the room and some of the furniture (the dresser in the room was really beat up looking) because I seem to remember this hotel being renovated recently.

When my husband and I returned to my room around 9:30pm, we noticed there were no bottles of water anywhere, even in the mini fridge. My husband called down to the front desk to see if we were supposed to have anything in the room, and the front desk girl said she thought so, wasn't sure, and if there wasn't we should call room service. It was frustrating, and not wanting to wait and pay extra for someone to just bring us some water, we ended up just drinking tap water. We ordered breakfast in the morning, and thought it was overpriced even by Boston standards - $96 for 2 American breakfasts (juice, coffee, eggs, bacon and toast) and one bowl of fresh fruit, plus delivery charge/tax/gratuity.

Overall, it's a beautiful hotel in a great location, but I was expecting more. I've had better stays elswehere in Boston, and I was glad that this was a company paid expense. Next time I stay in Boston for work or just for fun, I would not likely book this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SaraBoston
Jennifer Z, Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hello Sara,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm disappointed to hear that we missed the mark on a few things during your stay. I'd like to assure you that your post has been shared with our Director of Rooms, in order to facilitate further internal review of standards with our colleagues. Thank you, again, for your post.

Area Manager, Internet Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (3,337)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a great weekend stay at The Fairmont Copley Plaza which got off to a pleasant start when we were upgraded to their 'Gold' floor upon arrival. This gave us access to a private restaurant with an excellent complimentary breakfast, a charming honour-bar for evening drinks and a dedicated concierge.

I would describe the property as 'traditional' (some would say 'old fashioned') but it's none the worse for the slightly dated decor. You get the sense that you're staying in a well-known and much-loved Boston landmark and there's certainly a lot to like about the location: it's perfectly situated for exploring Boston on foot and also offers easy access to the underground metro system.

Of particular note was the superb concierge team on the 4th floor whom secured us a wonderful table at one of the City's most popular restaurants on 24-hours notice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BenHud

Hello,
Thank you for your post! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit, from our central location to the exceptional service on the Fairmont Gold floor. We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back to Boston soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Always stay here when we're in Boston. The gold level is the best. Great room. Staff is wonderful. Drinks, breakfast and hors d'oeuvres were excellent. Well worth the cost. Great location close to subway. Within walking distance of Boston commons. We drove this time and had no problems with traffic.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Connie H
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my wife and son. The hotel has an ancient majestic feel to it. The bellman was very friendly and the check in process went rather smoothly. The service at the restaurant could be improved, with more attention to detail. The movies option were not available on the two days that we stayed here. The gym was clean and had modern equipment. Overall some of the staff did not appear to be enthusiastic of their jobs! The hotel is very well located and it was easy to get around central Boston by foot.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 615Sudbury

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. Though it sounds like you enjoyed your stay overall, I'm disappointed to hear that we missed the mark on a few things. I have shared your post with our Restaurant Manager as your comments could represent a valuable training opportunity for our colleagues. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I was at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Boston for a large business gathering hosted by my company. As a President's Club Member (and employee of the sponsoring organization), I was comped a junior suite (and WiFi). It was very spacious and well-equipped. The cocktail receptions, luncheons and dinners were excellent, as were the refreshment breaks. I had to bring my pet Papillon puppy with me and found the hotel to be very pet friendly, with on-site doggie day-care. The location is right in the heart of downtown Boston, with many attractions within walking distance. Bell staff, parking valets, front desk staff and housekeepers couldn't be nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking Copley Square.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a quick weekend getaway. We stayed on the fourth floor (for gold members). I have never received better service in my life! Everything was perfect from the personal check in we received on the fourth floor, the room, the complimentary cocktails, and I could go on and on about the breakfast and evening horderves they serve just for the fourth floor guest. For the turn down service we came back to our room with mints on the pillows, bottles waters on our nightstand, and classical music playing from the Bose system.

The staff were great! So helpful in finding places we would like to visit and see. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone... family, couples, business. Great place to stay! Also, don't forget to say hi to Catie Copley the hotels mascot! You can even take her for a walk in the courtyard across the street from the hotel. We did, well actually Catie walked us!

Happy Travels!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your weekend getaway - especially, that my colleagues on the Gold floor took such excellent care of you! Thank you, again, for your post.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We only stayed for just a weekend. Upon our travel agent's recommendation, it was a complete surprise to arrive at such an impressive hotel, we didn't even know what the place looked like. We got a great room rate and thought it would be a 'standard' hotel... until we arrived!! Our jaws dropped.. we thought we were in the movies; it was so grand. The decor and decorations were a throwback in time, it felt like how it would have back in the day, but with a modern feel. Whilst checking in it was fantastic to be not only greeted by extremely professional, yet warm staff, but also by Catie - the Copley's canine ambassador. She was a highlight over our stay, meeting us as we came and went. Our room was clean, spacious and luxurious; we could not have asked for more or better. The hotel is really conveniently located next to the Boston Public Library and is so near everything else that you want to be near. The hop on hop off trolley was perfect for us to get on and off right across the street. I really can't give this hotel a more glowing recommendation. When we go back to Boston, we are 100% going to stay there again. I doubt you will be disappointed should you stay there too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamesDemetrie

Hello James
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, from our grand public spaces to your comfortable guest room. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.