“Rude”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I stayed in the hotel with my friends for my birthday. We were five girls who put in the extra effort to make sure we didn't stand out but because we were young almost all the employees were rude and unwelcoming to us. We were waiting in the Oak Room Bar for 20 minutes while the servers and managers looked us over and checked and rechecked our legal id's. They took so long that we took it upon ourselves to take our business elsewhere.Reception wasn't very helpful either, they made us seem like a burden to them. In fact, the only polite people in the hotel were the doormen, valet, and the maintenance man who fixed our broken shower.
Over all the hotel is beautiful and the rooms were well kept but the lack of hospitality of the staff is a real turn off especially if you are paying that much for a room. I will never return to that hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank northgoddess88

Reviewed 3 June 2010

The location of this hotel is terrific. There are lots of interesting things to see & do within walking distance. There is a subway station around the corner, so it's easy to get to other areas of the city. The lobby was beautiful and the rooms were nice, and clean.

However, I feel like the price of their rooms is for the location. There aren't any amenities included in the price. Internet: $14/day. Parking: $35/day in a parking garage a few block away. Continental breakfast $21. No pool. There is a mini fridge in the room, but it's filled with costly beverages.

I was going in & out with 2 young children, while my husband was at a conference, and so I was dressed very casually. I felt like I was treated less courteously than those who were in business attire. Apparently, there is an unspoken dress code for the lobby.

After staying at the Fairmont, we met up with more family and stayed at a hotel in Burlington, MA. It cost a significant amount less, had more amenities, more space, and the staff was friendlier. We won't stay at the Fairmont again.

3  Thank Mom_with_young_boys
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We had a great time at this nicely kept up hotel that has not been modernized to death but is stately and beautiful. They even have a dog to greet you. One thing however...for a luxurious hotel they nickel and dime you for computer access. 14.00/day for room use. Then I wanted to print out my airline pass but forgot my password and they wanted me to swipe my credit card so I could get onto the internet to retrieve it. No I couldn;t use any of the hotel computers etc...

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
SWTravelerBoston, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2010

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to having you back with us again very soon.

For your next visit, I wanted to let you know that HSIA is complimentary for members of Fairmont Presidents Club (FPC), and since there here is no cost to join FPC I would recommend it for your future stays. In addition, our concierge desk is always delighted to print out boarding passes for guests so I hope that you will utilize their services on your next trip.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 29 May 2010

Stayed at the Fairmont last weekend (21st to the 24th) with my wife and infant son. Very easy check-in; upgraded to a King room from a Queen room with no hassles. The room was very spacious, clean and a crib had already been brought to the room for our convenience. During our three day stay, we found the staff to be very helpful, courteous and always available to assist; in particular the concierge, room service and cleaning staff. We have been to Boston numerous times and have stayed mainly at the Lenox, however, no rooms were available this weekend so we thought we would give the Fairmont a try and we were not disappointed. To be frank, I have read some of less than positive reviews of this hotel and emphatically disagree with their review. This elegant hotel is in a great location, has excellent staff and the rooms are spacious, quiet and clean (what more could you ask for?). We didn't eat in the dining room but our room service food (presumably from the Oak room) was excellent. No complaints whatsoever, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Boston and wishing to stay in the Back Bay area. Forgot to mention......the beds are very comfortable!!!!!

2  Thank DLS69
Reviewed 26 May 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 3 days with teenage son recently. It is very well located in central Copley square, only 1 block each from both the Green and Orange lines of the "T". I should add that the subway is the best way to get around Boston. Anyone willing to compete with the aggressive drivers is nuts. The hotel is old and ornate, with a beautiful lobby, but it's aging and the Deluxe room we had was a little tired and faded. The bathroom was small with a door that would not fully close and the walk in closet had a defective light that they could not fix. The hotel was busy and noisy with lots going on like meetings, proms, etc. so be prepared. I also thought the staff, particularly the concierges were not that friendly or extremely helpful. The hotel has one very formal restaurant and no casual coffee shop, so we ended up having breakfast at a Starbucks on the corner. Bottom line: We paid a discounted corporate rate so I was happy with the value received. But I would fell differently if I had paid the rack rate.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank flunie

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to The Fairmont Copley Plaza. While we were delighted to see that you found our location a good one for your visit, I was disappointed to see your feedback about our service. We strive to provide our guests with a high level of service and comfort and apologize if this didn't meet your expectations. I also apologize for the imperfections in your guest room - our engineering team works diligently to keep our historic hotel beautiful and well maintained, and I will certainly share this feedback with our team. Again, thank you for your feedback. We do hope that you'll consider The Fairmont Copley Plaza for a future trip to Boston.

Reviewed 19 May 2010

We booked our hotel online, reserved and confirmed a King Deluxe room. We've stayed at this hotel before and know that these rooms are quite nice.

Greeted with a smile by desk clerk, who handed us keys. When we got to the room, it was very small with one queen bed. Went back to front desk, spoke to a different clerk who told us there were no king deluxe rooms available. No explanation or apology for why we were not told that the room we'd reserved was unavailable upon initial check in. He offered us free breakfast if we'd just stay in the standard queen at the same price for the king we'd reserved.

Meanwhile, I was eavesdropping on the conversation the first clerk was having with another guest, who wanted a room change due to loud AC unit. She offered to show this guest a different KING SIZE room which was available at the other end of the hall from her original room.

Clerk said he might have a king for us, but would have to check with his manager. We asked him to please check, but suddently he simply produced a set of keys to a deluxe king room.

This was a nice room, but it was a handicapped room. No mention of this fact by the desk clerk. Did he think perhaps we wouldn't notice? The shower has no lip or edge, the water simply drains into the middle of the bathroom floor. I prefer a tub and shower, but was not inclined to complain until I realized that we had been given only two towels. Yes, two. If I need to wipe up the bathroom floor after using the shower, then I need more towels.

Bottom line, we felt we had not been dealt with fairly. Honesty really is the best policy. If the clerk had explained when we first checked in that there were no king deluxe rooms, offered an apology plus a discount to the going rate for the room they wanted us to take, we wouldn't have been so annoyed. This is classic bait and switch, which feels out of character for the Fairmont Copley.

We spoke to a manager who did apologize and offer a free stay in the future.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank newengland10

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. Your candid feedback is valuable, and we apologize for the difficulties you encountered during your stay. This unfortunate experience is not typical of our hotel, as you've also noted based on your past stays. I have shared your feedback with our operations team who will certainly take these comments as an opportunity to improve service. I hope that you will be back to give the hotel another try in the future. Thank you, again.

Reviewed 10 May 2010

We stayed at this hotel from the sixth to the ninth of May. It is a decent hotel..no doubt. We (me and the missus) arrived at 8 AM and the rooms were not ready..Understandably. She had to go for her medical conference for the whole day. I wandered through Boston and came back and they refused to let me go to the room unless my wife was there. Finally at 7 PM she was back and my 14 hour day was over. That may be understandable since she had booked the rooms.. Security etc. But the fact that the rooms were not cleaned even once in our three day stay is beyond the pale. We did not make a big issue on checking out though maybe we should have. A very nice Hotel if you have a room on the fourth floor..I guess.

2  Thank pontevecchio59