“Will never stay here again!”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I travel frequently to the Boston area, and this is the first time I have stayed at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. Yes, it is beauftiful when you arrive, but the first words out of the valet's mouth were Yeah, that will be $42 a night to take your car. Really!? I travel a lot..and that price is outrageous..especially since I was staying with a rate of $167.00 a night...it does add up! I was greeted by a wonderful staff, and when I arrived in my room, I found they put me in a room that was for handicap acess, which I did not request or need. I could not hang up my clothes in the closet due to the bar being low, and the shower was for wheelchair access...great for a wheel chair,but for me, it was water all over the floor! I also went to grab a robe...which was well worn, almost threadbare, with lipstick on it from the last guest....even the towels were thin and needed replacement. I proceeded to log onto my computer to finish some work, and I was forced to pay $14.00 for 24 hour access!! Really.????.even the small inexpensive hotels never charge....I was shocked..in all my travels I have never had to pay! Then when I went down to the business center to print out my boarding pass for the next day flight...I had to swipe a credit card to use the computer! I feel like I was nickel and dimed to excess...and when I came back from breakfast my room had been cleaned..there was no fresh tolietries...and the water glass I had by the bed the night before was still there, and the ice bucket was left with the melted ice, and the top on the floor!! Yeah...great attention to detail for a luxury hotel! I have always stayed at the Back Bay Hotel down the street, but was lured by the $40 price difference...which as you can read was sucked up by valet and internet access in no time..never again will I stay here!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Henryboy
SWTravelerBoston, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. I was disappointed to see that your stay did not meet with your expectations and have shared your feedback with our operations team. I did however want to provide some clarification with regard to the charges you reference. Internet access is complimentary for members of Fairmont Presidents Club, which is free to join, and in terms of boarding passes our concierge desk is always happy to assist with printing our boarding passes for no charge. We do apologize for the difficulties you encountered, and please understand that this is not the typical guest service experience at our hotel. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,309)

Reviewed 8 July 2010

Wow, this place is tops. The staff even put up with my dogs who were not well behaved for this trip. The lobby is over the top elegant. The staff was pleasant. Free valet parking included (which isn't advertised). The garage is an easy walk if you need something. The room was very nice and all updated (marble baths), but not large. The wedding we attended was beautiful in the architecture of this wonderful building, only the elegance of a bygone revealed its history (not a hint of old). No back ache the next morning. Based on the location, luxury and dog tolerance, I would rate this a good value.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2010

This is my second stay at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Boston. My previous was in Jan. 2009. Both experiences had been very positive. I loved their friendly staff rarely found on deluxe hotels.
My queen bedded room was perfect for me, lovely furnishings. I enjoyed the large mirrors on the closet's doors and the plush robes/ towels. Being my second stay I did not have to pack my own toiletries knowing their Miller Harris toiletries were there, waiting for me :-) (You can purchase them at their gift shop)
The restaurant service was very good and so the room service. Food was excellent on both sites.
I truly like the hotel location.
Concierge service was great and I loved the restaurant suggestion.
If you have walking issues ask for a room near the elevator.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Maria55113

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel - and the Miller Harris products - and hope that you will be back to visit us again soon. Thank you again.

Reviewed 28 June 2010

Stayed in Boston for 2 nights whilst on a road trip and rate this hotel as one of the best, front desk were excellent and attentive & went out of their way due to the room allocated being not quite ready for us & offering us a very welcome complimentary bar drink, would most definately rebook if I visited Boston again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BullitU_k
Reviewed 26 June 2010

It was my fourth time back at this hotel (gold floor, the best!) and every time it surprises me with its excellence! The room was pure luxury, with all the state of the art facilities, food was really good from breakfast to evening canapés and I really appreciate the all day coffee and cookies available.
But what makes the real difference are the amazing people who work there, They remember you after months, they greet you, welcome you back and help you out in any way they can making your stay an unforgettable one with the perfect mix of luxury and warmth. I was travelling solo and they made me feel at home, thanks to you all.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank vanderluyden
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Stayed here for three nights. Grand elegant hotel, the entrance hall is stunning, spacious rooms, excellent location, good service, no complaints. It is an excellent place to stay when visiting Boston. If you want to have breakfast, book a package because prices are high when you have to order separately at the Oak room. If not, we had an excellent breakfast at Trident Bookshop and Cafe nearby (it is 3 blocks though). We had our foldable bikes with us which was very convenient and the concierge was very helpful with storing them every evening. Parking is pricey... 42$ a night for Valet parking. The house dog, Catie Copley, added extra charm to our stay and our daughters really enjoyed that.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I recently stayed here 1 night and so appreciate the attentiveness of the staff. My bag was delayed from the airport (I can't say I am a big fan of US Airways delivery service; took 11 hours to get a bag from its arrival in Boston to a hotel not that far from Logan), but the staff at the hotel was amazingly considerate and provided all the help and necessities, even before I would think to ask for it. Plus a cute doggie in the lobby, what a great place! Rooms were nice, very soundproof, very wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business