“Grande hotel with lots of class, if you can afford it.”

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2010

The hotel is in a central location and convenient to great restaurants and bars in the Back Bay area. The hotel isn't for those that want a modern hotel, but it has alot of class, charm and an "old money feel." The employees were friendly and helpful. I reserved a dining room for a party of 13 in the Wine Room portion of the Oak Room restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was unequaled at any restaurant I've ever been to. I've taken customers out to dinner dozens of times per year for the last 15 years in restaurants from San Franciso to NYC and the service at the FCP was unequaled. Gold level breakfast is superior too. Just be ready to pay for a ridiculous parking rate and a room rate that's about $100 more than popular business chains.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank PJGer
SWTravelerBoston, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2010

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and most especially that our service exceeded your expectations. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back for a future stay. Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston

Reviewed 15 July 2010

I stayed in the Boston Symphony suite on the Gold Floor. I got a great online price. It was worth it. I had no complaints. Professional concierges. Outstanding housekeeping. The room was very comfortable, well-decorated and well-maintained. Rooms were huge. The Gold Floor lounge is a very pleasant and handy convenience. They got the bill right! I wasn't nickled and dimed at every turn, which made me feel unthinkingly pampered. Hotels never seem to get that, but the Fairmont does, at least on the Gold Floor. Room service selection was a little limited, but not terrible and not overpriced. Plus Boston is such a great city. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank pqowieuryt
Reviewed 13 July 2010

This was my second stay at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. We chose it for it's proximity to the Esplanade for the 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular. Cannot imagine ever staying anywhere else in Boston!

Our Signature Park View room was large, even with the extra comfortable roll-away bed. The bathroom was recently remodeled and very roomy. Gotta love Fairmont's "Miller & Harris" toiletries!

Postcard perfect views of Copley Square, the Boston Public Library, and Trinity Church from the large windows.

Prompt and polite valets (and $42 is the average rate in central Boston - disregard previous complaints).

Free hi-speed internet for Fairmont President's Club members (free membership - join now!).

Excellent and efficient check in staff, welcoming us with an unplanned early check in without hesitation.

Special mention to Joe the bellhop for hauling our mounds of luggage!

And, thank you again to the concierge staff - Jim, Vincent, Sean and Dragana. All your recommendations for tours, restaurants, directions, and your helpful information were spot on. You are by far the best concierge team I've enjoyed anywhere in the world, bar none.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank TheEasyGoingGuy

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Fairmont Copley Plaza. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback in this forum.

Reviewed 13 July 2010

I recently stayed at The Fairmont Copley Plaza-Boston for a conference. As a whole, the hotel is very classical that reflects the elegance from the early 20th century. I thought the staff was very friendly--check-in and check-out were smooth, any concerns/questions were handled promptly and sufficiently.

My room itself was small overall (including the bathroom; especially the closet), but had enough room to roam. The only issue was related to the air conditioner and thermostat in the room. The temperature was set as low as 40 degrees, but for some reason, the room had a very difficult time flushing out any heat and humidity. The engineering staff did their best to try to correct the situation, but with any classic building, the concern cannot always be remedied overnight. I suggested to the front desk at check-out to shut down the room for a couple days to try to get the thermostat and air conditioner back in working order. Other than being uncomfortable at times, I understand the complexity of this issue since the building I work at is over 100 years old and has no air conditioning period...just good old fans that work hard to flush out any heat/humidity depending on the air flow outside.

I did not eat/drink in the hotel restaurant/bar per se, but had breakfast in a separate room with my conference acquaintances. Overall, I thought the food was very good. The hotel has a couple shops, but I did not visit them. Catie Copley was in the lobby a couple times, but was resting from the intense heat. She did seem to be visitor friendly, however.

Overall, I thought the hotel was good and would recommend it to the business traveler or tourist looking for elegance. I joined the President's Club and got the complimentary internet service; and the staff members as a whole were attentive. The only amenity that I would like to see added is a pool, which plays a major factor in my hotel selection for leisure.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Viking78
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I enjoyed a 4 night stay here with my husband and one year old. Impressive reception area lead to high expectations...unfortunately we found the room quite cramped by the time we got the travel cot in. Also, room service and breakfast in the Famous Oakroom was overly expensive. On the upside, we really liked the traditional style and feel to the place. It felt like the couples and families we met here had been coming back for years. In terms of location, it was perfect for us- close enough to nice shops and restaurants on Newbury street and great shopping in Copley Place and the Prudential centre.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank retro6

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Fairmont Copley Plaza. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed the hotel's classic ambience and the central Copley Square location. I will certainly pass along your additional feedback to our operations team. Again, thank you for feedback and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2010

My partner and I stayed here for the start of of our USA and Canada tour, it is ideally situated on the edge of the city center area, so only a 5 min walk to Boston common. We were traveling to NYC by train, so it was perfect with the train station just around the corner too. Only one minor criticism, house keeping managed to "throw away" some expensive skin cream I bought for the trip !?

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Max B
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I travel frequently to the Boston area, and this is the first time I have stayed at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. Yes, it is beauftiful when you arrive, but the first words out of the valet's mouth were Yeah, that will be $42 a night to take your car. Really!? I travel a lot..and that price is outrageous..especially since I was staying with a rate of $167.00 a night...it does add up! I was greeted by a wonderful staff, and when I arrived in my room, I found they put me in a room that was for handicap acess, which I did not request or need. I could not hang up my clothes in the closet due to the bar being low, and the shower was for wheelchair access...great for a wheel chair,but for me, it was water all over the floor! I also went to grab a robe...which was well worn, almost threadbare, with lipstick on it from the last guest....even the towels were thin and needed replacement. I proceeded to log onto my computer to finish some work, and I was forced to pay $14.00 for 24 hour access!! Really.????.even the small inexpensive hotels never charge....I was shocked..in all my travels I have never had to pay! Then when I went down to the business center to print out my boarding pass for the next day flight...I had to swipe a credit card to use the computer! I feel like I was nickel and dimed to excess...and when I came back from breakfast my room had been cleaned..there was no fresh tolietries...and the water glass I had by the bed the night before was still there, and the ice bucket was left with the melted ice, and the top on the floor!! Yeah...great attention to detail for a luxury hotel! I have always stayed at the Back Bay Hotel down the street, but was lured by the $40 price difference...which as you can read was sucked up by valet and internet access in no time..never again will I stay here!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Henryboy

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Fairmont Copley Plaza. I was disappointed to see that your stay did not meet with your expectations and have shared your feedback with our operations team. I did however want to provide some clarification with regard to the charges you reference. Internet access is complimentary for members of Fairmont Presidents Club, which is free to join, and in terms of boarding passes our concierge desk is always happy to assist with printing our boarding passes for no charge. We do apologize for the difficulties you encountered, and please understand that this is not the typical guest service experience at our hotel. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.