“John Jeffries Hotel--Good Rates, Great Location”

John Jeffries House
Ranked #9 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Nanuet, New York
“John Jeffries Hotel--Good Rates, Great Location”
Reviewed 26 November 2006

In mid-July, I spent five nights at the John Jeffries House (JJS) in Boston, which was my fourth stay at the hotel. Two of the main reasons that I keep returning to the JJH when I visit Boston are the reasonable room rates and the location.
When I first visited Boston years ago, I researched accommodations and the JJH had the best rates, based on staying in the “standard” room. In each of my previous visits I have stayed in a “standard” room, but this year when I made my reservation, even though it was early May, I was only able to get a standard room for two nights; for the remaining nights, I moved to a “Junior suite.” The standard room cost $129 a night, the suite, $162, a $33 difference.
The standard rooms I have had have been split into two areas: a bedroom with a twin bed, chest of drawers and television (the bathroom is off the bedroom) and a kitchen/sitting room with a closet. The kitchen/sitting room has a sink, stove, refrigerator and a microwave oven, as well as a table and two chairs.
My junior suite was one room, which made it seem more spacious than my standard room. The single room of the suite can be a plus or minus. For example, in the standard room, one can be up and have the lights and not disturb the other party if he or she wants to sleep. The suite had a king-size bed, and, instead of a table and two chairs, it had a couch (the JJH Web site says this couch opens up into a bed, but I did not check), a coffee table and an arm chair. The television was on top of a cabinet that contained a small refrigerator and a microwave oven. There was no stove, which was fine for my purposes. Free wireless Internet access was available.
In addition to its reasonable rates, another plus of staying at the JJH is the location. The JJH is located in Beacon Hill, a pretty and truly charming area. I love its brick buildings with fancy grillwork, overflowing flower boxes and interesting door knockers and its cobblestone streets and gas lamps. The JJH is located at the end of Charles Street where it meets Cambridge Street.
The JJH faces the Charles Street T stop, not the most attractive view as construction work was going on at the time, as it was when I visited two years prior to that. The stop is very convenient if you’d like to take the T to Cambridge. However, as I discovered this trip, you can also climb the stairs next to the T stop and walk over the Longfellow Bridge, which spans the Charles River and takes you into Cambridge (Massachusetts Institute of Technology [MIT]). The bridge, which seems to be very popular with runners, provides a wonderful view of the city, with the gold dome of the State House standing out against the skyline. Those same steps will also lead you along the Charles River to the Hatch Shell, where you can set out your blankets and chairs and enjoy free concerts and movies in the summer.
Turn right around the corner from the JJH into Charles Street, which leads to and goes through the Boston Common. The section of Charles Street between the JJH and the Common (Beacon Street) contains restaurants, markets and antique and other stores. There are also two Starbucks just blocks apart. Café Vanille has great pastries and brioche. (Although the JJH includes muffins, rolls and pastries with its breakfast, I like to buy brioche at Café Vanille for breakfast in my room.) If you’d like to have coffee and dessert later in the evening, Bella Vita stays open later at night (unlike either Starbucks or Café Vanille). Cheers (go down Charles and make a right on Beacon) is also a good place for a late night snack or dessert. Yes, Cheers may be a little touristy but the food is good and the prices are reasonable. (And no, it doesn’t look exactly like the bar on the television show, but that’s because the Bull and Finch—the place’s original name—was there before the television show and used by the show to create its bar).
Charles Street has an assortment of small shops, a convenience store, a drug store and a video store. A new chocolate store, located off Charles Street, had just opened when I visited. If you come out of the JJH and turn right and continue down Cambridge Street, there is a CVS, another video rental store, another Starbucks and more restaurants. Several house museums are located within a few minutes’ walk.
The JJH does not provide parking but there is a garage conveniently located around the corner that gives a discounted rate to JJH guests. Boston calls itself a “walking” city and it truly is. You can park your car in the garage and not take it out until you leave and still see the whole city. If you don’t want to walk, there is the T, which is convenient. But this trip I went from the JJH to MIT in Cambridge, to the Mary Baker Eddy Christian Science Center in Back Bay, to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall, the harbor and the Italian North End and more, all on foot.
Quincy Market has dozens and dozens of stores and restaurants and food stalls. The variety of food choices is so great, you can keep going back and not get bored. Quincy Market is within convenient walking distance of the harbor, where a number of boat tours are available. This trip, I took Liberty Fleet’s Boston Tea Party sail. I had previously taken one of Liberty Fleet’s two-hour schooner sails and greatly enjoyed it but thought maybe the Tea Party sail would be too child-oriented, but this was not the case. The sail is great fun for kids but it’s also fun for adults—with or without kids.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Stayed July 2006
18 Thank LFAN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 November 2006

I’d made the reservations at the hotel over a month ago and was sure that an email correspondence was enough to secure the reservation; unfortunately, when I’d called few days prior to our departure to confirm the reservation, I was informed that our reservation was not confirmed. Naturally, as a frequent traveler, I expect and understand that these mishaps and miscommunications can happen.

However, what came as a surprise to me was the lack of consideration and the indifference the staff’s attitude, as she’d simply told me, “I don’t know what else to tell you; you don’t have a reservation here,” and when I’d proceeded to ask for a manager, she responded coldly, “I’m the only one here; he’s already left for the weekend.” Only when, I’d explained to her of the predicament that we were in, she proceeded to look into finding us another room, as she lectured me on the importance of obtaining a confirmation number in order to secure a hotel reservation.

As mentioned, my husband and I travel frequently to the various parts of the world, and we’ve experience different customs and formalities in taking care of the logistics of our travel, and although I understand that it is the custom of the establishment to secure a reservation with a confirmation from the hotel, I feel that it was the establishment that had dropped the ball in following through with the reservation, as I have emailed you all the necessary information that you’ve requested. However, there was never an apology nor an explanation as to what may have caused a mishap from the staff, instead, I was told to call back as the room that was available was at a higher price level, and I may or may not be able to have it for the price that was quoted.

In all of our travels, I have rarely experienced such incompetence and indifference, especially from a hotel that is so highly regarded by most of the travel journals and publications, and although the location and the conditions, especially the décor and the cleanliness, of the establishment were excellent, it was disappointing to experience such serious lack of consideration for the customers’ needs.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of service, the hotel staff
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gl0betrotter
Reviewed 1 November 2006

Spent five nights here and enjoyed stay. Staff very helpful,room was clean and quiet but small - but you are on ly sleeping here! Great location. Breakfasts disappointing but then we were prepared for that. Would stay again and recommend to others.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — breakfasts
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ITCHINGTON
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 October 2006

Terrific location – Charles Street and beautiful Beacon Hill is literally around the corner, Boston Commons just 10 minutes away by foot. We (3 people) stayed in a junior suite which was very comfortable with a large tv, a sofabed and a kitchenette. The subway is just across the street. A real find in an otherwise very pricey city (at least when it comes to hotels).

• Liked — The location!
  • Disliked — It was a bit cold in the room
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Dolmi
california
Reviewed 26 August 2006

Great location! Just around the corner from Charles Street, a great neighborhood with lots of stores and restaurants. Walking distance to Boston Commons, Cheers etc. Across from metro station, which is on the Red line; which meant we had to transfer to most destinations except to Cambridge (Harvard, MIT). Our room was on the first floor (basement) and was large. We requested a double bed but got two twin put together (not usually an issue but it was our honeymoon). Not really a true B&B; really a small hotel that serves continental breakfast in the common room - no hot food. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chandeb
Croydon
Reviewed 23 August 2006

This is such a great hotel! Situated directly opposite a tube stop, travelling around Boston was so easy. Located in the Beacon Hill district, very quaint shops and little streets. About a 2 minute walk from Boston common and Cheers pub. Room was huge, two single beds, kitchenette (including mini dining table), mahoosive bathroom, all recently renovated. Value for money wise this was great! I really would very strongly recommend John Jeffries House.

• Liked — value for money
  • Disliked — nothing really!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank jyaxley
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2006

This hotel is truly a magnificant gem in Boston. Absolutely exquisite rooms & furnishings. Rooms were great size & extremely clean. Excellent friendly staff. Great morning cont. b/fast. We checked in on 20 July'06 for a 2 night stay. Hotel is right opposite Charles subway station. Walk to central market area in around 20min. Highly recommended!

6 Thank philadams68