“Amazing!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Texas
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in in my life. From the minute I made my reservation, I was treated like royalty. I was in Boston to run the Marathon and decided to splurge a little to reward myself for my hard work. And the hotel was 1 block from the finish line, one from the expo, close to the bus I needed to take to the start, next to a T stop, and had good Italian restaurants (and the whole city) nearby, so the location was perfect. The staff is uniformly wonderful. The front desk even gave me and several guests admission to a private party overlooking the race course, and allowed me a very late check out. The room was gorgeous, the bed divine. The deep soaking tub and bathroom were fantastic. The walk in closet was huge. The room was extremely quiet. I ordered breakfast and a wake up call at 4:30 a.m. the morning of the race and both were performed exactly at that moment. The bell man helped me chase down a cab at a different hotel because Boylston was still closed due to the race. It's that kind of place. You MUST stay here if you are in Boston.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

I was surprised to see some of the really critical comments on the MO Boston. I thought the property was solid.

- Bell staff, reception and concierge on the ball and very friendly
- Rooms were what I would expect. Views aren't great and I don't personally like the choice of sea foam coloring for some of the furnishings but the rooms are solid. Lot's of power outlets in a convenient location by the desk
- Bar and restaurant have nice modern Asian-influenced design. Food and beverage quality is very high

Only negative I experienced was that the bar and restaurant staff were a bit of a mixed bag. Some were clearly grumpy and inattentive. Also, seems they don't cross train so even if someone is available they may not be willing to do something until the "responsible" person shows up -- e.g., "let me find my colleague so that she can seat you" in our empty restaurant.

I'd choose the Four Seasons over this property. The service is much better there.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Japan_Gaijin
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

In a city filled with not a few luxury (and legendary) hotel names, we gave the MO a try, given it's relatively recent opening, and our experiences with other MO properties across the globe. Frankly, I was startled by the lack of attention to detail. The room rate was wrong at check in; the room felt sterile, dull, and easily copied in any corporate hotel in any major city in the US; lamps were broken; and, frankly, we feel it's a bad sign when the best part of the room is the bathroom. I don't sleep in a tub, and I expect a room to feel both welcoming and unique. Having stayed at a number of other top notch Boston properties (Four Seasons, Beacon XV, the Ritz) this felt like a glorified Hyatt. To be fair, the staff is superb (I would expect nothing less); there are an awful lot of channels in the cable selection; and once the lights were out the bed is incredibly comfortable- but that does not make this property unique. Given the price- I expect to be wowed. I was simply warmed- and swiftly interested in moving to one of my previous, favorite properties.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jdfinvenice
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

We traveled on the AMX Platinum card and received an upgrade . . . to a room right next to the service entrance on the floor. After a few hours of jumping every time the service door slamming shut we requested a room change and were put in a very nice room . . . except the water in the shower turned on in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. Management apologized profusely, but did nothing to alter our bill. This year we had an minor problem at the Boston Four Seasons and they gave us the night for free! We have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental New York and San Francisco and had a wonderful experience each time so it made our Boston experience that much more disappointing and surprising. For my money (and it is my money) I would choose the Ritz or the Four Seasons any day.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Taroramen
Newport RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

From the bellman at the door to David at concierge to our gorgeous room for Valentine's weekend we had a marvelous stay. All the attention to details and friendly staff were very much appreciated by us- two inn owners from New England. The restaurant "Asana" within the hotel, was very good for breakfast- part of our weekend package.
We know how difficult it is to run a small property but this hotel is managed like a well oiled machine.
Keep up the great work- we'll be back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Naples Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2009

Stayed her for a long weekend on 12/18 and can't wait to return! The staff are incredible, they remember your name, are extremely outgoing, courteous and friendly and seem genuinely concerned about your stay. The room was outstanding! The bath was probably the most luxurious hotel bath I've seen-miles of granite, rainhead showers etc., etc. The bar off the lobby is the new "hot" place to be, and the restaurants are great! In addition, the hotel provided chauffered car service at our disposal.

While I'm normally a die-hard fan of the Ritz Carlton, unfortunately the remaining one in Boston is in what I would describe as a seedy area, The MO is in a spectacular locale, with everything you would want at your doorstep-in addition, it has interior access to the Prudential Center Mall/Arcade offering nearly 100 shops/restaurants etc.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimInNaples
Albany NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

We booked under the AmEx Platinum Fine Hotel and Resorts Program and were treated like second rate guests being thrown scraps. We were shown to two different rooms that were dirty. The first was strewn with dirty towels and empty bottles and the second smelled like a stale cigar and old beer. At the second room, the bell boy tried to explain that a wedding party had stayed over the weekend. No excuse for an alleged 5 star hotel. It really calls into question the quality of the housekeeping. The room smelled like a "dive bar" and they didn't notice...IT'S A NON SMOKING HOTEL!!! After being traipsed around the hotel from room to room, you would think they would have given us a fabulous upgrade...WRONG. The staff seems to be under the mistaken belief that treating their guests ungraciously somehow passes as being exclusive. We checked out and went to the Ritz where we were treated like valued guests.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business