“Best Hotel in Boston”

Mandarin Oriental, Boston
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 February 2011

The Mandarin's service, style, comfort and attention to detail is superlative. My room was a double double as I was traveling with colleagues and we could not have been treated better - when we asked for extra pillows, they were not only brought to the room within 5 minutes but we had three different choices. Asana's food was modern and delicious and the drinks were creative and wonderful. Although I didn't have time to book a spa service, I did have an hour to myself to relax at the spa and it is the best in Boston for tranquility, amenities and lovely staff. The experience shower and vitality pool are delightful and unexpected. The business center is quiet and stocked with fresh fruit and icy cold water - a nice surprise on a busy day. I cannot praise the hotel more highly (and I know my hotels).

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bostongal_11

Reviewed 1 January 2011

As others have written, the MO is a beautiful property in an ideal location. The rooms are comfortable, immaculate and well laid out. The food at Asana is excellent - and I love the view of Boylston Street from most of the tables. However, the service is young, and not quite up to snuff. Perhaps I'm getting old, but I like professional, elegant service and I did not find it here. When I checked in for breakfast, I was told that without a reservation they could not serve me at any time. After a bit of confusion, "Yes, I was a guest of the hotel," they somehow found a spot for me. Twenty minutes after I sat down, I eyed at least five empty tables - and no one waiting in the bar. They should lose the attitude and try not to pander so much to good looking twenty-somethings - us older folks are usually footing the bill.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ravellodreams
Reviewed 31 December 2010

The moment I walked in through the door you will feel welcomed and at home. The staff is very friendly like I have never seen starting from the door man to the bellhop who escorts you to the room. I stayed in the executive king room. It was very spacious and had all the facilities you need, a 40 inch television with all the channels you need, a sofa as well as a desk space. High speed internet was available for a reasonable price. The bed was very comfortable it was large and they had the most comfortable sheets I've seen thus far in a hotel. The bathroom was very large, it had a shower and a bathtub I was very pleased. the service was excellent they came everyday to clean the room perfectly and in the evening to turn the bed cover to be ready for when you sleep. The restaurant Asana also had a friendly staff and it was designed in a very trendy and stylish way just like their delicious cuisine. Their spa looked very nice and I am very sad that I didn't have the time to go there. finally the location was superb you can access the prudential center mall straight from the elevator and it had all the shops you need. supermarket is 1 block away if you need it as well as the apple store is adjacent to the entrance. Newbury street was 1 minute away which had any shops you need that you couldn't find at the prudential center. The Boston common park is 5 minutes away from you by foot. I'd definitely recommend you to go for a jog / walk along the Charles river its 3-5 minutes away and it has a fabulous view of the river in fall and as well during the winter when its frozen. It has been a wonderful experience for me in Boston and I thank the hotel for making my stay comfortable during those 8 days.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Great new hotel. Located next to prudential, in front of the Apple store. Great staff, rooms and scent throughout the hotel. Would stay here again, however, it is somewhat expensive.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I had stayed previously at the Ritz Carton on Avery on four prior occasions and at the advice of a colleague decided to try the Mandarin Oriental on Boylston. Upon arriving, the doorman, John was chatting it up with a cabbie and didn't respond to my arrival until I was pulling my luggage our of the trunk. Maybe it was because I was driving a Nissan Murano rental versus a Mercedes 450. On check in I was offered evening tea delivered to the room, which I accepted. It never arrived. Had to call in-room dining. After gratuity was paid for bags, doorman handed cart off to bell staff to deliver to the room, requiring gratuity to be paid again. Felt like a conscious double dip on the tip. At about 10:45 pm I ordered a Turkey club with Avocado as described in the in-room dining menu. Sandwich arrived with no Avocado, and enough mayonnaise to take up the same space. Light switches in the room were wired to some sort of master making it very challenging to turn off all lights or to turn them on. Seemed a constant battle between wall switches and fixture switches to receive lighting levels desired. Should be dimmers for bedside lamps, but they are either on or off with no adjustment for brightness. The alarm clock was some little lightweight plastic gadget that would fall on it's side with the lightest touch. I could not determine how to change from 24-hour time to 12-hour time, so it remained 12 hours off the correct time for the duration of my stay. I used my cell phone for an alarm. The towels were about Sheraton quality. Nothing soft, rich and luxurious feeling like you'd find at St. Regis or Ritz. No coffee options in room whatsoever. I understand the upsell potential for F&B but sometimes you just want a cup w/o a 15 minute wait. Particularly important for early morning flights before the Starbucks is open.
U stayed on the 4th floor, the Spa level with public access. This level requires no special access key for elevator, but my Ving-type room key would not seem to work in the hallway door between the elevator and the guest room. Usually after three careful insertion attempts the lock would finally open. Frustrating, inconvenient, particularly with shopping bags in tow. In the room there were not enough trash cans. One tiny one in the bathroom was all I could find. I did find the in-room dining hostess, Tracy, wonderful, upbeat and friendly. She should go work for the Ritz Carlton. While I'm impressed with Mandarin's mission statement and high-level guest service standards, I'm not sure I'll try Mandarin Oriental again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank pkdpwdr
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We just returend from a 2 night stay at the Mandarin Oriental Boston. Since it was my first time at this hotel, I had very high expectations. Unfortunatley they could not be meet, primarily because of some inconsistent service. We arrived from NYC, where we had a really wonderfull stay at The Peninsula, so our expectations might had been to high for the MOBOS. We arrived at 2 PM, was room was not ready. Waited in the lobby for 45 minutes, but nothing happend. Showed up at the front desk again and it was obvious from the clerks reaction that he had forgotten to keep up on us and our room. Nevertheless lobby and location is excellent to hang around for some time. Rooms are really nice and I would rate them as one of Bostons best. We had a deluxe room on the 5th floor overlooking Boylston Street. Our room was perfectly clean, but already showed minor signs of deterioration. There were multiple dents in the furniture as well as a huge hole in the wallpaper. More annoying was the breakfast at Asana. They overcharged us on both mornings and reacted amateurish and offended to my complaint. Majority of the staff was also only mildly friendly and acted synthetically. Nice plus is the free hotel car and the great location in the heart of Back Bay. Nevertheless the value-for-money ratio is somewhat less than perfect.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Great rooms, great location. No follow through with service. They say they will do something, then it never happens.
Returned to room 9:30pm no turn down service when I called they seemed surprised I wanted it.t

Nice hotel just keep your expectations low in the service department.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple